cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irrational negativity

Zoomie
Level 11
Has anyone else faced what I'm calling "irrational negativity" when trying to explain the Oculus to someone?

It usually takes one of several forms:
- I hear it makes everyone sick
- Facebook / Microsoft have great marketing but the product will suck because reasons
- I hear Vive / Morpheus / GearVR* is better technology and it's way cheaper. (*seriously, not making GearVR up)
- It's going to be just like 3D television

I'm just wondering where all this negative press has come from.
It seems that nearly everyone I talk to about the Rift spouts one of these lines as if it's been programmed into them. I've shown the DK2 to about 20 people and they're universally surprised at how fantastic the experience is. I set them up with Titans of Space, or any number of 0.8 demos and games and an hour later they're looking at me with Oculus-face and a smile. Two people (out of 20) to whom I've shown the DK2 have experienced nausea; It's usually because they're doing head-movements that would make them sick in real life!

Today a good friend of mine told me that the Vive will have better resolution, higher FOV, and somehow cost less than the Rift when it comes out. I told him that his knowledge was impressive since Vive appears to have copied the Rift's resolution and refresh rate, and that prices haven't been announced for either system yet.

I've also read "Rift vs Vive" reviews where people say the Vive is superior because it can support room-level play. Let's ignore the fact most people don't have a 15'x15' room sitting empty, or that you'd need another person around to manage cables so you don't trip and kill yourself. Nope, obviously this means Rift fail.
(Note - Rift can do room level. Palmer tried it and said it works fine)

So far the only edge I see in Vive's favour is SteamVR. We'll see if Steam are @sshats and intentionally handicap Oculus users, or if they play nice and allow the Rift to function properly with Steam. Hopefully they remember that beta-testing of SteamVR was done by DK2 users. :mrgreen: At the moment it seems to be the former... at least judging by the interface. "I see you have a headset - ohhh, no wands connected? That's so odd!" :twisted:

So is there a campaign of disinformation, a lack of information-checking by the media, or are people just anti-big company and looking for any excuse to slam the evil Microsoft and Facebook?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
14 REPLIES 14

Lemming1970
Level 8
Can't say I've had any negativity about the Oculus when I've been describing it to people.
Maybe you have a poor ability to explain what it is?

Maybe it's just not a big deal to the people you are talking to. Not everyone is a geek like us :-). My wife for example has Zero interest in anything to do with technology. Hasn't stopped me having a GTX980Ti, or 55" OLED t.v. or games consoles coming out of my ears.

Keep your fingers crossed you haven't convinced to many people until you have your pre-order accepted. Let them be wave two. :twisted:
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Zandil
Level 8
As Palmer has stated many times it comes down to, you can't explain Good VR in current mediums, it has to be tried to really experience it and get the full effect.

Wireline
Level 3
"Zandil" wrote:
As Palmer has stated many times it comes down to, you can't explain Good VR in current mediums, it has to be tried to really experience it and get the full effect.

Absolutely this. My experience was that it became cool to hate on VR and a lot of outlets did, and are doing so. The one that got me was RPS, saying it will never really work for games or be mainstream. Enough influential writers have said it that its caught on.

I still think that once people start to try it and see what its about, there will be a lot of opinions changing.

Bloodlet
Level 8
Oddly I've met alot of resistance from people to even try VR. Especialy from gamers!
There have been two reasons given to me on multiple occassions when I've offered a demo on the DK2.

1. I've been waiting for decades for VR and I don't want to try it yet and be dissappointed.

2. I know I'll love it and will want it, but can't afford it so I don't want to try it.

Not bad reasons and if Oculus have got the resolution, fov and price right everyone will be happy.

I haven't had any negativity for VR except for the inability for anyone else in the room to join in the experiance.
I'm ignoring the bad press and internet opinions as I can't verify the intelligence of the opinion givers and the bad press is just plain wrong working with bad information.

I have only had a couple of people feel sick and that was back in the early programming demos where the scaling or movement was off.

Tim74UK
Level 4
"Zoomie" wrote:
Has anyone else faced what I'm calling "irrational negativity" when trying to explain the Oculus to someone?

It usually takes one of several forms:
- I hear it makes everyone sick
- Facebook / Microsoft have great marketing but the product will suck because reasons
- I hear Vive / Morpheus / GearVR* is better technology and it's way cheaper. (*seriously, not making GearVR up)
- It's going to be just like 3D television

Absolutely.

But it's not just the Oculus or VR that suffers from this. It's any sufficiently advanced technology that blows the mind of the people you are trying to explain it to.

another example of this that happens is when explaining the science of Longevity and the fact that we all could be living much much longer lives as technology progresses.... when I have this conversion I get the same kind of negative comments and irrationally so. I mean who the heck wants to die for goodness sake... yet these people will argue that it's better than living longer.

Crazy.... but True.
My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

RirtualVeality
Level 5
I've experienced this as well...and not just from people that have an aversion to technology. Actual IT guys have told me, "I heard the Morpheus won't make you sick." That's brand power right there. They hear, "Microsoft" or, "Sony" and they feel safe in the knowledge that it'll be a good product because of the previous products they've bought from them. This is a bigger hurdle than most people think.

All of us here see how incredible the Rift is, but ask yourself how you came to know about it. Was it a YouTube reaction video? A game website? Unless the Rift makes a video with a sneezing panda, most people will never hear about it...until someone tells them how incredible it is.

Tim74UK
Level 4
"RirtualVeality" wrote:
I've experienced this as well...and not just from people that have an aversion to technology. Actual IT guys have told me, "I heard the Morpheus won't make you sick." That's brand power right there. They hear, "Microsoft" or, "Sony" and they feel safe in the knowledge that it'll be a good product because of the previous products they've bought from them. This is a bigger hurdle than most people think.

All of us here see how incredible the Rift is, but ask yourself how you came to know about it. Was it a YouTube reaction video? A game website? Unless the Rift makes a video with a sneezing panda, most people will never hear about it...until someone tells them how incredible it is.

I tend to keep my ear to the ground and always spot the new VR youtube vids... there was one put up a couple of days ago about the vive... clearly a fan boy who actually placed the Rift at the bottom of the pile then stated PSVR was much better but the creme del la creme was the Vive...

I mean this is the kind of talk that messes with the heads of those that have not been following the market and/or are not tech heads.
My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

Zoomie
Level 11
I've noticed this recently - that Vive is branded as a hardcore or elite system whereas the Rift is the beginner or casual system. They're nearly identical tech and capability when you think about it.

I'm curious about Vive's "technological breakthrough".
If it was a game changer then it would make sense to leak info about it prior to the Oculus pre-orders going live.
If it's a bluff, it makes sense to wait until the 8th or 9th to maximize the impact on Oculus pre-orders before people figure out it's a non-issue.

My money is that they're going to herald the front mounted camera as "revolutionary" and do some sort of software AR look-through.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Tim74UK
Level 4
"Zoomie" wrote:
I've noticed this recently - that Vive is branded as a hardcore or elite system whereas the Rift is the beginner or casual system. They're nearly identical tech and capability when you think about it.

I'm curious about Vive's "technological breakthrough".
If it was a game changer then it would make sense to leak info about it prior to the Oculus pre-orders going live.
If it's a bluff, it makes sense to wait until the 8th or 9th to maximize the impact on Oculus pre-orders before people figure out it's a non-issue.

My money is that they're going to herald the front mounted camera as "revolutionary" and do some sort of software AR look-through.

I'd laugh if the game changer was marketing speak for a button on the Vive controller that changes the games 🙂