cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Could Facebook Account Scores Impact You?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
This is a post from a discussion that was "surprisingly" closed by a moderator, but others wanted to try out the  little activity it suggested - and rather as suggested derailing another discussion it was felt best to share it here:

I think we need to break down the "account scores" that Facebook's teams might be evaluating in account holders before they consider action against accounts:

a- Previous Activities
Looking at if the account is regularly active[1], is the user in a high or low percentage of posters[2] and do they follow promotions and adverts[3]
[Total = ?]

b- Previous Behavior
Have they been banned or received moderator sanctions[1], have they been found pretending to be something they are not (or trustworthiness) [2], have they been accused of unsuitable behavior (or inauthentic) [3]
[Total = ?]

c- Community Standing
Are they in a net-worth group targeted by promotions[1], are they in a territory that is seen as advantageous to the service[2], do their activities draw other users interests[3]
[Total = ?]

d- Access to Metrics
Has the user supplied full personal information[1], is there means to collect biometric behavior,[2] are there means to collect their buying habits, preference and decision making metrics[3]
[Total = ?]

e- Brand Loyalty [EDIT - added, thanks MJ]
Is the user an owner of supported products and services[1]. has the user purchased products / services that were advertised to them (targeted)[2], and has the user suggested to other to do the same[3]
[Total = ?]

Obviously there will be some other tracking category's that are particular and secret to the organization but its fair to say these are the type of key account scores that will be harvested. This is particular to social apps like the new Horizon and also to monitoring activities in games. 

It must be understood that removal of anonymity of the account holders is essential to achieve the needed levels of social interaction that Facebook has striven for - they feel that anonymity allows some of the most counter productive behavior on the service. To secure advertising and sponsor revenue anonymity is not allowed.

Based on your score - then there will be access to forums, and to social entertainment, your access to special offers and your ability to achieve full functionality from your experience. For the majority of us we come across this behavior when we use our smartphone, or use our internet browsers (even when we shop online) - now this will happen when we use our consumer VR platform.

For many it will come as a very painful surprise what this will mean for the VR community. 

EDIT - I changed this a little so we can all play a game, assign each value one point and evaluate your score based on you perceived value - and share what you think your score would be?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
104 REPLIES 104

falken76
Expert Consultant
Who cares?  Seriously.  They'll use this data to try and advertise to me and it will have the same effect it did on SOE when the Planetside subscriber base started to dwindle, so they brought in advertisers in an attempt to bring in revenue.  The result was a bunch of stupid ads in parts of the game where it wasn't supposed to break immersion too much.  I'm guessing that facebook wants to target advertise to us, but I subconciously block all ads automatically because I've been using WWW since the days of Mosaic when it was the only browser.  I lived through the pop ups that were so bad.  I've been bombarded with advertisments so much I don't pay attention to them at all for the most part, and I'm willing to put money on the fact that many people do this as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Facebook is an over glorified modern day BBS.  I'd prefer to see the advertisments in the form of product placement but that's not flashy enough.  My only concern with using facebook with oculus is how they treat the oculus side of an account that has software that you spent money on, in the event of an account ban.

If there is confirmation that a ban on facebook would brick your HMD and all your software I will never purchase an oculus product again.  The parent company is IMHO a BBS which really is a series of SIGS (Special interest groups).  The parent company is extremely liberal in its beliefs.  I'm sure they'd silence those with opposing views, god forbid you have conservative view points that you share on their "SIGS" and then you get banned for having the "wrong" opinion, now all your games are blocked and your hardware bricked.  THAT is the only thing I'd be concerned about with this.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:

Who cares?  Seriously.  They'll use this data to try and advertise to me and it will have the same effect it did on SOE when the Planetside subscriber base started to dwindle, so they brought in advertisers in an attempt to bring in revenue.  The result was a bunch of stupid ads in parts of the game where it wasn't supposed to break immersion too much.  I'm guessing that facebook wants to target advertise to us, but I subconciously block all ads automatically because I've been using WWW since the days of Mosaic when it was the only browser.  I lived through the pop ups that were so bad.  I've been bombarded with advertisments so much I don't pay attention to them at all for the most part, and I'm willing to put money on the fact that many people do this as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Facebook is an over glorified modern day BBS.  I'd prefer to see the advertisments in the form of product placement but that's not flashy enough.  My only concern with using facebook with oculus is how they treat the oculus side of an account that has software that you spent money on, in the event of an account ban.

If there is confirmation that a ban on facebook would brick your HMD and all your software I will never purchase an oculus product again.  The parent company is IMHO a BBS which really is a series of SIGS (Special interest groups).  The parent company is extremely liberal in its beliefs.  I'm sure they'd silence those with opposing views, god forbid you have conservative view points that you share on their "SIGS" and then you get banned for having the "wrong" opinion, now all your games are blocked and your hardware bricked.  THAT is the only thing I'd be concerned about with this.

