cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

to be completely honest i think it is fair to suggest we have the vive to thank for the tracking we have with the rift. I do fully believe the rift WAS meant to be primarily a forward facing 270 degree motion controller tracked device.

lol... right. Well, that's not how intellectual property works. However, I will simply respond to you with the same words you said to snowdog: You post with confidence, i will give you that, i imagine it will work well in an interview
😉

inovator said:
How can you say he has no clue and posts on faith. That may be true with the index. Nobody has tried that. But we have seen quite a few hands on with the rift s and quest.

Agreed. There are far too many hands-on Reviews of both Rift-S and Quest by notorious names (e.g. Tested) and tons of newcomers. Even people going to PAX events are raving about how good these HMD's are on Facebook's VR groups. The debates in this thread, and this forum in general, tend to focus too much on theorycrafting. Especially by those who want to intentionally take a negative stance due to the fact that Facebook has decided to avoid directly competing with the Vive Pro and Pimax HMD's.

There are TWO Races to the Bottom in PCVR today:
  1. Hardware spec wise. Vive Pro and Pimax 5K/8K are trying to race to the top tier of 1st Gen PCVR HMD's. While Facebook and Oculus appear to be racing to the bottom by going with a more cookie-cutter approach via inside-out tracking and something more affordable and convenient for the masses.
  2. Profit and Revenue. HTC ran out of money a long time ago and sold IP to Google to avoid Bankruptcy after over 9 consecutive Quarters (over 27 months) of pure financial loss. Pimax needed a Kickstarter to get out their 2nd Consumer products even though they were already on the market with a PCVR CV1 headset that was an epic flop. Both Pimax and HTC are racing to the bottom of the financial spectrum by tying their organization success to the top tier of PCVR which has already proven to be so niche and exclusive a market that on financial loss awaits. Meanwhile, Facebook and Oculus are racing to the top of the Global Mainstream Consumer Market with mass adoption.

In the year 2019, to argue in favor of manufacturing the highest-end of PCVR Hardware is in fact to argue in favor of embracing financial ruin.

Cookie cutter approach is actually a perfect description. Lol  oculus using a cookie cutter approach may = mainstream

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Wow, there was so much wrong in that entire wall of text that I can't figure out how to avoid writing a 10,000 word essay in response. That was some massive amounts of misinformation about VR and Technology with a healthy dose of misrepresentation and a side-dish of downplaying innovation. Bravo, sir!

I think you're a nice guy, Mradr, but I nominate that as: The worst post about VR and Technology of 2019.

LOL, but for real though:) Don't you remember all the VR headsets even around the DK1 and DK2 days that came out of the wood works around that time? If VR was hard to do - in terms of just getting it to work - then we wouldn't have seen cardboard VR. The idea of how VR works is simple enough even my little cousin can make it work in terms of throwing two off slightly view points to create a 3D image. I mean wasn't the point of PL goal was that VR could be made better than it was before just using off the shelf hardware for the DK1 release?

Clam down Zen sweetie, I was talking to Daftn to understand his point - not create a new 10 page argument:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the things you've listed there @Mradr are the equivalent of the nuts and bolts that car manufacturers rely on and can be used for everything from mobile phones to consoles as you say, rather than the roads and the gas (argh, you've gottn me into this analogy thing now!).

I'm talking about the infrastructure that people look at when they weigh up the pros and cons of buying into VR. I'm talking about game availability and to a lesser extent hardware compatibility and cost.

I'm talking about Oculus' business case and whether sustainability and profit is in site.

Fair enough:) I was just asking:)) I thought you was meaning having to create the technology. Agree then - VR did have to create the ecosystem it self for sure. I mean a store just doesn't come out of no where and having to feed with software too. 

But I know very little about cars so I am going to stay out of this:)

LZoltowski
Champion
PCVR cannot and will not survive on enthusiast level high end users alone, until there are enough regular VR users out there. (How many multiplayer games in VR have barren lobbies as there are not enough people around)

Gen 1 was an experiment for every company, now with enough data they can see that friction such as sensors, extreme resolutions (that require supercomputers to run, 1.6% of steam users have an RTX card), complicated setups are not what the mainstream wants or needs. GO was a huge success relative to the rift, "Price Point and Ease of Use, and no PC", that is what people want. Look at steam hardware surveys, most people play on potato laptops.

The car analogy is great tho, what is the point of owning a Ferrari when there are no roads to drive on and no fuel to feed it ... also pretty barren wasteland with not many other Ferrari owners to race with.

Other companies will create niche enthusiast level high-end hardware, that will give people more choice, whether they survive for long is another question.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

quick LZ, on that note close the thread

joking, joking

LZoltowski
Champion
People say it's a change of direction, of course, it is, they have the sales numbers, they have hardware logs on what people play on, they see how people play and see what are the most common issues. I would be worried if they didnt change direction based on the evidence.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

If Oculus were to post their accounts, sales figures, projections and confirm future hardware plans in this thread, that would help a lot to resolve this discussion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PCVR cannot and will not survive on enthusiast level high end users alone, until there are enough regular VR users out there. (How many multiplayer games in VR have barren lobbies as there are not enough people around)

Gen 1 was an experiment for every company, now with enough data they can see that friction such as sensors, extreme resolutions (that require supercomputers to run, 1.6% of steam users have an RTX card), complicated setups are not what the mainstream wants or needs. GO was a huge success relative to the rift, "Price Point and Ease of Use, and no PC", that is what people want. Look at steam hardware surveys, most people play on potato laptops.

The car analogy is great tho, what is the point of owning a Ferrari when there are no roads to drive on and no fuel to feed it ... also pretty barren wasteland with not many other Ferrari owners to race with.

Other companies will create niche enthusiast level high-end hardware, that will give people more choice, whether they survive for long is another question.

Oh boy - the can of worms was open once again xDDDD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

whic is why i "suggested" it and said what i believe...  there was no, or not meant to be any statement that i was making as a nailed on fact.

There most certainly was a statement that was you made that represented your words as a fact. When you said this, "to be completely honest."

You like to use both strong phrases and non-committal phrases in the same sentence as a tactical way to give you a scapegoat any moment someone counter-argues your point. But you should know that trick doesn't work on me!

and again, i was being misquoted i was not saying he has no clue about
the rift S that was a strawman argument that i never made..

You are not being misquoted and there is no strawman. How can you say this, "I was not saying he has no clue" when you literally said this, "the truth is you have no clue."  You do realize that the rest of us are capable of reading and understanding English right? You said this to snowdog word-for-word: the truth is you have no clue.

And you're now telling me this word-for-word: i was not saying he has no clue

And now I will say this word-for-word: bigmike20vt literally has no clue what it means to tell someone that they have no clue.

I also notice in both instances you completely warp any semblance of "truth" because you use phrases like, "to be completely honest" and "the truth is." My advice: Stop invoking what you think is the Truth and instead just work on being consistent. Also, stop telling people that they have no clue and then arguing moments later that you never claimed they had no clue! lol

LZoltowski
Champion
Anyway, I think this topic has been discussed ad nauseum ... I vote to close the thread.

Be kind to one another 🙂