cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE my Rift and I'm both confused and disappointed

Exigeous
Protege
First let me say I don't mean this to be a rant post but rather more of a gut check - in many ways I want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with either me gear (CV1), myself (physically?) or simply my expectations (likely). So let me explain as briefly as I can as I really do want some feedback and input from you guys.

First a bit about me and my system.  I've worked in IT for 20+ years, mostly networking and management.  I've been a gamer since I was about 8, my parents literally had the first consumer Pong game then quickly Atari 2400.  I've been through all the consoles but have mostly been a PC gamer since my 20's with periods of heavy gaming (20+ hours a week) or little gaming (1 hour per 20 weeks).  Currently I have an extremely high end cockpit based sim racing system.  3 27" 4K monitors, 2 Titan Z cards, 6770k, 32GB Ram, RAID0 250GB SSD, etc. etc.  Pretty much spared no expense.  a 5 way ButtKicker vibration system and multiple high end wheels/joysticks from Thrustmaster, Fanatac, etc. etc. (way too much to list).  I'm mostly a sim racer (real racing instructor in real life, race a Lotus Exige) so my entire system is based around racing, mostly Project Cars, iRacing and Dirt Rally.  I do play some flight sims like Elite Dangerous so I was pretty psyched with Eve: Valkerie.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way - don't at all want to seem like a douche/ass/prick, but also want to show that I do know what I'm talking about and am not some total newbie idiot.  I've been sold on VR for a long time, in concept anyway and believe that 20+ years from now we'll look back on it as the 2nd big shift in computing, after the IBM Jr. / Home PC.  I haven't used DK2 in a very long time as when I did it was far too low quality for me with the SDE (screen door effect) way too intense.  I'm somewhat overly sensitive to that as I'm also a home theatre buff and had one of the early home theatre projectors back in the mid-90's, a Sharp HomeVision that was something like 640x480 so at 100" HUGE SDE.  I knew that was a small issue still with most reviews saying it went away almost instantly as everything else is so good and intense.  Ok, let's get started with my issues.

The SDE is HUGE.  As in I can't stand it HUGE.  It's an issue everywhere.  It doesn't go away and I can never stop seeing it.  Even in a dark game like Eve I see it constantly and can't stop letting it drive me crazy.  It's like it's just constantly ruining everything for me.  Next I'm constantly seeing a blur from the lenses to my eyes.  I think it's something to do with the moisture that develops on my cheeks almost instantly.  I keep 3 fans pointed at my face with one pointing up from underneath to get some airflow into the headset and while that helps it doesn't eliminate the sweat.  I'm seated (in my Obutto Ozone cockpit) in a basement room that's very cool compared to the house (probably 65 at the highest) so not a hot room.  After 20+ minutes of time I have to take the headset off for a few minutes to cool my face off and let all the sweat dry enough to get another 10-20 minutes.

When I play Project Cars my thoughts are "this looks horrible, the graphics quality is awful and the SDE is HUGE".  The reviews I read are exactly the opposite, they talk about how amazing it looks, they can't believe their eyes, they are "driving a car" not playing a game.  For me I couldn't feel more the opposite.  When I play my 3 27" setup, on full Ultra at 90+ FPS it looks STUNNING.  Everyone that plays it can't believe how real and amazing it looks.  I put on the headset and it's like I've stepped back 10 years in quality.  It's blurry (as previously noted) and again the SDE is huge.  I swear I keep thinking they put DK2 screens in my CV1 headset.

So, ok, that's enough for now.  I have many other complaints, in fact the only thing I can say good about it is the head tracking is incredibly perfect and smooth.  I am pretty blown away they can do that so perfectly without it ever once jumping or glitching, it really is impressive.  Everything else to my eyes, well, sucks.  I just read someone's first impression of the Dinosaur that attacks you in the theatre and how incredible it was.  My first impression of that was "are you kidding, this looks AWFUL."

Is it me???  If so please help me fix me??  Do I just have far too high expectations??  Help me please?!?!?!  🙂

-Ross
154 REPLIES 154

FingerMcPokeye
Heroic Explorer

wickfut said:

This is VR and until P.C.s get fast enough that is what we are stuck with. The P.C. is the limiting factor. Upping the resolution isn't a massive problem. Getting a p.c. to be able to run that resolution is the problem.

My PC is able to run higher res, it's other peoples which are lowering the standard. 

You're not running 4K *pegged* at 90 FPS *for each eye*.  Good humblebrag though, bro.

Exigeous
Protege

wickfut said:

This is VR and until P.C.s get fast enough that is what we are stuck with. The P.C. is the limiting factor. Upping the resolution isn't a massive problem. Getting a p.c. to be able to run that resolution is the problem.

My PC is able to run higher res, it's other peoples which are lowering the standard. 