No, there has been no indication that full account bans will be handed out left and right, just a lot of sky-is-falling hyperbole claiming that this will happen. Oculus does not have a history of commonly banning people and locking them out of their purchases, and Facebook’s ban policy for free accounts does not necessarily indicate how they will treat paying customers with hardware and software tied to their accounts. 

Like you, I have a hard rule to never click on an ad (in my mind, it’s akin to clicking a link in a spam email). Even if I see something that catches my interest, I will go to the company’s page in a separate tab rather than let an ad link me through. Perhaps that makes me a “low value account” according to this score hypothesis, but frankly, I find this idea of account scores ridiculous, especially the suggestion that access to forums, features, or functionality will be gated by these scores. Does anyone actually believe this?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
I remember when City of Heroes decided to sell in-game advertising space. It was tastefully done, and not immersion breaking. Instead of an advertisement for a fictional restaurant called City of Gyros for example, there might be a billboard advertising McDonalds. You could opt out of these in-game ads, but they really weren't that intrusive. Many people in the forum went ape shit over it, claiming Cryptic (the developer) had betrayed the game. In truth, it made almost no difference.
I'd like to think this is how any adverts in Horizon will be done. I'd like to, but I suspect it'll be a bit more egregious then that. But I don't think we have to worry about unclosable paid ad windows popping up in Star Trek: Bridge Crew or our other games. Maybe commercials on before a Venue event or before a movie in Big Screen, but I that's probably the extent of that. I could see them having banner ads for things other then VR apps on your Home screen though.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

wuzp
Rising Star
Facefook would not be the first company to score users.  Sony is only allowing PS5 pre-orders, based on your brand loyalty.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
... Which is stupid. Exactly what metric are they using to decide 'brand loyalty'? When it came to getting a next gen console and upgrading from my SNES, I had options. I chose to get a Playstation. I bought a PS2 when they first came out, and to this day my PS1 and PS2 library is the bigger then my 360, XBOne, or any other game library. Still play them regularly too. I didn't buy a PS3 right away, but that was because I knew someone who had to replace his brand new PS3 three times in five months with normal usage. Besides, I didn't have the money for both a 360 and a PS3. Now I'm looking to get a PS3 in the near future. I didn't get a PSP, but I do have a Playstation Vita. Don't have too many physical games for it, but I have a decent collection of digital games. I'd have more, but the memory cards for it are expensive. I have a PS4 and a decent game library. Also have a PSVR setup with a good assortment of games. Not as many as I do now for PSVR and the Quest, but a good assortment.

But let me guess, because I didn't buy any of my Sony consoles directly from them, they aren't counted as 'brand loyalty? And I'm guessing the fact I got an X-Box One first due to that being what my friends and family having, and playing co-op games with them is going to hurt my 'brand loyalty' score? Or is it the fact that I don't feel the need to rebuy every X-Box One or PC game I have bought so I can play it on my PS4?
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

wuzp
Rising Star

Pixie40 said:
I'd like to think this is how any adverts in Horizon will be done. I'd like to, but I suspect it'll be a bit more egregious then that. But I don't think we have to worry about unclosable paid ad windows popping up in Star Trek: Bridge Crew or our other games. Maybe commercials on before a Venue event or before a movie in Big Screen, but I that's probably the extent of that. I could see them having banner ads for things other then VR apps on your Home screen though.

Nah, think "product placement" and in-app purchases.  Have you seen a few episodes of "Upload?"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
So this whole entire concept is based on a false narrative. There is zero evidence to ever suggest that Facebook uses such a scoring system. There was a Trust Score facebook introduced a few years ago:

But for those familiar with online activities, a Trust Score is no different than:
  • Getting a bunch of Likes on a Social Media comment (Twitter, YouTube, Facebook)
  • Getting a bunch of Upvotes on reddit
  • Getting upvotes on this forum

As I said in the original thread, I've been using Facebook for over a decade, and there is no such application of this type of scoring system. To be blunt: Facebook isn't that archaic.

This scoring system is more of a personalized list of how to discipline children in school. lmao

I still have no idea why people are going to such hyperbolic lengths. The reality is that this Facebook news was a long-time coming. Most of us in this community saw the writing on the wall years ago. And I've been asking for the Account Linking since like 2017.

Places like this forum and reddit are far more strict on how it "scores users" for warnings and bans than Facebook has ever been.

Did we really need a new thread just for a false narrative on an existing topic?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Interesting article on the realities of the FB advertising algorithms and how the User Scoring and Advertising targeting is employed and the inherent issues with this:

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^Ad rev runs and controls FB, always been that way, that is why FB were having a tizzy over on Apples platform, hell the irony of Zuckerberg complaining about Apples "stanglehold" over their iphone brand gave me a right old chuckle. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.