cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the end, can the current DK2 be used as a gaming device ?

kakek
Protege
Hello all.

I am not a devellopers. But I am an enthousiaste gamer. And I am considering buying a DK2 for gaming purpose.
Now, before latching out that the DK2 is still for devs and I shouldn’t buy one, read a bit further.

I have spent enough time reading this forum to know what I am not getting. I KNOW that the DK2 is not a finished product, and I’m aware of the many shortcoming that makes it unfit for mass market.
But even though I’m not an active develloper, I am not « mass market » either. I am so interrested in a device that could provide more immersive gaming that I might be willing to ignore the imperfections to get it before a few years.
Keeping that in mind, what I’m asking you, happy DK2 owners, is an honnest, objective evaluation on how usable the current DK2 is.

Beyond constructive critisism that is already on the forum, when all is said about limited FOV, still limited resolution, very limited support of commercial games, nausea still an issue, lenses or screen getting dirty, difficulty to set up the device … once you’ve pointed out all that need to be improved further, are you still left with a good gaming experience ?
Has anyone tried using the DK2 for actual gaming sessions of at least 2/3 hours ? Is it really just an interresting experiment, or is it already an immersive gaming solution ?

Please try to think as if you were talking with a friend, keep in mind I know I am not getting a market-ready product, and considering that, try answer the question : Despite it’s flaws, is it still possible to get real gaming experience out of the DK2 ?

I was able to decide by myself that for the DK1, the answer was « no, not really ». But for the DK2, I am still hesitant.
Hence this post.

Also, please don’t go for the « stealing a dev’s rift. » argument.
I have not ordered mine. Even if I do, i won’t get it until late september batch. By then there will be more than enough rifts for everybody …
54 REPLIES 54

bigmike20vt
Visionary
dude..... most of us are not devs! (I have so many ideas, I wish I was one, but am way too long in the tooth to learn now)

the answer is YES!. Some games show the limits of DK2, but, aside from route planning***, I will never play elite D on a flat screen again when I am at home. When I 1st fired up elite, I had this plan of playing for 20 mins, followed by a break and slowly building up VR legs..... 2.5hrs later my wife came into the room moaning that I was an antisocial git and to turn it off!! I have no idea where the time went, it was literally the best gaming experience I have ever had (and no sickness). Other games are not so good, and I do feel a bit woozy after playing helix and warthunder.

But when done well its a total game changer.... Sure CV1 will be better but I didnt want to wait another year.

*** in the future I would like to be able to press a button to swap in and out of rift mode for that very reason, not sure if that would be a game mechanic, or a driver thing, or a bit of both.

People who grumble because you are taking a head set from a dev, I have 2 things to say

1) if you order now you have already given devs their chance to get their foot in the door 1st
2) if owning a DK2 day 1 was was so important for a devs project, they should have been less tardy in getting their order in.

trying to be objective.....

for me FOV is not an issue..... but that is because of the games I play. These are flight sims and racing games, games where I would probably have a helmet or goggles on anyway, so a reduced FOV kind of fits in with the game. Maybe if I just wanted to play halflife it would be more of an issue.

The resolution/SDE is NOT ideal.... but for me it is not bad enough to stop me!. Elite is an example where it is almost a non-issue.. however Euro truck sumulator, which is much more focussed on small details rather than the vehicles the size of houses, I do think the resolution hampers the game somewhat, and will be much better in CV1.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

mesofire
Honored Guest
Still waiting for my dk2 but I am treating it as my consumer version even with its imperfections. I am not expecting it to be consumer ready but it is enough for me to enjoy the current state of VR. I have seen people on twitch play elite dangerous for 1-2+ hours. As long as you have a beefy computer that can run at low persistence then longer periods should be easier to achieve.

blanes
Rising Star
@bigmike ... hey totally in tune with your thinking old man ( old man here too 😉 ) and also I only want the DK2 to play rFactor2, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Sim 2 and Elite Dangerous ( in no particular order).

So what is your pc setup bigmike ? you mention ETS2 was lacking in resoulution ! I currently play on a 27inch Asus 3Dvision Monitor at 1080p and 120hz with a i7-2600K and Gigabyte 780OC vidcard. With that setup I get easily frames above 75 per second ...

So knowing what you know already having the DK2 and since you stated you play racing games etc. will I be able to achieve the magic 75fps in those games mentioned ?

Thanks for your wisdom old fella ! :mrgreen:

There are around 500 games/demos on the riftenabled website - around half are, in my opinion, very good.

