cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How well does the Oculus work for a person who is blind in one eye?

SyberSerpent
Honored Guest
I'm not sure if it's been asked before or not but I am curious. I've never been able to watch any thing in 3D because of my eye and I was wondering if this is a problem with the Oculus as well.
13 REPLIES 13

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Well...If you're blind in one eye you'll never see depth,so...Not really a problem with oculus but with you.  However, the head and positional tracking and everything else will work just fine.  You'll be wasting 50% of the CPU/GPU load though.

ambientsound
Protege
My father is blind in one eye, and it is no different than what he experiences in day to day life. The tracking and movement of objects is exactly as he experiences it in reality.

water_
Adventurer
You might be better off just buying an expensive monitor and a head tracking system. If you are going to miss out on the 3d effects anyways you might as well have superior resolution and fov. Maybe call around to your local best buys and see if they have a oculus display you could try out.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
I would say VR could still be pretty awesome for a person with sight in just one eye.  You wouldn't get the same pop from the 3D, but you could still benefit from the positional tracking and having the HMD basically surround you with screen.  Since they are used to that view in real life, VR should work in much the same manner. 
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

frantic
Protege
I think you'll be fine. For me VR works just fine with one eye closed. Your brain actually compensates for the lack of stereovision when viewing with one eye. You actually get a much better perception of depth in games  looking at a monitor and closing one eye, because your brain must figure out the distances then. I used to do it Skyrim sometimes. Sat closer to the monitor, upped the FOV and closed one eye, voila semi depth perception.  😉

SlimBoyFat
Adventurer
Should be no different from the world you see around you every day. And the benefit over a conventional display in terms of tracking will still be huge. Your still going to be in a virtual world rather than looking at it through a window.
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2

Hi @SyberSerpent, you're not alone in asking that question... and the Rift has been demo'd to people who are blind in one eye with the result that they report as much enjoyment from VR as anyone else. It's also been noted that the perception of 3D is also possible for people with single-eye vision because of the ability to move the head from side to side to build that information.

I guess it may be something that's done without thinking but because the Rift tracks head movement, the perception of depth should be as good for you in VR as it is in real life.

I made the comment in another thread on the subject that it would be great for you if the rendering of one of the Rift images could be disabled, thereby decreasing the load on the PC... increasing the frame rate, it would be an interesting project for someone at Oculus to add that option.

Tashiy
Explorer

I made the comment in another thread on the subject that it would be great for you if the rendering of one of the Rift images could be disabled, thereby decreasing the load on the PC... increasing the frame rate, it would be an interesting project for someone at Oculus to add that option.

I'm also stereoblind. I created a tread regarding this, but no nobody replied till now: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/31069/disable-stereoscopic-view#latest

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The other day while wearing the Rift for longer than I care to admit, one of my contact lenses became uncomfortably dry. Rather than remove the Rift to lubricate my eye as any sane person would, I chose to simply shut it and play the reminder of my game one-eyed. I found that there was zero difference other than the fact that my mind "knew" that one eye was closed.

Oh and according to one of my favorite sites, Something Awful, the Rift can help the blind see:
"the headset makes it possible for blind people to see "

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/virtual-reality-headset/