You're not running 4K *pegged* at 90 FPS *for each eye*.  Good humblebrag though, bro.

Why would you say that, did I miss something and he posted the specs for his PC?  Right now I'm running 3x 4K displays where I have the framerate locked at 60fps (for my displays vs. the 90 for the Rift).  I can run every game I've thrown at it with full Ultra settings and it looks glorious.  That said I do have $3000 worth of videocards.

Which is another HUGE negative I haven't seen discussed, you can use SLI/XFire with the Rift.  When I saw that I almost packed it up right then.  So instead of using the 4 GPUs I have I only can use 1 - seriously?  Ugh again.

minimoo
Explorer
just lower your expectation, problem SOLVED.  

kojack
MVP
MVP

Exigeous said:

wickfut said:

Why would you say that, did I miss something and he posted the specs for his PC?  Right now I'm running 3x 4K displays where I have the framerate locked at 60fps (for my displays vs. the 90 for the Rift).  I can run every game I've thrown at it with full Ultra settings and it looks glorious.  That said I do have $3000 worth of videocards.

Which is another HUGE negative I haven't seen discussed, you can use SLI/XFire with the Rift.  When I saw that I almost packed it up right then.  So instead of using the 4 GPUs I have I only can use 1 - seriously?  Ugh again.

Both AMD and Nvidia support SLI for VR, but it's up to the game developers to support it, it's not something Oculus can do in the rift sdk. This needs the game engine to explicitly change the render pipeline.

Your triple monitors are also probably using a single viewport at 48:9 or 48:10 ratio. No matter what the resolution is, the geometry processing workload is going to be half of what VR requires. At least until the GTX1080 with it's multiple simultaneous viewports (although I don't trust nvidia's claim that it's got no performance hit).
It depends on the program though, it might really be running multiple viewports with custom transforms for each monitor, but my experience with triple monitors says that's unlikely.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pjenness
Rising Star

wickfut said:

If Oculus also said you need a 980Ti minimum spec but the screens are 4k, most of the enthusiasts would have took it on the chin without questioning it and rushed to buy 980Ti.

Agreed

If they said today

The new 1080 powers our new CV1b 4k screen version, but you need 64G ram also and at least i7s.....

....Im sold! Sign me up.

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

Luciferous
Consultant
Well Op I think you summed it up nicely but as its such a huge thread people do not tend to read all the messages so the post will probably just go round in a loop. The Rift is not great for distance games and you are a distance gamer, although with the exception of Elite dangerous which I find strangely brilliant. PS I was joking about putting a car in your bedroom  🙂

Thoemse
Protege
It really depends on what you wanna do with it. To play competitive it wont help you. I still like the plus on immersion.

I also run 3x 27 inch displays and a fanatec CSW + CS Pedals but it prefer the Vive over the monitors. It is far from perfect for racing sims though because you simply lack resoution compared to three displays.

When i play the Gallery or Hover Junkers this is much less of an issue than in assetto corsa.

Rift and Vive show hgow immersive VR can be for racing sims and i like it a lot. For competitive racing we need higher resolution though. Considering that the OP bought this only for sims it seems, I can apreciate why he is so disappointed.

Personally i have only one of my three displays in use since i got my vive - and only to power up steam VR.

moonpigsART
Protege
It's you op, I find your issues with the rift to be way over exaggerated but I see that you have come to realize that it is indeed you that is the problem.

flyingsaucers
Expert Protege

It's you op, I find your issues with the rift to be way over exaggerated but I see that you have come to realize that it is indeed you that is the problem.

It's not him. I'm not the OP and I had the same experience as he did (minus the hate - more disappointment than hate). It's silly to act like everyone will be blown away by the Rift. It's an awesome piece of tech in many ways, but the aforementioned limitations make it very difficult to use as a serious gaming device from someone coming from a 4k ultra-wide/multi-monitor setup. If that's not you, and your socks are knocked off, then great, good for you. But don't act like other people's opinions are invalid.  

There's also the comfort issue. As a glasses wearer, I was shocked at how difficult it is to get a comfortable fit around glasses. 

mbze430
Rising Star

I wonder if it would be possible for Oculus as a company to release two versions of the same HMD? If it would be a viable option? One with high spec 4K screens or and then the CV1 version with 1080P screen? 

Pffffftttt, There is a review of the 1080 with Oculus and it still can't run the CV1 with MAX settings in PCars.  What good would it do if there is a 4k screen version.  There is nothing out there that can push that type of pixel.

When I read that article, I am just going to wait for a 1080TI and SLI that, maybe by that time we have titles with VR SLI support. 

As of today, there is NO VR SLI support.  Using a single card just doesn't have enough power even for those of us with 980TI, Titan X, and the soon to be release 1080. Cause my current 980ti SLI is a waste for VR
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe