cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to post something other than complaints or requests for help

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I understand that lots of people are new to VR and naturally will look to those who have experience to help with their problems, but this forum is starting to feel like the support site for people who aren't satisfied or can't be bothered with the support of Facebook (or can't use Google).

I have answered more than my fair share of questions for struggling people, but I come here all the time hoping that there will be something interesting to discuss. It might be rumors, or people talking about a game that they really like to get others to try it out, I don't know.

I'm just tired of scrolling down the first page and realizing that the only interaction I can have with other VR enthusiasts is to help them solve a problem.

Now before you say, "well start a thread then" I plan to make some posts in hopes of getting this going a bit.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

52 REPLIES 52

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Fully agree, all the support threads are diluting threads with real substance, which is a great problem since this isn't an official Oculus support forum. Unfortunately most new users seem unaware of that - and limited or slow support offered by Oculus in some cases may lead frustrated or desperate users here.

I've stopped answering many support requests, but usually being a polite person it's hard not to answer a few. 

With Quest 2 selling to many kids due to the cheap price, I wonder how bad the support requests will become, lol. Some older users on Reddit say that many social apps are turning into kindergartens, but that may be another problem 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

ghs22
Protege
This is kind of an odd place to look for a discussion on cool games. The only reason anyone would come here is to figure out  (like in my case) why their USB PORT WILL NEVER CONNECT AFTER RE-BOOTING THEIR COMPUTER EVERY DANG MORNING. No worries though. If I start at 7am, I usually have it recognizing the headset by noon.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

ghs22 said:

This is kind of an odd place to look for a discussion on cool games. The only reason anyone would come here is to figure out  (like in my case) why their USB PORT WILL NEVER CONNECT AFTER RE-BOOTING THEIR COMPUTER EVERY DANG MORNING. No worries though. If I start at 7am, I usually have it recognizing the headset by noon.

Question then, why would someone like me that has multiple headsets, lots of experience and no current issues come here to help you?

I don't work for Oculus.

I guess i shouldn't be surprised that most people today are only concerned with themselves.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

PITTCANNA
Visionary

I understand that lots of people are new to VR and naturally will look to those who have experience to help with their problems, but this forum is starting to feel like the support site for people who aren't satisfied or can't be bothered with the support of Facebook (or can't use Google).

I have answered more than my fair share of questions for struggling people, but I come here all the time hoping that there will be something interesting to discuss. It might be rumors, or people talking about a game that they really like to get others to try it out, I don't know.

I'm just tired of scrolling down the first page and realizing that the only interaction I can have with other VR enthusiasts is to help them solve a problem.

Now before you say, "well start a thread then" I plan to make some posts in hopes of getting this going a bit.

I have just about 1.2 k posts here, with 80 to 90 percent being tech support.  I am not paid  by oculus, that said sometimes its good to help the struggling.

But i think a lot of people abuse the free help in the forums, they get there answer and then F&^% off to be selfish.  One post wonders, that only care about getting the help they need.

I also think it is atrocious how easy they are rail on support, when it is clearly an IO (idiot operator) problem.  What annoys the most is  people have the Gaul to rail on me an unpaid user, i don't even have a youtube channel that makes money, or people call me a fan boy.

That all said, i think the forums should have a subset with support vs. general discussion.

And ban any user that violates the distinction.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

PITTCANNA said:
That all said, i think the forums should have a subset with support vs. general discussion.

And ban any user that violates the distinction.

I would go a step further and just remove General Discussion altogether. Since the inception of internet bulletin boards, the "General Discussion" forums are a haven for flame wars, trolling, feuds, etc. It's the nature of being too broad an approach to conversation.

I can go to a HP Reverb "General Discussion" Forum and be like, "Oculus > HP." And guess what? It doesn't count as trolling because it is addressing HP VR in a "general" way.

Every truly "constructive" approach to conversation falls in to some category. Constructive dialogue doesn't need a "catch all" bucket (e.g. General Discussion).

I'm actually hoping that the new Oculus Forum removes the General Discussion category entirely.

Luciferous
Consultant
If General is renamed to General (No Support Posts)
Discussion for Oculus and all things VR. Not for Support use Support Category.

May help 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

If General is renamed to General (No Support Posts)
Discussion for Oculus and all things VR. Not for Support use Support Category.

May help 🙂

Hmm, well my point was that General is too vague and just leads to the "my product is better than yours" stuff. Not sure preventing support posts in the General forum would help that.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If Support bother to answer customer's emails, maybe we wouldn't have to come here. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Lucas5858 said:

If Support bother to answer customer's emails, maybe we wouldn't have to come here. 

The ratio isn't 1-to-1, where there is one single customer service rep for every single customer. One rep will have to deal with many, possibly hundreds, of users. It's hard to answer everyone's emails in a short time frame. Not to mention that some people simply ask terrible questions lol

Support is very active on reddit and Twitter. I think patience is the key, though.