cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei VR Glass headset releases on Thursday

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
The VR Glass is a new 3DOF headset from Huawei.
They are a very small and light headset featuring 1600x1600 per eye, FOV lower than an Index but probably higher than a Rift. It weighs only 166g, a lot lighter than the 571g Quest.

The really interesting thing is that each lens has a 0-700 degree diopter adjustment ring, which lets you dial in a value to correct your vision so you don't need glasses.
The price is around $400us.

bddpaok17u2y.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
4 REPLIES 4

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It's out now. I've found one store with it for $499us, but it's mainly for the chinese market at the moment.

Some more specs:
- 55mm to 71mm IPD
- it can be run (via USB-C cable) from a phone or a PC. For phone use it's screen is 70Hz, for PC it's 90Hz.
- The Huawei watch can stream fitness data to the headset for display
- Two apps can run at once. They give the example of watching a movie while chatting on WeChat.
- 90 degree FOV (don't know if diagonal or not)
- Built in dual speakers
- Bluetooth headphone support
- You can use the phone that's running it instead of the controller
- Will have 30000 hours of VR video, 3 VR live broadcast platforms and over 100 games

I've seen several mentions of it apparently being both 3DOF and 6DOF.
Gearbest website says: "HUAWEI VR Glass supports 3DoF and 6DoF positioning interactively, which is a point that many people in the industry do not understand."
Vopmart store specs includes: "Support 3DoF and 6DoF (degrees of freedom)"
I can't find any info on what this means though.

Using my phone with google translate I've translated one slide from the launch video to say: "Computer mode turn on 6DOF geek play".

The launch event:  (it's all chinese with no subtitles or auto translation)

It looks like it would be a good alternative to a Go for travel (so light and small, but higher res) although a major downside is it costs more than a Quest and it's not stand alone (must be plugged into a phone or PC).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Level 15
How are HUAWEI able to make a VR headset that weighs this when all the other big VR companies are making bricks in comparison. I take it that it doesn't connect to Steam VR, correct? 

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It's not officially listed, but the hands on review I saw said they believed it was running SteamVR for the PC mode.

RedRizla said:

How are HUAWEI able to make a VR headset that weighs this when all the other big VR companies are making bricks in comparison.

Huawei is an electronics company with double the revenue of Facebook and an R&D department with 76000 employees. As a phone maker, they are used to packing lots of stuff into a small package.

Luciferous
Level 12
Its not the size of the package that counts 😉 Although my wife disagrees.