cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Oculus Rift necessary with Touch if you wanna play say 180° games?

Camo_C
Honored Guest
I was wondering do you really need Rift with Touch if you wanna play games like VRChat wich can be played sitting on a chair and not 360°. Will one sensor be enough if you wanna just move around your hands but don't want to use the headset to look around. Or Can you get Touch and use your phone as the VR headset for example.
9 REPLIES 9

kojack
MVP
MVP
Touch won't work with a phone. The touch controllers communicate with the rift headset wirelessly.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

flexy123
Superstar
Do you really want to walk around in VRchat WITHOUT your arms being able to move? NO MATTER what you play on Rift, trust me you want your fricking hands. I *rarely* play "360" standing, 95% of what I play is seated and you still absolutely want your hands. The only type of games where I can see it even possible not using hands would be flight sims or Elite D...but then there you would use a HOTAS.

Camo_C
Honored Guest

kojack said:

Touch won't work with a phone. The touch controllers communicate with the rift headset wirelessly.

ok but is 2 sensors necessary for 180 games

Camo_C
Honored Guest

flexy123 said:

Do you really want to walk around in VRchat WITHOUT your arms being able to move? NO MATTER what you play on Rift, trust me you want your fricking hands. I *rarely* play "360" standing, 95% of what I play is seated and you still absolutely want your hands. The only type of games where I can see it even possible not using hands would be flight sims or Elite D...but then there you would use a HOTAS.

Yeah i just want the hands not rift that's why i'm asking do i need more than one sensor to play games while sitting on a chair

Anonymous
Not applicable
You'll be fine with the Rift and one sensor playing seated as long as you're not sitting too far away from it. But you'll be restricting the games that you'll be able to play. There are plenty of seated games using the gamepad, steering wheel controller and HOTAS but you'll be missing out on A LOT of the best games available if you don't have the Touch controllers and a second sensor.

HiThere_
Superstar
If you really want to pull it off :
1) Use a piece of paper to prevent the CV1 from switching off.
2) Put the CV1 in front of your monitor, and facing your monitor, in a place it can be tracked by the sensors. So your avatar's head, your real head, and your CV1 are all looking in the same forward direction.

As for using 1 or 2 sensors : 1 sensor would work, but a 2nd sensor while not necessary would significantly improve the quality of the hand tracking.

Camo_C
Honored Guest

Cyril said:

What kojack said is that the Touch controllers communicate through the CV1 headset, not directly through the PC like the Xbox gamepad does, and I'm guessing that when the CV1 powers down it stops relaying the Touch position to the PC (which you could bypass by preventing the CV1 from switching off).

Now putting that aside, you can use a single sensor to track both Touch controllers : You don't need 1 sensor per Touch controller, the 2nd sensor is there to increase the odds of each Touch controller being in the line of sight of at least 1 sensor at all times.

And you can test how 180° single sensor dual hand tracking without wearing the CV1 looks like by...testing what 180° single sensor dual hand tracking looks like when you are wearing the CV1.

PS : If you put the single sensor right in front of you, and keep your right hand to your right side, and your left hand to your left side, then your hands should never hide each other from the single sensor's line of sight, and the tracking would work fine.

So i may not be able to use the touch without the rift because the rift is just too expensive for me?

Camo_C
Honored Guest
What I mean is i dont have either touch or the headset is the headset "must have" with touch or can i play with touch only?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ville111 said:

What I mean is i dont have either touch or the headset is the headset "must have" with touch or can i play with touch only?

Yes you need the Oculus CV1 headset to use Touch. You can use the Oculus headset without Touch, but not vice-versa.