With the help of vorpx and other software, in the coming months you'll be able to play a lot of AAA PC games - i never played any with the DK1 but apparently the results were very good.

Having had my DK2 from day 1, i'd say the resolution is good enough to enjoy playing games and i'm really looking forward to trying those 500 again, plus the new experiences coming out every week.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Dragonbait
Explorer
I would say a chunk of it comes down to money.
You have to bear in mind that when CV1 launches, there is no guarantee that games will continue to work on your DK2 (Much the same as DK1's will now become obsolete due to incompatibility).
So the question is "are you happy to pay $400 to play in VR until CV1 is released and then to pay $400 again to continue playing after that point?".

Gygax
Explorer
"blanes" wrote:
@bigmike ... hey totally in tune with your thinking old man ( old man here too 😉 )

so is 42 years old.. old?
:lol:
I preordered a DK2 in April, from Australia.. ..and Im still completely sane!! ;P

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"blanes" wrote:
@bigmike ... hey totally in tune with your thinking old man ( old man here too 😉 ) and also I only want the DK2 to play rFactor2, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Sim 2 and Elite Dangerous ( in no particular order).

So what is your pc setup bigmike ? you mention ETS2 was lacking in resoulution ! I currently play on a 27inch Asus 3Dvision Monitor at 1080p and 120hz with a i7-2600K and Gigabyte 780OC vidcard. With that setup I get easily frames above 75 per second ...

So knowing what you know already having the DK2 and since you stated you play racing games etc. will I be able to achieve the magic 75fps in those games mentioned ?

Thanks for your wisdom old fella ! :mrgreen:

Well you have a way better rig than me, so you have half a chance. I have a GTX 670 at the moment (overclocked the balls off it mind you!).... just bear in mind just becasue you can do 75fps on a flat screen does not mean you will do it in the rift. VR has a huge impact on performance, you GPU has to do much more work.

to be honest gut feeling, you will be fine, but even if not, you will only have to lower a few details am sure, unlike me who has to play it on low detail accross the board. (I have asked santa for a GTX 880 😉 )

"Gygax" wrote:
"blanes" wrote:
@bigmike ... hey totally in tune with your thinking old man ( old man here too 😉 )

so is 42 years old.. old?
:lol:

LOL in terms of learning to program from scratch in order to make games.... I would say yes! (I am only 38 BTW but the notion of learning to program from scratch on top of all my other responsibilities fills me with dread)

(I am going on a python course next week but am thinking that is not the ideal gaming language 😉 )
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

danknugz
Superstar
"kakek" wrote:
Hello all.

I am not a devellopers. But I am an enthousiaste gamer. And I am considering buying a DK2 for gaming purpose.
Now, before latching out that the DK2 is still for devs and I shouldn’t buy one, read a bit further.

I have spent enough time reading this forum to know what I am not getting. I KNOW that the DK2 is not a finished product, and I’m aware of the many shortcoming that makes it unfit for mass market.
But even though I’m not an active develloper, I am not « mass market » either. I am so interrested in a device that could provide more immersive gaming that I might be willing to ignore the imperfections to get it before a few years.
Keeping that in mind, what I’m asking you, happy DK2 owners, is an honnest, objective evaluation on how usable the current DK2 is.

Beyond constructive critisism that is already on the forum, when all is said about limited FOV, still limited resolution, very limited support of commercial games, nausea still an issue, lenses or screen getting dirty, difficulty to set up the device … once you’ve pointed out all that need to be improved further, are you still left with a good gaming experience ?
Has anyone tried using the DK2 for actual gaming sessions of at least 2/3 hours ? Is it really just an interresting experiment, or is it already an immersive gaming solution ?

Please try to think as if you were talking with a friend, keep in mind I know I am not getting a market-ready product, and considering that, try answer the question : Despite it’s flaws, is it still possible to get real gaming experience out of the DK2 ?

I was able to decide by myself that for the DK1, the answer was « no, not really ». But for the DK2, I am still hesitant.
Hence this post.

Also, please don’t go for the « stealing a dev’s rift. » argument.
I have not ordered mine. Even if I do, i won’t get it until late september batch. By then there will be more than enough rifts for everybody …

Not really.

Sorry
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
however Euro truck sumulator, which is much more focussed on small details rather than the vehicles the size of houses, I do think the resolution hampers the game somewhat, and will be much better in CV1.

You're saying this for the DK2. I play Euro Truck Simulator 2 on the DK1 and all I long for is being able to read the speed limits and see something in the mirrors on the far side. And I suspect the DK2 to give me this. Other than that I don't care :geek: