cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm blind in one eye

michael_irsling
Explorer

1. I’m blind in my right eye. <- I’m assuming this eliminates me from ever using VR.

BEFORE YOU ANSWER (with a "everything will work because sales") reply,
please try this experiment for two minutes: a beginner level of any app, and
try to hit or interact with anything while your right eye is closed. Then answer.

There are posts in other forums where this question is asked, but miraculously, the threads have been closed and locked
from discussion. Couldn't be because this tech needs to become ubiquitous, I know, but, hopefully the actual
experiment mentioned above could help.
It's an important question.

40 REPLIES 40

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star

There is absolutely no reason to buy a VR setup if you're blind in one eye.  Save your money.  It is physically impossible to have depth perception with one eye.  Now if you want a 360 flat screen then go for it.

This dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The human eye detects 3D and depth perception with more than just the use of two sources (eyes). When I close one of my eyes my vision doesn’t change THAT radically, and it certainly doesn’t change to 2D. Any issues you have with 1 eye in real life will obviously be present in VR, but I don’t see why it would create any new issues.

As for aiming, I generally close my left eye while shooting down the sights of my gun anyway (and miraculously, my world is still in 3D!). 

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
My brother is blind in one eye, (due to a welding flash incident 30 years ago), but he still enjoys the VR experiences.
He loved the Vader Immortal mini games, so having only 1 eye in no way diminishes the enjoyment you can gain from being in VR. 
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am blind in my left eye and use the quest 2 just fine. Been playing Pavlov vr. The only issue is it's kinda like looking through binoculars. I can tell I'm looking through a round lens. I may loose some immersion but it seems not to effect the experience that drastically. 

I'm here cause I have the same issue, but you are off with your logic. All of your comments come off as if you are an expert but I have depth perception with mostly singular vision in real life. So I think it is definitely possible to have depth perception in vr depending on how it operates. I'm not able to see 3D movies with those glasses but I believe that's a different concept. It's trying to turn a 2D movie into artificial 3D. But My Oculus should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh yea and I'm not actually blind in either eye but one is extremely blurry. To the point it would be considered legally blind I think. 

@Double_Shot wrote:

There is absolutely no reason to buy a VR setup if you're blind in one eye.  Save your money.  It is physically impossible to have depth perception with one eye.  Now if you want a 360 flat screen then go for it.

I am pretty sure he not expecting VR to miraculously give him depth perception. I cannot see why having one eye in VR would be any different to real life apart from the smaller FOV. 

You still get the benefit of being immersed in the game in VR.

What is a 360 flat screen and how will that help?

A 360 flat screen is what he'll basically be looking at if he tries VR with one eye.  The whole point of VR is gaming with depth perception.  I don't see anything immersive about playing it in 2D.  Seems like a waste of money but hey, whatever floats his boat.  (shrug)

Sorry, but no. The point of VR is not "depth perception". The point is immersive experiences that let you visit other worlds and do things you otherwise never could have done. Depth perception helps with that. But it's not required. If someone only has one working eye, they don't have the best depth perception in real life. Saying that this excludes them from enjoying VR is rather silly. After all, you're claiming they can't function at all with only one working eye.

Try this experiment. Close one eye, then cover it up so you can't cheat. Now go about your day. Are you able to cook? What about when you reach for a beverage, were you able to do that? Can you navigate your environment? Are you capable of telling where your hands are in relationship to the rest of your body? What about the things around you, can you determine their relationship to your location?

if the answers to these questions are "yes", then why do you think VR would be less immersive for someone with only one eye? Next, load up your VR headset while your eye is closed and covered. See for yourself if VR is unworkable under those conditions rather then blindly assuming.

Yes, those sight puns were intentional.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Playa_One
Explorer

I got it in yesterday or the day before...IDK I lost track of days. But I have the same issue, and it works fine for me. I recommend it if you didn't get it yet

@Playa_One wrote:

I got it in yesterday or the day before...IDK I lost track of days.

I know that feeling. I've found myself taking off the headset and wondering when it got dark, or when the sun came up more then a few times. Three or four of those times I didn't even take off the headset to make something to eat. Just double tap the side to switch to pass-through mode, make a sandwich, then get back to whatever I was doing.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

ImKevinChasse
Explorer

I am legally blind in my right eye, and have been stemming from birth. I have 2 under developed optic nerves. In my left eye, my vision is below average. In my right eye, completely blind no blur, no light, nothing. The cause: Bilateral Optic Nerve Hypoplasia. 

I have owned the Quest 2 just months after it retailed. And I don't regret a thing. You do not miss out on anything that I don't already miss out on. Unless you are legally blind in both eyes. You can get a lot of enjoyment from VR. Those same visual cues that you use in real life can be used in vr. Controllers even have haptic feedback. But honestly you likely won't need it. If I can catch a slow-mo arrow in blade and sorcery being of same condition as you described. Someone with a similar condition as I, can play VR. Shoot. I'm not too trash in fps titles either. 

No they wont. I'm blind in one eye. I can play expert level on beat saber, a game that relies heavily on response time and depth perception. I'm not terrible at fps titles. Or Melee titles. There Isn't a game I have found on the quest 2 that I cant play without some manner of amateur proficiency. Anything takes time to be good. At. If you can function irl you can function in vr. 

That is a false statement.