cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Oculus VR future better with, or without Palmer Luckey?

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I'm just curious on everyone's thought's about this. Do you think Palmer Luckey being forced out of Oculus by Facebook was a bad thing for the future of Oculus VR hardware?

Do you think we have lost his innovation and ideas? Or do you think the people in charge now will do just as good a job as he would with CV2 or even better?

I personally don't have enough information to make an informed decision on this either way, but my instincts tell me that it's a bad thing that he left. But I could be wrong?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR: This is a tech VR forum, I will allow this thread as long as it remains in the confines of tech/VR discussion. Politics, religion etc, will give you a warning or a ban. Thanks! 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
57 REPLIES 57

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:

But no matter how low Facebook's reputation goes, it still won't be as bad as Palmer's reputation.

There’s where you’re wrong, my Zuckerberg-loving friend. What Palmer Luckey did was fund a group that makes shitposting memes. Not exactly a high crime or even a misdemeanor. What Zuckerberg did was lie and violate the privacy of millions of users. Quite a bit more serious, I would say. 
 😉 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

cybernettr said:There’s where you’re wrong, my Zuckerberg-loving friend. What Palmer Luckey did was fund a group that makes shitposting memes. Not exactly a high crime or even a misdemeanor. What Zuckerberg did was lie and violate the privacy of millions of users. Quite a bit more serious, I would say.

Palmer did more than that, but it can't be addressed without getting in to politics and other controversial area. Besides, I've had this debate with you plenty in the past, and you always end up denying the truth and calling it "fake news."

Your witch hunt against Zuckerburg wont amount to much.

vannagirl
Consultant

Zenbane said:

I'm gonna go ahead and choose: Better Without

is this NRA right wing Jesus in the middle??

ohh

Opps

My bad :#  o:)
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

cybernettr said:There’s where you’re wrong, my Zuckerberg-loving friend. What Palmer Luckey did was fund a group that makes shitposting memes. Not exactly a high crime or even a misdemeanor. What Zuckerberg did was lie and violate the privacy of millions of users. Quite a bit more serious, I would say.

Palmer did more than that, but it can't be addressed without getting in to politics and other controversial area. Besides, I've had this debate with you plenty in the past, and you always end up denying the truth and calling it "fake news."

It pretty pathetic to bring his politics into it.  I don't agree with them but what on earth has that got to do with VR or anything?  You don't check the politics of everyone else do you?  Bread, milk, your car etc?  Focusing on politics is just another symptom of this day-and-age and the incredible sense of entitlement that some have

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I will say one thing good about Palmer: His girlfriend is very nom nom.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

FunkyLasagne said:
It pretty pathetic to bring his politics into it. 

Agree, that's why I am not going to bring the "p" word into it.
Many people try this revisionist smoke-screen to hide the core facts that do impact us in the VR community. The fundamental reasons why we are having this boring conversation yet again :

The ex-Founder of the company's position became untenable because:

1- He had embroiled them in a legal suit where he had been found to have broken a NDA and was being fined
2- He was found to have been inconsistent with the truth regarding involvement / investments into a service that had unsavoury leanings
3- He had found it difficult to continue in his position due to the pressures of expected work
4- He had made himself unpopular with the core customer-base after a badly handled AMA on Reddit and subsequent interviews

The rest is "fake news" and hyperbole and attempts to interject the "p" word into the conversation to hide the real reasoning behind Facebook's difficult decision. If those four reasons are not enough (especially after "Ballpark-gate" and the rest), then I cant help you!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

It pretty pathetic to bring his politics into it.  I don't agree with them but what on earth has that got to do with VR or anything?  You don't check the politics of everyone else do you?  Bread, milk, your car etc?  Focusing on politics is just another symptom of this day-and-age and the incredible sense of entitlement that some have

Everything that happened to Palmer leading up to his departure from Oculus was centered entirely around his political fiasco. No one can talk about Palmer's departure from Oculus without at least noting the word "politics." The trick is to avoid bringing our own personal politics in to the discussion. But there is no mistake that politics was a key role in the events surrounding his departure.

Afterall, he ended up dressing up like "Quiet" after he left, to mock the fact that he wasn't allowed to have a political voice. And he made at least one Tweet about it roughly 6 months later.

It's not pathetic to discuss the facts of a situation. It's pathetic to lie to ourselves about those facts.

Lastly, list how many wars have been fought over politics. Then, list how many wars have been fought over bread, milk, and cars. That should help bring you some insight in to the differences. List them on paper though, not on the forum lol

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

1- He had embroiled them in a legal suit where he had been found to have broken a NDA and was being fined
2- He was found to have been inconsistent with the truth regarding involvement / investments into a service that had unsavoury leanings

Carmack was guilty of the same thing, and arguably to a greater degree than Palmer. Yet Carmack remains employed by Facebook as a leader in VR. This was not the reason Palmer exited the company.

kevinw729 said:
3- He had found it difficult to continue in his position due to the pressures of expected work
4- He had made himself unpopular with the core customer-base after a badly handled AMA on Reddit and subsequent interviews

Number 3 is fiction and Number 4 skirts the main issue: His activities online took a political turn, which turned out to be the bigger problem.

kevinw729 said:
The rest is "fake news" and hyperbole and attempts to interject the "p" word into the conversation t

It was a very real scenario that Developers and Consumers took to places like Twitter to voice their intent to distance themselves from Oculus as long as Palmer remained employed. It is an observable fact, which is the opposite of fake news.

Just because the facts make you uncomfortable doesn't mean they aren't facts.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
That buzzing noise from the shadows is getting louder - but anyway, it noise means nothing other than a serious  inability to manage themselves on a forum.