cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Nvidia drivers 388.59 still the recommended drivers? Black Screen

Everborn128
Explorer
Just curious if using drivers all the way back from December 2017 388.59 are still the Oculus recommended drivers? Im using the newest or close to it & still having the issue where the screen doesn't turn on when trying to use the Oculus the next day without having to reboot to fix the issue. Has this issue been fixed yet?? I hate to use such old drivers..
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was using 384.94 then crashed during BOXVR on Saturday. Next day it got blackouts since. Tried 388.59 and now on 397.55 and no joy. Had complete new install of Runtime, latest May patch to Win10 April 1803 also. Checked my cable both ends. It's either a Win10 USB controller driver or power management not saving properly in registry as some used a hack to DisableSuspend and it worked. I'm holding off for that.

Everborn128
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

I was using 384.94 then crashed during BOXVR on Saturday. Next day it got blackouts since. Tried 388.59 and now on 397.55 and no joy. Had complete new install of Runtime, latest May patch to Win10 April 1803 also. Checked my cable both ends. It's either a Win10 USB controller driver or power management not saving properly in registry as some used a hack to DisableSuspend and it worked. I'm holding off for that.

Keep in mind I would never go off of a Early Access game to judge stability. 9/10 there isn't anything you can do to fix the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
All Oculus is basically Early Access for once black screens begin they stay.

Everborn128
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

All Oculus is basically Early Access for once black screens begin they stay.

Well, I mean I guess that's true but keep in mind at least double check it's happening on more then just your early access game is all I'm saying.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know. I only mention BOXVR in case of any User patterns. It actually in my case caused a crash which is not a good thing on SSD & Hybrid drives. It seemed to have corrupted something in Win10 which is not solved by the latest 1803 April and May updates, Latest Nvidia (nor older), nor Home Old or Home2 and every tweak Users tried with some success except for the REGEDIT to DissableSusendedUSB Power. It looks far more likely that Win10 is using too low a Power consumption in an effort to be green and it won't run once stuck in this state.

Anonymous
Not applicable
why the hate for drivers that just work? glad my rift has been rock solid with 388.59 and until I hear another version being that stable I'll stick to that one.

Everborn128
Explorer

Rolz said:

why the hate for drivers that just work? glad my rift has been rock solid with 388.59 and until I hear another version being that stable I'll stick to that one.

Yes I hear you but it doesn't mean it's the best drivers for the rest of my non VR games or other things in general.

Everborn128
Explorer
So I've been trying 388.59 for a bit now & not one black screen. How has Nvidia or Oculus not figured out the cause of this issue in the driver's from 5 months back??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Blackscreens for me are a kinked cable. Nothing to do with Nvidia Drivers. Interestingly on a fresh install, WIN10 updates Nvidia to just 388.13 as the most UP TO DATE as a caution.