cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I now own a (Used) Razer Hydra! :P

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer

ydb0lcileej0.jpg

My first ever bid in an Auction and I won... was so freaking excited!

My brother and I decided to go halves, hopefully the thing works... Seller description says its in good working order but if it doesn't work it can be returned for a full refund within 7 days (thank god the seller is here in Australia), paid through Paypal of course so there's some security there haha... But even then at that price its a steal!

Will keep this thread updated when it arrives and setting it up with my DK2, unfortunately I don't think there is any way of getting the Oculus Runtime to recognize the Hydra's without going through SteamVR with ReVive (I don't like too many layers haha) however I will hopefully get to play some games that I own on both the Oculus Store and Steam (Windlands for example is gonna be awesome) plus I can now try and build up my SteamVR Library a bit more... I already have The Lab and Google Earth VR which are both incredible even with the crappy Leap Motion hand tracking setup I have at the moment.

...And yes I know the DK2 will eventually be phased out of the Oculus Runtime (most likely this year) however I might be upgrading the headset to CV1 or Vive near the end of this year (unless I hear of CV2 or Vive2 soon) and there's always OpenVR that should keep the DK2 alive for just a little bit longer.

P.S. Yeah I know black line paranoia, can't be too careful though :tongue:
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM
18 REPLIES 18

Percy1983
Superstar
Was just going to say they went up in value once people got them working in VR, could ahve picked them up for next to nothing a few years ago.

As with others as the dk2 is in theory no longer supported, to spend more money on making a dk2 setup doesn't seem the best of ideas, but if you are happy then carry on.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
Yeah I am pretty happy with the setup, the only reason I got the hydras is there is no possible way at the moment that I can afford a $1100 CV1 or $1300 Vive, of course I will upgrade in the future but for now this is the best experience I can afford and its pretty cool :tongue:
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

HiThere_
Superstar
In fact their price quickly dropped around ~100$, and I even got mine for ~50$ (that's brand new and from a shop, not second hand).

In theory the big problem with using cables in VR is that you can't turn 360° with them.

But truth is :
- For front facing VR, you don't even notice you have cables.
- For 360° VR, you naturally learn to rotate in a way that you don't pull the cables (when you need to rotate more then ~200° in one direction, you just do a full rotation in the other direction instead), and this has the added effect of not tangling the headset HDMI cable either.

My issues with wired hand controllers were only with room scale VR (including setting up the VR room scale borders) : That's when I was struggling with the cable length.

And although I'm happy I went wireless, my main issue with sticking with Razer Hydra controllers was more about losing out on Oculus Store titles without buying Touch controllers for it.

But the way I see it, with a DK2 and a pair of Razer Hydra you can hold out till CV2 really 🙂

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer

Cyril said:

But the way I see it, with a DK2 and a pair of Razer Hydra you can hold out till CV2 really 🙂

Well if I still cant afford VR when they finally announce CV2, then that will be the plan 🙂 or get CV1 second hand

HiThere_
Superstar
If I were to name a critical flaw in the CV1 hardware, it would be how easy it is to scratch it's lenses.

It doesn't help that the CV1 doesn't feature a GearVR like focus dial, and that it's faceplate seems tailor designed to rip off adult glasses to send them banging right into those easily scratched lenses (as seen in the video where Palmer Lucky delivers the first official CV1 to it's owner, and that's exactly what happens to him on his first try).

So good luck buying a second hand CV1.

StormyDoesVR
Heroic Explorer
I just got a pair of used ones in today, actually! I've owned the CV1 + Touch for years, but have always wanted to try out the Hydra's, and when I found them for 80$ on Ebay, I just had to pick them up! looking forward to trying out the Portal 2 pack and seeing if I can hack them into SteamVR. xD
------------------------------
PC specs - GTX 1070 (MSI AERO); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3; intel i5-4590, MSI motherboard (don't remember but it was a combo deal) and an EVGA Supernova 750W semi-modular.

Luciferous
Consultant
I am not sure why you wanted to try the hydras but my guess is by now they are back on Ebay 🙂

ohgrant
Superstar

I just got a pair of used ones in today, actually! I've owned the CV1 + Touch for years, but have always wanted to try out the Hydra's, and when I found them for 80$ on Ebay, I just had to pick them up! looking forward to trying out the Portal 2 pack and seeing if I can hack them into SteamVR. xD

Not sure if it still works but there is an official driver to use it in Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/491380/SteamVR_Driver_for_Razer_Hydra/
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

inovator
Consultant
Years ago I would have liked to try the hydras but I thought than that they were extremely overpriced turkeys. I wouldn't want to try them now even if they were free with  the touch controller and other great options of today