cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPD question

nvstewart
Explorer
I am a little confused. I use the IPD calibration that comes with the Rift, and it calculated a IPD of 70.2 and I think it is wrong.

In the TF2 calibration, it tells you to look straight ahead until you can just barely see the line, but in the SDK it tells you to look at the line until you can barely see it. Why are the instructions different for both methods which look almost identical? And which one is the most accurate?
8 REPLIES 8

DannySwish
Honored Guest
Actually, you're supposed to look directly at the line in TF2's calibration process as well.

"Team Fortress Wiki" wrote:

"While moving the line, look directly at the line. If you look straight ahead, you will notice you can actually see more of the line because of the movement of your pupil. But while adjusting the line, look directly at it, do not look straight ahead."

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide#Calibrating_your_Inter-Pupillary_Distance
Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980

brantlew
Adventurer
You should be looking all the way to the left/right edge of the lens - right where the line disappears. If you look forward you can actually see the line move further out than if you are looking to the left/right. You don't want to be looking forward at all or it will throw off the calibration. The calibration process should feel slightly uncomfortable if you are doing it correctly.

nvstewart
Explorer
Ok thanks.

Doesn't 70.2mm seem a little high? Or am I just a little higher than average? All the IPD's I hear about are in the low to mid 60's.

brantlew
Adventurer
It's at the upper end but still in human range. If you doubt it, you could always try the old ruler and mirror test.

nvstewart
Explorer
"brantlew" wrote:
It's at the upper end but still in human range. If you doubt it, you could always try the old ruler and mirror test.

Just did the ruler and mirror test, and closing first my right eye, and then my left eye to make sure I am doing it properly. I also did this with 2 different rulers to remove the possibility of inaccuracy.

It measured 73mm.

Looks like my genes come from this animal:

After checking Wikipedia this is what it said:
The typical pupillary distance for adults is around 54–68 mm, while measurements generally fall between 48 and 73 mm.

drash
Heroic Explorer
I have a follow-up question.

If one's IPD is in question, or one has gotten multiple slightly varying results by repeating the same test, is it better to err on the smaller IPD or the larger one? For example, if I actually have a 66.2mm IPD (but I don't know it), and I have two test results like 65.8mm and 66.8mm, which one should I choose in order to avoid divergence, or does it even matter?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

brantlew
Adventurer
IPD adjustments shouldn't cause any divergence. It doesn't alter the projection center, only the camera positions. I would just take the average of your measurements.

miroku000
Honored Guest
"nvstewart" wrote:
I am a little confused. I use the IPD calibration that comes with the Rift

I just got my Rift. Where is the IPF calibration? How do I do this? I just sawhttp://www.oculus.com/blog/vr-sickness-the-rift-and-how-game-developers-can-help/?utm_source=Oculus+...
'> http://www.oculus.com/blog/vr-sickness-the-rift-and-how-game-developers-can-help/?utm_source=Oculus+...
and this was the first time I heard anything about this.