cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a oculus rift s, and I would like to know if rift games work with the rift s headset.

rachaeI
Level 2

Most of the games I see on steam and other sites to buy vr games say only rift compatibale, not rift s. I would like to know if the rift games would work with my rift s headset? Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The Rift and Rift-S are 99.99% compatible. There is only really 1 difference that may affect game compatibility: the controller capacitive sensors. (There are differences like resolution, frame rate, haptic style, etc, but they won't stop games working). The Rift-S controllers are missing a little circular area next to the buttons. This is a capacitive sensor that can sense your thumb and change your thumb pose on the avatar model. Other than affecting how you give a thumbs up gesture, I don't know any game that uses it for something important.

Basically all games that work on a Rift will work on a Rift-S and vice versa. They may have a different experience (Rift-S is worse in dark games, Rift CV1 is worse at resolution, Rift-S is worse at haptics, Rift CV1 is better tracking, Rift-S is better at large tracking area) but they run the same games. They both use the same SDK and runtime software.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2