cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

If Oculus were to post their accounts, sales figures, projections and confirm future hardware plans in this thread, that would help a lot to resolve this discussion.

Totally agree - though they would also need to come clean that this is a serious pivot (course correction) from the previous course and layout the implications for the existing user-base regarding this change (content cross-over, future support, etc.,) But sadly, as we know the communication skills towards the public are "limited" internally, and there is still an issue of restructuring going on since the last changes. Lets hope that with the release of Quest a new course can be defined and charted. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

Wow, there was so much wrong in that entire wall of text that I can't figure out how to avoid writing a 10,000 word essay in response. That was some massive amounts of misinformation about VR and Technology with a healthy dose of misrepresentation and a side-dish of downplaying innovation. Bravo, sir!

I think you're a nice guy, Mradr, but I nominate that as: The worst post about VR and Technology of 2019.

LOL, but for real though:) Don't you remember all the VR headsets even around the DK1 and DK2 days that came out of the wood works around that time? If VR was hard to do - in terms of just getting it to work - then we wouldn't have seen cardboard VR. The idea of how VR works is simple enough even my little cousin can make it work in terms of throwing two off slightly view points to create a 3D image. I mean wasn't the point of PL goal was that VR could be made better than it was before just using off the shelf hardware for the DK1 release?

Clam down Zen sweetie, I was talking to Daftn to understand his point - not create a new 10 page argument:)

Okay but on the for reals though...

You literally argued like this:
Since man invented The Wheel back in 3,500 B.C. the fact is that Cars, Trucks, Airplanes, Construction Vehicles, and even Boats have not really introduced anything new in terms of innovation... because they all rely on The Wheel which was already build centuries ago.

I think you should just reset and pretend that never happened. Or go back and edit your post and we can all pretend we didn't read it! lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Okay but on the for reals though...

You literally argued like this:
Since man invented The Wheel back in 3,500 B.C. the fact is that Cars, Trucks, Airplanes, Construction Vehicles, and even Boats have not really introduced anything new in terms of innovation... because they all rely on The Wheel which was already build centuries ago.

I think you should just reset and pretend that never happened. Or go back and edit your post and we can all pretend we didn't read it! lol

As they say - why keep reinventing the wheel if it already does what it should do:)? But as I said - that wasn't for you:) it was to understand what he was meaning:) Just ignore it sweetie.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

If Oculus were to post their accounts, sales figures, projections and confirm future hardware plans in this thread, that would help a lot to resolve this discussion.

Totally agree - though they would also need to come clean that this is a serious pivot (course correction) from the previous course and layout the implications for the existing user-base regarding this change (content cross-over, future support, etc.,) But sadly, as we know the communication skills towards the public are "limited" internally, and there is still an issue of restructuring going on since the last changes. Lets hope that with the release of Quest a new course can be defined and charted. 

I don't think it is fair to claim that Oculus should "come clean" about their "pivot (course correction)" when you have yet to come clean about your pivot (course correction) regarding the role Facebook and Oculus are playing in making Location-Based Entertainment a viable business model. Many of us read your posts from 2016-2018 where you argued that Consumer VR would only become mainstream if Location-Based Entertainment was able to "help drive it forward." Yet that never came to fruition. Now the world has witnessed Facebook and Oculus make Location-Based Entertainment more viable than ever with the launch of Oculus Quest. Prior to that, multiple articles have been released about the financial struggles and closures of LBE facilities around the world. LBE remained a struggling business model until very recently thanks to Oculus Quest.

Yet anytime someone brings this up, you take offense and deny the situation. Which, much like you enjoy accusing Oculus of doing, means you do not come clean about this serious pivot (course correction).

I think people should lead by example, especially if they are going to continue chastising public figures.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Anyway, I think this topic has been discussed ad nauseum ... I vote to close the thread.

Seconded. The thread is mostly "attack Oculus" vs "defend Oculus." And it's already attracting some of the older debates as well. Nothing new or insightful is really being discussed. I think the whole thing jumped the shark around Page 4.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

whic is why i "suggested" it and said what i believe...  there was no, or not meant to be any statement that i was making as a nailed on fact.

