cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a 1070 and can't use it. Stupid old case

kzintzi
Trustee
This isn't really a discussion, but I thought you guys would find it amusing.

I bought a 1070 this weekend and it turns out it won't fit into my old case. My desk has a built in spot for my PC with cable runs et al (I had the desk built 15 years ago and have schlepped it to every house ever since coz it's huge), so I've not upgraded my case since the early 2000's..

now I need a case that'll take a 31cm video card, and apparently a new power supply since they changed the power connector from 6 pin to 6+2. Talk about disappointed... Oh and my wife told me I can't buy them until next pay :tongue:
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
8 REPLIES 8

PIXELATED
Adventurer
very happy with this case.. gtx 1080 fits inside no probs - cheap too 😄

Box: £43.37 inc shipping

Game Max Silent Gaming PC Case, USB 3.0, GMX-SILENT

Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

comrbak
Protege
I really like the Fractal Design R4 (or R5, newer version but slightly more expensive)! It has PLENTY of room, it`s noise reducing and has a good cable management combined with an radiator control panel.
082xxx - SHIPPED

lupinglade
Protege
Definitely would second Fractal Design R5, great case!

edmg
Trustee
Do the Fractal Design cases still have the foam filters/sound-deadening for the top-mounted fans?

I had an R2 for my home server. One night last winter, something short-circuited in the Blu-Ray drive, and set the foam on fire. By the time we woke up, flames were spurting out of the top of the case as the foam burned. I ended up with a few thousand dollars of damage, and standing half-naked on the porch with the hamster at ten below zero.

So it was a pretty good case, and very quiet, but I'm not having foam inside a PC again.

paulovich
Explorer
I've 1080 on Corsair Vengeance case, love this case because a lot of space, very convenient to open. A bit too heavy.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I spent a lot of time browsing cases when I did my new build a couple years ago--I wanted something nice that didn't look like a Decepticon. (Also, USB 3.0 front ports.)

I settled on the Corsair Obsidian 450D (they also make a 750D if you prefer a really big case). 

Anyway, don't look at this as a set-back, consider it an opportunity to upgrade to a sleek new PC case befitting the high-end technology within.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Roaster
Rising Star
Perhaps a GFCI receptacle would help shut everything down, at least for a short to ground.  Fire scary.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

edmg
Trustee
We now have all the electronics plugged into power bars and turn them off at night, just in case :).