cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Oculus as a second monitor?

RuiS517
Honored Guest
Hello,

I would like to launch my own view which is not developed by unity and not an app in the Oculus. I hope I could transfer view through HDMI. That is to say, using Oculus as a second monitor. But I tried in 'Display', computer cannot detect the device.  My GPU is NIVDIA 660. Is there anyone that could share experience?

Thanks a lot!
4 REPLIES 4

LZoltowski
Champion
Heya, if you are after a virtual desktop in your rift, then you should check out:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/search/?q=Big+screen+beta

It's free.

You can also use Oculus Home 2.0 beta and provided you are running on WIndows 10, you can view the desktop without any third party apps. You can even pin that desktop inside of any other VR app. It's the little monitor Icon on your dash.

f0u1qieb12aw.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

VizualStudio
Honored Guest

RuiS517 said:

Hello,

I would like to launch my own view which is not developed by unity and not an app in the Oculus. I hope I could transfer view through HDMI. That is to say, using Oculus as a second monitor. But I tried in 'Display', computer cannot detect the device.  And I found most of information about this is an app named Virtual Desktop which costs money. 

Someone has ways to solve this problem without costing money?

Thanks a lot!

My laptop here has an Intel 5500 GPU and it detects the Rift so the laptop display can be extended and mirrored into the Rift.  However, it isn't any good for VR.
It is frustrating that a more techncially advanced GPU such as an NVIDIA 980 cannot do this.  Or can it?

RuiS517
Honored Guest

RuiS517 said:

Hello,

I would like to launch my own view which is not developed by unity and not an app in the Oculus. I hope I could transfer view through HDMI. That is to say, using Oculus as a second monitor. But I tried in 'Display', computer cannot detect the device.  And I found most of information about this is an app named Virtual Desktop which costs money. 

Someone has ways to solve this problem without costing money?

Thanks a lot!

My laptop here has an Intel 5500 GPU and it detects the Rift so the laptop display can be extended and mirrored into the Rift.  However, it isn't any good for VR.
It is frustrating that a more techncially advanced GPU such as an NVIDIA 980 cannot do this.  Or can it?

Hello,

My GPU is NVIDIA 660, I cannot detect device. I prefer to extend my Oculus as the monitor. Could you please share your experience?

RuiS517
Honored Guest

Heya, if you are after a virtual desktop in your rift, then you should check out:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/search/?q=Big+screen+beta

It's free.

You can also use Oculus Home 2.0 beta and provided you are running on WIndows 10, you can view the desktop without any third party apps. You can even pin that desktop inside of any other VR app. It's the little monitor Icon on your dash.

f0u1qieb12aw.jpg

Hello,

Or if there any way to extend my oculus as a monitor? Not use these apps?

Thanks!