cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I ordered a Rift S, bit confused about the shipping process.

Jeerus
Protege
I tried to order one, paid with Paypal Balance, everything went okay, got an order number. After that nothing happened, no email, payment didn't went off my Paypal. 

I tried again, this time logged in with Facebook. Now I got an email but it's saying we will charge you when it's available. Nowhere on the website said it was out of stock so my question is what the hell is going on?
|| Specs || Ryzen 5 1600 OC 4.1 GHz | NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler | NVIDIA Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 X3 | 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte B450 AORUS | 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 4 TB WD Green HDD | ACER NITRO XV272UP || Peripherals ||  Razer Blackwidow Elite | Stormtrooper Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed | Stormtrooper Edition | Logitech G Pro Wireless | HyperX Cloud II | Tonor BM-700 Microphone | Yamaha NX B150 2.1 Speakers | 
10 REPLIES 10

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus don't charge until they are ready to ship it.
I don't know which region you are in (they have different delivery times) but currently US orders for the Rift-S say about Feb 4 (it's on the web store before you complete the purchase).

Just be careful, if you ordered and got an order number then logged in with facebook and ordered again, you've most likely got 2 Rift-S's on the way, both going to be charged when they ship. You might want to contact support.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Jeerus
Protege
I found my old order number because I copied it yesterday otherwise I wouldn't have found it. Cancelled it. Now I have only the order I did with my Facebook account. What is weird is the fact that I got no email whatsoever the first time I ordered. 

I live in The Netherlands, on the website it said "Estimated delivery on Tue 2 feb" which doesn't say if it's out of stock or not but I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Also I read on the forums Oculus is discontinuing support for the Rift S? What is that all about?
|| Specs || Ryzen 5 1600 OC 4.1 GHz | NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler | NVIDIA Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 X3 | 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte B450 AORUS | 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 4 TB WD Green HDD | ACER NITRO XV272UP || Peripherals ||  Razer Blackwidow Elite | Stormtrooper Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed | Stormtrooper Edition | Logitech G Pro Wireless | HyperX Cloud II | Tonor BM-700 Microphone | Yamaha NX B150 2.1 Speakers | 

kojack
MVP
MVP
Ah, lucky you wrote it down.
We had another person on here who ordered, had their bank reject the payment, so thought the order was over and drove to a store to buy one in person. Later the bank let the purchase through and a second headset was sent because they never cancelled the first order.
(Oculus do accept returns within a certain timeframe, so should be ok even if you end up with a double order)

The buy button changes to say its out of stock, so if it lets you buy, it should be in stock. But there can be delays lately (shipping, etc). There's around 5 delivery centres around the world, so it may take a bit depending on how close the european one is to the netherlands. For example one centre is in hong kong, which is used for australian, new zealand and japanese orders.

The Rift-S is being discontinued in spring this year and Oculus are going to only make hybrid headsets (PC and mobile, like the Quest) from then on. This is just manufacturing/sale though, they will still be supported in the software. The Rift CV1 was discontinued a while ago (since the Rift-S replaced it) and still works fine.

PC VR gaming is still going strong, Oculus have been pushing Link for the Quest which basically turns the Quest into a Rift, so the PC software is still needed and will be updated.

The only real danger is when spare parts run out. But that applies to any hardware product that isn't made anymore.

I'm not worried about the CV1 or Rift-S losing software support any time soon, they still have the biggest software library on the oculus store.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Jeerus
Protege
Alright thanks that information does comfort me. Will wait then. Also weird question but are there like community look ups here on the forums so you can find people to play games with and is there also a recommended VR games list or maybe you can recommend a game?

I'm pretty new to this so just asking.

kojack
MVP
MVP

For games, we all have very different tastes. But for me, my all time favourite would have to be Audica. I prefer it to Beat Saber, plus it's cross buy so you get Rift and Quest for one purchase.

For PC VR, Half Life Alyx is probably one of the most polished full experiences. You'll need to buy it from Steam though.

Jeerus
Protege
Audica looks like Beat Saber but with guns, looks pretty fun haha. I heard good stories about Half Life yeah, really loved the first two games so it's definitely on my to buy list. By the way, it's saying estimated Tue 2 feb (which is tomorrow), is that when they charge me or when they ship it, nothing is charged yet.

My current list
  • Half Life Alyx
  • Audica
  • Skyrim VR
  • SuperHot
  • Elite Dangerous
  • No Man's Sky (owned)
  • Pavlov VR
  • Lone Echo
  • Boneworks
  • Minecraft VR (Vivecraft?)
  • Project Cars

Jeerus
Protege
e077idfg87fu.png
It's a bit confusing, for me then.

kojack
MVP
MVP
If they haven't charged yet, it will probably be shipping then rather than delivered. World wide shipping is rather messed up at the moment.

Superhot is great. Elite Dangerous is one I can spend hours in. Lone Echo is great too. Boneworks can be brutal on newcomers (it's not friendly to VR sickness), but after playing it every other game's interactions seem lacking. I would recommend not playing Boneworks until after you've got some VR experience. If you can handle zero G in Lone Echo and moving around in Alyx, then give Boneworks a try. I love it, but I never get sick in VR. 🙂
Euro Truck Sim 2 is awesome if you like driving games.
If you like zombies, Arizona Sunshine and The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners are great. The former is purely gun based, the latter is more hand to hand.

Jeerus
Protege
Alright, for some reason I'm really hyped and feel like an unpatient child getting his present  😄 Walking Dead and Arizona look very nice, that's also one for the list. Oh ETS2 is also in VR? That's sick, I'm definitely gonna try that.