There most certainly was a statement that was you made that represented your words as a fact. When you said this, "to be completely honest."

You like to use both strong phrases and non-committal phrases in the same sentence as a tactical way to give you a scapegoat any moment someone counter-argues your point. But you should know that trick doesn't work on me!

and again, i was being misquoted i was not saying he has no clue about
the rift S that was a strawman argument that i never made..

You are not being misquoted and there is no strawman. How can you say this, "I was not saying he has no clue" when you literally said this, "the truth is you have no clue."  You do realize that the rest of us are capable of reading and understanding English right? You said this to snowdog word-for-word: the truth is you have no clue.

And you're now telling me this word-for-word: i was not saying he has no clue

And now I will say this word-for-word: bigmike20vt literally has no clue what it means to tell someone that they have no clue.

I also notice in both instances you completely warp any semblance of "truth" because you use phrases like, "to be completely honest" and "the truth is." My advice: Stop invoking what you think is the Truth and instead just work on being consistent. Also, stop telling people that they have no clue and then arguing moments later that you never claimed they had no clue! lol

Christ on a bike!!!

He has no clue about the dome like CV2 coming in 2022..... (neither does any of us outside of oculus) i think looking at it it is very clear i am not talking about riftS when i said that.

" The truth is you have no clue, and nether do I.  You HOPE an all singing
all dancing dome like hmd will come out in a few years time but really
you are just going on faith..."

I am not trying to give a get out clause, if i am wrong i am happy to put my hands up and admit it.  The "to be honest" was more about the conceding that it was valve how actually helped push oculus in a certain direction
it was in your response to the knockout blow image you gave of oculus knocking out the vive

*in my opinion, i could be wrong and oculus always intended to release a front facing system then change tactics 6 months or so after touch launch, but to me that seems unlikely*

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Anyway, I think this topic has been discussed ad nauseum ... I vote to close the thread.

Seconded. The thread is mostly "attack Oculus" vs "defend Oculus." And it's already attracting some of the older debates as well. Nothing new or insightful is really being discussed. I think the whole thing jumped the shark around Page 4.

I don't know - I think Page 8 took the cake on this one:)) Third it:)

Off-topic before it is close - should we start a monthly talking head stream of some of us just ducking it out :P?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

He has no clue about the dome like CV2 coming in 2022..... (neither does any of us outside of oculus) i think looking at it it is very clear i am not talking about riftS when i said that.

You are confusing 'clues' with 'facts.' The innovations of Dome were talked about at by Abrash at OC5. We received a lot of info on it, as well as confirmation that we shouldn't expect to see all of Dome's innovation "soon." In that context based on the facts presented, we can have a clue that 2022 is quite reasonable considering what was said at OC5 in 2018. It's certainly more of a 'clue' than you are giving credit for.

I am not trying to give a get out clause

Oh you sure did! And I pointed out exactly how you did it. I see no reason to repeat it. If you want to deny it, then good for you.
😉

if i am wrong i am happy to put my hands up and admit it.

Okay. Post a pic pls!

The "to be
honest" was more about the conceding that it was valve how actually
helped push oculus in a certain direct *in my opinion, i could be wrong
and oculus always intended to release a front facing system then change
tactics 6 months or so after touch launch, but to me that seems
unlikely*

That's not how "honesty" works. You can't say, "to be honest, there's no such thing as gravity." That's not honesty. I think you mean to say, "in my opinion."

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Christ on a bike!!!

LMAO, I have to admit I have never heard this phrase before! I'm stealing it!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
To be honest is actually a crap phrase and i should have used better but i was in a rush... but you posted that knockout blow (which was just a light hearted post i know) but i was just giving valve a bit of credit...... maybe the rift did knock out the vive, but if i am being honest (deliberately using that word now to show  the context i meant ) rather than just for comedy value, it is only fair to say that i believe they are part of the reason we got 360 degree tracking of controllers in the rift.

so yeah in my opinion would have been better... you see i am now (literally) putting my hands up and admitting it was poor use of words!.

jesus that is a lot of typing for a nothing post!.