cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out!

CaptainProton73
Honored Guest
So I bought the DK1 and then the DK2, stopped using the DK2 due to the hassle of getting it to work with my setup. GTX970 16gb ram i7 cpu@4.6ghz

Thought that I would wait for the CV1 and then I saw the price today......then I saw the same thing as last time....getting stitched on shipping! I sell a lot of items abroad and also buy a lot of items and the shipping can not be an oversight!

The price is too high so I will not be buying the official release version and will wate for the Vive. Originally when I heard the Vive was going to be around this price i thought that Oculus would sort itself out by CV1 and I would buy that.

Nope, it is just too expensive now, way too expensive.

Good luck with it all though.
46 REPLIES 46

JerK9880
Honored Guest
Man, the Vive people in this forum are going to be in for a major reality check when the price is announced.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
"kalec84" wrote:
Also vive does not provide the VR experience i want, i don't have all that space for a "room VR" soo in my opinion is wasting money, i want a simulation vr, i like to pilotships, cars or crawl into daungeons, and sincerally, EVERY single standing vr experience (and is is just standing, even the rift can do thet) is just a tec demo until now, and the number of "complete games" that can be suited in 5x5meters of movement are REALLY not that many.
Soo, for me the "move in the room" function of vive is useless.

Yep, being able to move around a huge area has no interest or value to me beyond novelty.

I suppose I could argue that the Rift could cost me $1600 or so including a HUGE PC upgrade. Since there is, literally no room in my house that's 5X5 meters I'd need to build a new room at the average $1000/square meter. That means a Vive would cost me in the region of $25,600.

Rift is suuuch a better deal.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Flinty84" wrote:

Sorry guys, but I'm a little bit more skeptical than you are about official Statements from a company, which have the intention to sell a product. Howsoever,I was just asking about more then a statement somewhere.

Palmer has been brutally honest. Really no reason not to believe that it's actually selling at cost. But like I said, we have other electronics to compare it to, so not sure where anyone gets this idea that it's overpriced. Even if the Vive comes out at $900 I personally won't blame HTC for trying to make at least a small profit on it. Until there's a breakdown of a physical unit in the next couple months we won't know an exact cost of components though, so Palmer is our best source at the moment.

Flinty84
Honored Guest
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
"Flinty84" wrote:

Sorry guys, but I'm a little bit more skeptical than you are about official Statements from a company, which have the intention to sell a product. Howsoever,I was just asking about more then a statement somewhere.

Palmer has been brutally honest. Really no reason not to believe that it's actually selling at cost. But like I said, we have other electronics to compare it to, so not sure where anyone gets this idea that it's overpriced. Even if the Vive comes out at $900 I personally won't blame HTC for trying to make at least a small profit on it. Until there's a breakdown of a physical unit in the next couple months we won't know an exact cost of components though, so Palmer is our best source at the moment.

I would buy the Rift right away, unfortunately it cost alot more than 599 in Europe. So I will have to wait and buy it by retail in the future.

My post was more like a quick reminder not to take everything for a fact just because someone said so. Specially when there is corporate interest. Well... and I like sarcasm.

gutang
Protege
Glad I have a Dk2. I can weather this shitstorm and wait it out with Elite, GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout 4, FSX and awesome demos like Windlands and New Retro Arcade until the dust has settled...

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
KthnxBAAII.

Ill be playing my Rift when it arrives. See you when the price drops?

KBK
Protege
I did not buy the DK2 (bought 2x DV1), so I can get a leg up in the shitstorm..... by buying the CV1.

Just like all those other folks did, which is why the CV1 is sold out.

So there :P, sharpfish and others (of the wah/wank predilective).

The whole episode is very theatrical. "What is this CV1 I see before me..."
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

whalan84
Protege
"KBK" wrote:

Why does everybody keep saying the Rift is sold out? They have already told us they won't sell out... shipping dates increase that's all. And with out stock numbers selling out means nothing anyway.

Now, some people here keep stressing that Vive is going to be more expensive. The problem is Oculus shipping and tax charges. We are going to get hit twice as we will then need to purchase controllers in the future. A $300-$400 increase on Vive can potentially be cheaper than the Oculus in the long run for somebody like me in Australia. Or at least a similar price.

KBK
Protege
"whalan84" wrote:
"KBK" wrote:

Why does everybody keep saying the Rift is sold out? They have already told us they won't sell out... shipping dates increase that's all. And with out stock numbers selling out means nothing anyway.

Now, some people here keep stressing that Vive is going to be more expensive. The problem is Oculus shipping and tax charges. We are going to get hit twice as we will then need to purchase controllers in the future. A $300-$400 increase on Vive can potentially be cheaper than the Oculus in the long run for somebody like me in Australia. Or at least a similar price.

incapacity to meet all orders on the initial ship date, is considered to be sold out.

ie, sold out, until new manufacture can be completed.

This is the descriptive for sold out as connected to the world of manufacturing, not the world of concert tickets or NOS items.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

chtan
Protege
"JakemanOculus" wrote:
This has always confused me... people who basically say that the oculus is too expensive so they will instead buy the Vive at the same price.

So... you can't afford $600 so instead you will buy a nearly identical product for $600.

Put in another 2 touch + 1 camera/sensor. Tell me again what is the total cost now?

Oh, before I forget, there are 2 shipping cost as well.