cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have returned

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Well, I'd stopped posting back in November or so, but not because I am no longer a VR enthusiast. Instead my reasoning was that it didn't feel right to use these forums if I wasn't using an Oculus headset anymore. I'd decided that since I also had a Vive Cosmos Elite, that I'd gift my brother the Quest for Christmas. As such I'd removed all my software then factory reset the system. Also bought new hygienic interfaces to go along with it, and got him a $50 visa gift card so he could buy some software.

To be honest, I slightly regret doing that. Not giving him a VR headset for Christmas, but getting rid of my Quest. The Cosmos Elite was suppose to have superior tracking and resolution, but I personally think the Quest has sharper image quality, as good of tracking, and is more comfortable for extended sessions. Another thing I really missed was being able to play Elite Dangerous in VR. My desktop is not in the room scale VR area. Next to it, yes. But not in it. Which means the Cosmos's lighthouse tracking doesn't work well in Elite Dangerous... unlike with a Quest.

But I have returned! With a Quest 2 now on the way, I no longer feel the need to exile myself. My new quest 2 should arrive around the 12th. But in the mean time here I am, rockin like a hurricane (in Beat Saber).

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.
15 REPLIES 15

Hey, welcome back!

Using or not using an Oculus headset, and posting or not posting on the forum is not always a considered thing but former, present and future users are always welcome 🙂

Let us know what you think of the Q2 when it arrives.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I realize I didn't have to stop posting. It just didn't feel right to me to keep posting if I wasn't using an oculus headset. The order confirmation says my new Quest 2, travel case, and VR Covers should arrive on the 14th. Which is not that bad of a wait. Still too long though. I want to be able to play Elite Dangerous in VR again. 🙂

Now that you're back in we're going to lock the doors so you can't leave. or just stick Zenbane in the doorway.

I don't really know why I haven't gotten into Elite Dangerous yet, will give it another go. Odyssey looks interesting.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I think you'll be happy with the Quest 2--it's a fairly significant upgrade over the original Quest in a few ways. It's much lighter (closer in weight to the Rift CV1 than the Quest 1), performance is smoother, and the image quality is stunning. Although some people have had trouble with the Elite strap, I've had mine since release without issue, and I recommend it--between it and the VR Cover, they make the Quest 2 the most comfortable VR headset I've used.

Anyway, welcome back, and let us know your thoughts once you've had a chance to play around with your new Quest.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I was happy to see your return via the activity in the other discussions. Welcome back! And bravo for this,

"it didn't feel right to use these forums if I wasn't using an Oculus headset anymore"

This is the kind of upstanding citizenship goodness that is always sorely lacking in communities. Blessings to you, my friend! 

@Zenbane wrote:

I was happy to see your return via the activity in the other discussions. Welcome back! And bravo for this,

"it didn't feel right to use these forums if I wasn't using an Oculus headset anymore"

This is the kind of upstanding citizenship goodness that is always sorely lacking in communities. Blessings to you, my friend! 

See, that's something I never really understood. Don't people have better things to do then making themself miserable by hanging out in a forum for a product they either hate or don't have?

@Pixie40 wrote:

Don't people have better things to do then making themself miserable by hanging out in a forum for a product they either hate or don't have?

oooh, my friend, you've missed a lot while you were away. 😅

But hey, onwards and upwards!

@Zenbane wrote:

@Pixie40 wrote:

Don't people have better things to do then making themself miserable by hanging out in a forum for a product they either hate or don't have?

oooh, my friend, you've missed a lot while you were away. 😅

But hey, onwards and upwards!

Probably not. Back when I stopped posting due to gifting my Quest to my brother the forum was still in the process of a meltdown over Facebook accounts becoming mandatory and how that meant Facebook was now going to get all of everyone's precious personal data.

... Which ignores the fact that the privacy policy had already clearly said that your personal data was already being given to Facebook even if you didn't have a Facebook account. As such, linking a Facebook account or not didn't really do much if you were already using an Oculus device besides locking you out of social features. It also ignores the fact that every VR headset manufacturer and app store has privacy policies which are just as invasive, if not always as clearly spelled out.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

*checks junkmail folder*

Holy carp! I just ordered a Quest 2 yesterday. And it's suppose to be arriving today according to UPS. That is... a lot faster then I was expecting. The order confirmation said it would arrive on the 14th.