cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't agree to the new terms of service

Michael_Jacobse
Level 2
I do not agree to the new terms of service I recently received. I don't want to ever use a Facebook account with my Rift S. 
I regard this change in terms to be a violation of promises made by the company that this would never happen.
How can I return my Rift S for a refund. I have contacted support about it too.
20 REPLIES 20

OmegaM4N
Level 11
You still have until Jan 21st 2023 to use it as you do now, so you basically got still over 2 years to continue to use the rift without a FB account, then i suspect there will be alot more VR options open to the consumer.......but if you are in the UK/EU  then you can return your S to the place of purchase citing the change being made after you bough the product as you have a 2 year standard warrenty,, but outside the EU i don't know what kind of warrenties are given.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Level 16
Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased] Its not cut and dry @OmegaM4N that things will be unchanged till BANG we hit New Year 2023 - there are suggestions that functionality will be gearing down.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

dburne
Level 16
This was posted on FB a short while ago...

"If you log in using your Facebook account or merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts and violate the Facebook Community Standards, Conduct in VR Policy or other terms and policies on any of our platforms your access to or use of Oculus products may be impacted," a spokesperson replied.
"If your account is fully disabled as a result of this violation you may also lose access to your [games and content]. We are committed to keeping all of our platforms safer."
This appears to apply to a wide range of violations, including infractions like violence, criminal behavior, and fraud, as well as using pseudonyms instead of real names, using a fake date of birth, posting graphic content or anything else Facebook deems objectionable."
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

kevinw729 said:

Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased]

Citation please.

The announcement says:

Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If
    you are an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you will
    have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and
    Facebook accounts.

• If you are an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

Starting In January 2023:

• We will end support for Oculus accounts.

• If
    you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue
    using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook
    account.

• We will take steps to
    allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though some games
    and apps may no longer work. This could be because they require a
    Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support
    the app or game you purchased.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Level 11

kevinw729 said:

Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased] Its not cut and dry @OmegaM4N that things will be unchanged till BANG we hit New Year 2023 - there are suggestions that functionality will be gearing down.

I am just pointing out the basics without going into too much detail, and yes thing could change in a heartbeat when it comes to FB, that is the only true constant in all this.;)

ShocksVR
Level 9
@ OP, like Omega said, you have until Jan 2023 before you need to act. Until then you are free to use your Rift S without a FB account.
That said, even after 2023 approaches, the User Account FAQ states you'll still have access to your Rift S even if you don't merge your FB account (but it does sound like you may lose access to some Oculus games/experiences).
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), Oculus Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

kevinw729
Level 16

OmegaM4N said:

kevinw729 said:

I am just pointing out the basics without going into too much detail, and yes thing could change in a heartbeat when it comes to FB, that is the only true constant in all this.;)

Oh Bro., not arguing with you in the slightest.
I have clients that had the rug pulled from a agreement on ToS in a heartbeat, and that doubled down on the issue with depending on the "word" of a company that has revision 8.3 of their ToS on line at the moment!

I expect in 2023 a lot of posters suddenly saying - "hey that was not the deal!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpE_xMRiCLE
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Nunyabinez
Level 8
The thing that concerns me, is that I have two Rifts and a Quest so that my kids can play with me when they come visit. I have two Facebook accounts, one with my legal name and a second with my Chinese name (I also speak Chinese). 

How would I be able to buy several headsets, buy multiple versions of a game so we can play multiplayer if I am limited to a single Facebook account? Unless they have family sharing or multiple user accounts on one device, it won't work.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

OmegaM4N
Level 11
^^^Tell me about it, i ran a floor covering business for many years but had to close down because the rug was pulled for beneath me.

I am hear all week. lol