cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not...

jkendt1989
Explorer
I bought my first VR headset last weekend and I'm having this weird side effect. 

When I look at my hands, I feel like they're not really my hands, like they're the Rift hands. Even when looking at my monitor I get the exact feeling like I'm looking my monitor in Big Screen. Like it's in VR and it's in 3d almost. 

The weirdest disconnect is with my hands. Even typing this I feel like my arms aren't there and it's just my hands moving. 

I love my VR and I am def keeping it. Just a very trippy feeling right now. 

I'm 100% not BS'ing. It's a very strange experience right now. 
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

KillCard said:

KillCard said:

For me not much happened at first but after a while I started noticing Judder in real life, lol.

I have this same "feeling/experiance"  I keep getting visual "slip" like when the headset looses tracking for a moment.  I even "see" it in bed with my eyes closed!!

Very odd, but also entertaining lol

I never had it prior to getting my Rift.

Right? .. yea it used to happen especially whenever something moved past me .. like standing on the sidewalk and a car flew by .. something about the detection of "sudden movement" triggered a visual response similar to the judder/skip you experience in VR sometimes.

Havent seen it in a year though ... was definitely a trip.

I also experienced this a lot after getting my rift. I would be outside, looking down at something, and a car would appear to "lag" past me when it drew my attention. How odd. Must be something that happens to quite a few people 

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
Playing skyrim in vr i move my head to look up and down. Then when playing on my hdtv/monitor i instinctively tried looking up and down to look around and nothing happens. I felt so unsatisfied!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
We have had this issue since the 1960's when the first dedicated visual flight simulators came into effect on wide-scale adoption. Those back then used "model boards" but still game enough of a immersive effect that pilots would report "phasing" (the person feels as if they are still taking part in the simulation even in real life). This was best illustrated by the number of RTA's that took place on base that were blamed on "phasing".

Back in 1996 we worked on a VR project that also had the same problem, people felt they were still in the sim after finishing. It was weird as I experienced it myself. That slight feeling of disconnectedness. Jump forward to recently and I had "phasing" again - this time though it was slightly different. It was associated with the latest PC Backpack VR experiences. 

I think this is always going to be with us - the tech equivalent to "sea-legs".
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Neokin
Adventurer

Playing skyrim in vr i move my head to look up and down. Then when playing on my hdtv/monitor i instinctively tried looking up and down to look around and nothing happens. I felt so unsatisfied!

Pancake games will never feel the same after VR. They're too restrictive!

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

We have had this issue since the 1960's when the first dedicated visual flight simulators came into effect on wide-scale adoption. Those back then used "model boards" but still game enough of a immersive effect that pilots would report "phasing" (the person feels as if they are still taking part in the simulation even in real life). This was best illustrated by the number of RTA's that took place on base that were blamed on "phasing".

Back in 1996 we worked on a VR project that also had the same problem, people felt they were still in the sim after finishing. It was weird as I experienced it myself. That slight feeling of disconnectedness. Jump forward to recently and I had "phasing" again - this time though it was slightly different. It was associated with the latest PC Backpack VR experiences. 

I think this is always going to be with us - the tech equivalent to "sea-legs".

Heh I love the term "phasing"  ...  makes it sound like I am coming out of the matrix.

"Honey are you alright, you seem a bit strange"
"Oh, don't worry, I'm just phasing!"

homer simpson GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant
I don't really get the weird feeling afterwards at all now.  When I first tried VR (Rift era, not 90s, I can't remember feeling sick after playing it in the 90s) I felt this weird disconnect every now and then.  But now I'm fine.  The one time that VR did concern me was when I played DCS World for 3 hours straight.  At the time I hadn't even completely gotten my VR legs, I was ok in Onward but that was about it.  I started feeling weird in DCS about 45 minutes into it, but I kept playing.  Next thing you know it's been 3 hours.  I felt dizzy for 3 days straight after that.  I had forgotten that I played VR on the 2nd day and thought I was having heart problems causing me to be constantly dizzy.  When it passed on the 3rd day I had remembered the only thing I had done differently was play VR for such a long time.  I was afraid to use VR again, but eventually I just got back into gaming on it, but now I was completely cured of any of the motion sickness issues I had with the rift prior to that 3 hour session of DCS.  Only one game is able to make me feel weird now so far and that's The Forrest, probably because the sessions in that game are so long that the HMD starts to make the crown of my head actually hurt.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Erm, take a break from VR for 30 days and then re-try, if problem persist, please speak to your doctor! 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

KnightMason
Protege
I haven't had any waking issues like that. But I definitely dream in VR.
I wake up thinking I cleared a bunch of dungeons and mined a bunch of ore in SkyrimVR and realized I did all that work for nothing.

The only good thing there is that I don't have the stupid grip button bug in my dreams. Where the analog grip button keeps acting like a turbo button when it's held halfway.

But I've been using VR since the 90's every weekend at the mall. If VR is really new to you then I would assume there would be some disconnect there. I don't remember that problem as a kid though.

dr304113
Honored Guest
Depersonalization Disorder. Look it up

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
 But we are in VR......
WAAAGH!