cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would recommend a Vive for Roomscale, Tired of USB issues, Tired of HMD disconnects...

Maxxgold
Rising Star
  Ok, I said it. You know a lot of you are already thinking it. Especially if you paid for the 3rd sensor.

The USB nightmares are just ridiculous. I purchased the Inateck card and bought all the recommended cables, and guess what? I have daily issues with sensors cutting out, sound cutting out, and the HMD cutting out.

I can change ports, and enable and disable playback sound, and get everything working, and I can get in long play sessions without any issues, but I'm thinking there just shouldn't be this many issues. Especially when I can go visit my friend and play games on the VIVE with ZERO issues. 

I'm not selling my Rift, I love it, but if I were to recommend room-scale to someone, there is no way I could tell someone to buy a Rift. I'm tech savvy, so I can deal with it. I feel terrible for those people who aren't tech savvy, and they spent close to one thousand dollars, to get shit on.

I finally decided this when my friend told me he spent 110 dollars on this USB card that has separate processors for each USB-port. I was thinking " hey I'll pick up this 110 dollar USB card to solve my USB problems." Then I came to my senses and was like, " why the hell should I spend another 110 dollars!!!"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPUHO10/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=296R0JAB3VFJH&col...

TLDR: if you want room-scale, save yourself time and money and buy a Vive. If you want room-scale and you buy a Rift, even with approved products, you will be constantly having issues.
45 REPLIES 45

flexy123
Superstar

Maxxgold said:

Having something shiny on the wall proves nothing.

Like I said it's a bloody simple question have you tried it on your p.c.

It proves I have a bad ass pc, so I wouldn't say it proves nothing : )

Actually it doesn't. I bet you have a Pentium II there with 128MB of Ram. LEDs don't make it better, unfortunately.
(Runs away...ok I was trolling). But you get the idea...

harryinthesoup
Protege
Zero USB issues here

Lemming1970
Rising Star

flexy123 said:

Go people and buy the crappy "Inateck" card. Buy more. You know you want.

I'm using a combination of onboard USB3 and the Inateck 5 port usb3 card.

Already had the card as I upgraded my P.C. after realizing my old P.C. wasn't cutting the mustard performance wise. I figure it's spreading the USB3 bandwidth if nothing else 😉
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

coderzero
Explorer
I've been having issues with my 3 sensor setup as well, jumpy tracking (in particular height changes), etc.. 
Can some of the people that are reporting 0 tracking issues please post pictures or diagrams of their layouts (or measurments, etc..) Also, specs of your pc, in particular how many different usb controllers and which ones your sensors are plugged into would help. Obviously there are more than a few people experiencing issues so those that aren't can help us by providing info. Thanks!

Lemming1970
Rising Star

coderzero said:

I've been having issues with my 3 sensor setup as well, jumpy tracking (in particular height changes), etc.. 
Can some of the people that are reporting 0 tracking issues please post pictures or diagrams of their layouts (or measurments, etc..) Also, specs of your pc, in particular how many different usb controllers and which ones your sensors are plugged into would help. Obviously there are more than a few people experiencing issues so those that aren't can help us by providing info. Thanks!

Can I direct you to this tread...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47289/so-whats-the-best-way-to-setup-the-sensors-for-...

Now updated with P.C. specs.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

kojack
MVP
MVP

Maxxgold said:

Obviously this thread went to hell. Lock it whenever you like.

Locking it because you went completely off the handle for a legitimate question.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2