cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying Threats To VR is a Threat To VR

Wireline
Explorer
OK, kind of half not-joking but am slightly, some time back there an influential person mentioned "threats to VR", as in, what will happen this time to stop it from being a thing? A good idea indeed, to prevent such things from happening.

But that seemed to grow many heads and arms and sort of has become a weird obsession in some parts, with this semi-paranoid finger pointing aimed at weeding out any potential malicious VR-ruining going on, like people farting onto the face foam at the DK2 factory or making subliminal images of Steven Hawkings butt flash up every 37th cycle so that people feel nauseous.

I mean, by all means look out for icebergs, but I think if you are gonna run around the decks angrily shouting at anyone with ice cubes in their sangria and searching people's cabins for unlicensed popsicles, it sort of stops the boat from being a fun place to be anymore. People get off at the next dock and catch a plane.

Anyways, this isn't really aimed at anyone in particular BTW. Just some mildly irritated brain ejecta.
5 REPLIES 5

Disdroid
Honored Guest
"Wireline" wrote:
I mean, by all means look out for icebergs, but I think if you are gonna run around the decks angrily shouting at anyone with ice cubes in their sangria and searching people's cabins for unlicensed popsicles, it sort of stops the boat from being a fun place to be anymore. People get off at the next dock and catch a plane.

Nice analogy. Let me add a line to it though. Just because people seem to leave doesn't mean the ship will sink. At least not as long as captain and crew hold their position. Who cares about the tourists in these early stages of the journey. You shouldn't be that afraid of self fulfilling prophecies to want to throw every prophet over board.
People tend to believe what they want to be true.

Wireline
Explorer
"Disdroid" wrote:
"Wireline" wrote:
At least not as long as captain and crew hold their position. Who cares about the tourists in these early stages of the journey. You shouldn't be that afraid of self fulfilling prophecies to want to throw every prophet over board.

To torture the analogy a little bit more, I am not wanting to chuck anyone overboard, am just suggesting maybe taking them to the bar and having a few drinks, meet the dancing girls and sample the fillet steak. Maybe a man hug, "you're my besshshhht mate" drunken moment or two.

And now, I'm hungry.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I'm not worried. A lot of vessels carrying VR have sunk to the muddy depths of obscurity, but whod've thunk that VR makes an excellent floatation device. It disappears beneath the icy waves and pops back up better than ever. Those who've tenaciously clung on get another breath of that sweet, fresh air.

Let the ship sink, and let it take all the prophet pessimists along for a ride straight down. Buying them a drink will only validate their existence and prolong their confused, self-centric purpose.

I'm not going to say that VR is here to stay, but in the past has there ever been this much technological support, this much daily community support and feedback, this much pre-release content, or this much media coverage, all before a single commercial release? I'll say this, if VR goes under yet again, its not going to be for very long.

I'll hold my breath, and this time I mean that in a completely non-sarcastic way. 🙂
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

I think you're absolutely bang-on wireline - i know young gamers who i've mentioned the Rift to and they've told me "people get nausea" and "it's always failed in the past" - they themselves have never tried it and they weren't around in the 90's - they've just heard it in the media.

I myself have also read many articles where they just re-hash the "biggest problem with VR" (the nausea problem) - i wouldn't say it's a big problem any more to be honest. So where are they getting this from?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

acarrilho
Explorer
"andyring" wrote:
So where are they getting this from?

Contrarianism, plain and simple. Aka "being a cynical asshole", or someone that enjoys putting down what is new and exciting to others. Can't relate to the mindset, myself... in any case, it exists in inverse proportion to how mainstream it becomes.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64