cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Evga gtx 1060 6gb good enough for rift? (Solved)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im buying a new gpu and i dont have much space inside my pc. I tried Asus gtx 1060 6gb dual fan, but it was too big. It hits the Sata cables. So im thinking should i buy evga gtx 1060 6gb non-superclocked (309€) or a superclocked one (349€)?
17 REPLIES 17

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yes that should be fine. You can get the mini cards. Have you priced up the 1070 mini cards? They are not that much more.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
That is a lot of money for a 1060 😕
It will work and be fine for most games but..... Have you considered a new case. You will have to double check but I think bitfenix do a smallish case for not too much cash that can take a full sized card
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a lot of money for a 1060 😕
It will work and be fine for most games but..... Have you considered a new case. You will have to double check but I think bitfenix do a smallish case for not too much cash that can take a full sized card

The motherboard is too small, so it hits the Sata cables

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Yes that should be fine. You can get the mini cards. Have you priced up the 1070 mini cards? They are not that much more.

My power supply doesnt have 8 pin cable, only 6 pin. So it it doe go with the 1070. Which one should i buy, evga gtx 1060 6gb non-superclocked (309€) or superclocked (349€)

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I have that and it's been just fine for all things VR.

@Techy111 - I beg to differ on the prices - if I could have afforded a 1070 I would have got one, but they were min £100 more than the 1060, which is why that's what I got.

This was before the crapto-currency craze so things may have changed a bit - but probably more in an upwards direction.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@Brixmis a 1070 mini = dunno what price you paid but prices are now falling mate

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-8gb-gddr5-graphics-card/zt-p10700g-1...
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll buy Evga gtx 1060 6gb superclocked version. That's it  🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant

ilkkuPvP said:

I'll buy Evga gtx 1060 6gb superclocked version. That's it  🙂

It'll play almost all games just fine as long as you don't want to mess with super sampling.  You'll want 1070+ to play with ss.  I have the one you're getting and it's great.  You probably wouldn't notice a difference in many of the games out now, but some games like DCS world would show a clear difference between a 1060 6gb and a 1070.  So there are games that would clearly benefit.  Since I enjoy DCS, I personally would try to get a 1070 or better, and prices on the GTX cards should start going down now that the new RTX cards are out.  Hell you could even go used on ebay since they have their ridiculous give the house away because it's not our shit liberal returns policy they force upon their sellers over there, so if your card goes dead and you paid through paypal, you have 6 months of "Item not as described" coverage.  You have a full year if you use an Amex card....

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
I'll chime in here with a data point.  I have an ASUS Strix GTX1060 (6Gb) and it's perfectly fine for everything I've run.  As others have mentioned, you won't be able to super sample really demanding games but you can still play them fine at 1x.

If you're trading out cards because your ASUS didn't fit the case, you will keep running into this problem in the future.  Unless you have a major space constraint I would start looking for a new case with more room inside.