cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calibrate without controller in Oculus Home?

hapklaar
Explorer
I don't have my CV1 yet, but want to taste the 1.3 runtime sweetness with my DK2. So, I've uninstalled 0.8, installed latest NVidia drivers and then Oculus Home. Now it asks me to continue in VR, on the headset. In there it says "Press the A button on your controller to continue". I can't get past this screen, because I have no controller. If I quit this screen and start Elite Dangerous, Oculus Home starts again, on this screen.

Help!?
17 REPLIES 17

cybereality
Grand Champion
You may need to use a controller to get past this step. In any case, even if you got past the steps, many of the games require a controller as mouse/keyboard is not necessarily supported. I'd recommend Xbox One or 360 controllers for best compatibility but other XInput-compatible controllers can also work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

EspireMike
Honored Guest
I have also been stuck at this step - trying to reset the default view but I must press A on the controller to continue. I don't have a controller handy and it's not possible to cancel and return to Oculus home. If I try to close and restart the app, it always opens to this calibration screen!

Firefly7411
Honored Guest
Same problem here ... is it so complicated to support enter and backspace? Means ok/select and back should even the most used action on the controller...

strokercrate
Adventurer
Have you tried to map a virtual controller? A quick google search will show many options including how to map an xbox controller to the keyboard, and programs to d/l to help with the process

Vrally
Protege
This is soo bad UX design that the person responsible for the XBOX only option should be fired.

This happened to me today:

Brought home on of our DK2 units from work (haven't got my real Rift yet) to demo for some teenagers in our extended family. The first demo went ok; showed the Henry movie and everything went smooth. When the next person was up the orientation had shifted 90 degrees. So I followed the guide how to reset the orientation.

BIG MISTAKE!

So I got the "Press A on your XBox Controller to Continue" message. But I don't have any XBox controller. And the closest store is more than one hour drive away. Ok. So I just restart the Oculus Home application?

SURPRISE! The calibration screen is now starting automatically, since I didn't finish it last time. Reboot computer! Same calibration screen! Delete everything Oculus related in the %APPDATA% folder. Still getting the calibration screen.

So I had to tell the rest of the kids; Sorry! No demo for you!
I actually think one of them cried.

So why should XBox A-button be the only option? Why isn't space-bar, escape or any other key on the keyboard a valid option??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st6-DgWeuos

korzman
Protege

On this point I feel that complaining is not justified. Oculus provides a controller with the commercial product. If you are trying to use the software with something else then it's on you to get it working. DK2 is a developer kit. It was for developers to create software prior to commercial release. Since the commercial release is out, and the packaged controller is an Xbox One controller it is perfectly reasonable to expect that the user has this device.

Vrally
Protege

korzman said:

On this point I feel that complaining is not justified. Oculus provides a controller with the commercial product. If you are trying to use the software with something else then it's on you to get it working. DK2 is a developer kit. It was for developers to create software prior to commercial release. Since the commercial release is out, and the packaged controller is an Xbox One controller it is perfectly reasonable to expect that the user has this device.

I have demoed the Oculus Rift for thousands of people as well as
integrated its SDK to a very popular simulation engine and certainly
been a very avid evangelist for Oculus. But a simple request to make
demoing easier is apparently unjustified.

Oculus have shipped over 100 000 DK2 units and orders for the Consumer Rift is still pending for most people. (And even people owning the CV Rift may forge their controller when on the road.) But I guess that having "any key" as a fallback option is obviously impossible and nothing the good people at Oculus could not add within 10 minutes if they wanted to.

korzman
Protege

it's not impossible, but it seems as though getting emotional over not being able to use an older piece of equipment instead of the currently shipping product is unwarranted. You should expect difficulties in that situation. Furthermore, supporting older hardware/software combinations may be counter to the corporate vision, and instead of going primarily with word of mouth demonstrations on older hardware they want to showcase the build quality and software experience of the actual product demo'd by paid employees at specified locations, such as Best Buy to ensure continuity of messaging and PR.

I'm not saying that it's impossible or even difficult to implement something like an "any key", but getting upset that something is not supported even though it's on your wish list and you want to show something off (technology, software, VR ... etc) is a bit unreasonable.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I seriously doubt that anyone that emotional over the A Button has successfully demo'd anything technical to anyone.

I agree that a configuration file manipulation to map keys would be a great future update.