cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the Oculus Rift made me cry(and what it means to me)

Blyss4226
Rising Star
This thread may come off a bit weirdly to some of you, but I think also a lot of you will understand. I'm going to explain how the CV1 moved me to tears and what it really means to me. So here we go!

When I first heard about the Rift it was right before the DK2 was released. I had wanted something like virtual reality for a long time for a lot of reasons, but I never thought I'd see it come to fruition in my lifetime. I'm currently 32 years old by the way. Oculus got my hopes up. VERY highly. I wanted very badly to buy a DK2 but I just simply couldn't afford it. As I've said before I don't have a lot of money. In fact I had to save for most of a year to afford my CV1. And it was totally worth it.

I've had my Rift for a week now. And I absolutely love it to death. It
is the most amazing thing I've ever experienced and it absolutely
exceeded my expectations in every way. It's everything I'd hoped. It
will make my life so much better and happier. See, I'm disabled. There
are a lot of things I can't do because my body is very rekt. A lot of
things I want to do that I would NEVER be able to do. But now I can.
That has so much meaning to me that the first day I got to REALLY spend
time in the Rift(which was the third day I had it) I wound up crying inside of it(not recommended, kinda wrecks immersion :tongue: ). I realized that so many doors that
were forever shut to me are open now. So many things I would have never gotten to see or do can be seen and done now.

I don't know if you can understand the emotional weight of something like that. It's kind of like this. Imagine that you had no legs. And for most of your life, you haven't. But then one day somebody suddenly gives you legs. And now you can walk. It's like that. The major physical limitations I have suddenly matter a whole lot less. Sure, it'd be better to not have them at all. But that's not the life I live. This is the life I live. And Rift has already made it better.

And this is only the beginning.

I've said before in other threads that I lost a lot of faith in Oculus recently due to their incredibly tight lipped nature and refusing to reveal any information about what's going on at all. Unfortunately that still holds true. But the hardware... is everything I could have dreamed for. I fervently hope Oculus gets their s**t together and starts acting like a consumer oriented company instead of a faceless Facebook subsidiary. They've given me something so beautiful that it honestly hurts me to have to be suspicious of what they are doing and why they are doing it. But that is not what this thread is about. I just wanted to make it known that my position has not changed on this particular matter.

But the hardware... is nearly perfect.

I spend most of my life right here in this bedroom. Probably 90% of my time is spent right here. There is obviously a very limited amount of stuff you can do in a single room. Mostly I just do stuff on my PC. I moderate a forum(PCSX2), do lots of gaming, some coding, hang out with some really good friends in VOIP. But some days even that is too much. Some days it's too much to get out of bed and sit in this chair in front of my PC. That is how real and bad my problems with pain are. Right now my neck is just a massive fireball of pain, for instance. But it can get sooo much worse. Imagine not even being able to sit on your butt in front of your PC.

But I don't even have to get out of bed to use the Rift. Sure, it's better sitting here in my spinny chair. But the point is now, even on those days when I can't get out of bed at all I can experience life.

That is what the Rift means to me and that is what it gives me.

Life.

Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
64 REPLIES 64

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
I'm in a similar situation.  Nearly 6 years ago some meds I was taking destroyed my body.  I ended up with Ankylosing Spondylitis, fractures in my spine, immune problems, and gut problems.   I'm basically in 24/7 pain, and can't stand up for more than a couple of minutes at a time.  I don't leave my apartment and sometimes it gets really depressing.  The cabin fever kicks in and I lose my mind.  I don't have my Rift or Vive yet, but looking forward to a bit of an escape, as minimal as it might be.  I can't easily fool my mind into believing it's reality, but it could at least be a change in scenery, potentially. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Really glad to see the CV1 making a difference to people's lives and making them happy. 

Zambrick
Expert Protege
The same kind of thing happened to me in 2005. I used to be a very outdoors type person. Hiking, Fishing, Camping, and lots of different sports. I was 26 and my entire life as I knew it ended.

I woke up almost a month and half after the accident and had no idea what happened. I was told I may never walk but I beat that diagnosis. Now if I stand or walk for more than 15 minutes I am in so much pain that I am physically tired out. Cant jump, run, hell I cant even sit on the floor without the rod holding my leg together from feeling like its going to push out through my skin. 

I would give anything to be able to feel like I can run again. I would like to be able to feel like I am laying on the ground staring up at the sky on a sunny day. I would like to fish without being in pain. I would like to walk without being in pain. 

I am still waiting on my Rift and dont know if and when it will ever come. I was looking so forward to it being warm this summer and being able to at least have a fake reality of running or being outside for more than 15 minutes without pain. 

It makes me all the more excited when I read this post that the Rift may help me enjoy some of the things I used to like to do. After 11 years of this I am hoping that this may bring me some sort of peace. 

RobHermans
Superstar
I'm not usually a very emotional person, but some of these posts have me welling up...I think we should convince Oculus to forget the Kickstart backers (sorry) and pre-orders (sorry again!) and send the first available Rifts to guys like @Blyss4226, @agenttoff and @Zambrick ASAP. 

It's all too easy to just see things from our own perspective, and forget how many other perspectives there are, and there's something about forums that can bring out the worst in us, I've been guilty of it too. Thanks for writing this thread @Blyss4226, and thanks Oculus forum community, you're not a bad lot

fullmelt
Expert Protege
Like that one Rob, and DaftnDirect was hoping you did not cancel your order do to you new bathroom. 
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / I7 4790K 4.7 GHz OC / NZXT Kraken X61 280mm / 16 gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 Mhz / Evga GTX 980 SC OC, GPU Clock +124 MHz, MEM Clock +175 MHz / ADATA 256 gb SSD, CORSAIR 120 gb SSD, 2 TB HHD / win 10.

the bathroom's on hold @fullmelt... VR is far too important

...I've now got a permanent ring around my arse in the shape of a bucket

fullmelt
Expert Protege
@DaftnDirect That's awesome, very practically sent you a friend invite if you want to add me, will have rift in may.
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / I7 4790K 4.7 GHz OC / NZXT Kraken X61 280mm / 16 gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 Mhz / Evga GTX 980 SC OC, GPU Clock +124 MHz, MEM Clock +175 MHz / ADATA 256 gb SSD, CORSAIR 120 gb SSD, 2 TB HHD / win 10.

will do fullmelt... i have zero friends right now so anyone's welcome to add me

LZoltowski
Champion
@DaftnDirect   .. ZERO FRIENDS? how dare they .... unacceptable ... now where do I add you ? 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