cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Rift destined to be a Windows only widget?

onefang
Explorer
From another thread, where it was off topic -

"haagch" wrote:
"onefang" wrote:
Please say it's impossible cybereality. I'm great at doing the impossible, once I know it's impossible. Oculus may think it's too hard, but I'm always up for a challenge. With Oculus lack of support for Linux, Mac, and laptops, I'll likely just have to write my own drivers. It will be completely open source, Oculus can switch to using it if they really care. 😜

You know, it likely is impossible. This part is the important one:
The current system has deep integration into the Nvidia/AMD drivers and Windows

Since oculus has chosen to "partner" with microsoft they have gone into a strong dependence into the proprietary ecosystem of windows and the amd and nvidia drivers.

Sure, you can always continue Doc Ok's work on reverse engineering and writing a new oculus rift driver from scratch http://doc-ok.org/?p=1095, but replicating and improving upon what oculus is releasing? Not without cooperation from microsoft, amd and nvidia. And then there's no guarantee that the CV1 can be reverse engineered the same way.

I'm beginning to think haagch is onto something here.

Normally I avoid Windows only widgets like the plague, since I'm not a Windows user. It's starting to feel like Oculus has not only suckered me into buying a Windows only widget, but the most expensive widget I've bought for years. I'm seriously rethinking this whole thing now.
81 REPLIES 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
"onefang" wrote:
From another thread, where it was off topic -

"haagch" wrote:
"onefang" wrote:
Please say it's impossible cybereality. I'm great at doing the impossible, once I know it's impossible. Oculus may think it's too hard, but I'm always up for a challenge. With Oculus lack of support for Linux, Mac, and laptops, I'll likely just have to write my own drivers. It will be completely open source, Oculus can switch to using it if they really care. 😜

You know, it likely is impossible. This part is the important one:
The current system has deep integration into the Nvidia/AMD drivers and Windows

Since oculus has chosen to "partner" with microsoft they have gone into a strong dependence into the proprietary ecosystem of windows and the amd and nvidia drivers.

Sure, you can always continue Doc Ok's work on reverse engineering and writing a new oculus rift driver from scratch http://doc-ok.org/?p=1095, but replicating and improving upon what oculus is releasing? Not without cooperation from microsoft, amd and nvidia. And then there's no guarantee that the CV1 can be reverse engineered the same way.

I'm beginning to think haagch is onto something here.

Normally I avoid Windows only widgets like the plague, since I'm not a Windows user. It's starting to feel like Oculus has not only suckered me into buying a Windows only widget, but the most expensive widget I've bought for years. I'm seriously rethinking this whole thing now.

So concerning Macs...

The truth is Mac are simply not gaming machines. They haven't been gaming machines since well almost forever. Macs do not have the processing capabilities to perform at the same level as PCs.

Then there are the restrictions that the IOS places on applications and you have a system that is very unattractive for developers.

Unix/Linux etc... I mean sure I see the advantages but from a VR perspective you would have build from the ground up graphics API's with similar low latency responses... sure it could be done... but why bother when there is already a platform that has all of that built into the OS right off the bat?

Besides... I don't know of anyone running unix/linux on their home machines.. I bet they are a very rare bread of MS haters.

onefang
Explorer
VR isn't only for games.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"onefang" wrote:
VR isn't only for games.

Of course... but the Gaming industry is pretty much the only industry at the moment that has the skill base to create complex three dimensional environments..

You have to walk before you can run.

onefang
Explorer
"Tim74UK" wrote:
Of course... but the Gaming industry is pretty much the only industry at the moment that has the skill base to create complex three dimensional environments..

You do know that plenty of other industries have plenty of experience creating complex three dimensional environments? You know, like all those people who have been using VR for non game purposes for the last couple of decades. And, say for instance, me, I have plenty of experience creating non gaming virtual worlds, they tend to be complex.

Just sounds like bullshit justification to me, not any sort of proper answer. The rest of your argument wasn't even worth responding to.

jyoun
Explorer
Oculus has not only suckered me into buying a Windows only widget, but the most expensive widget I've bought for years.
Did Oculus ever say they'll support Apple/Linux? Of course, I imagine they'll want to, but being that it's such a small user-base in comparison I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Sorry dude... 😞

tweet from Palmer:
"Mac support is on the roadmap post-decent Apple hardware release, whenever that is," Luckey said.
https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status ... 5023918080

Anonymous
Not applicable
The truth is Mac are simply not gaming machines. They haven't been gaming machines since well almost forever. Macs do not have the processing capabilities to perform at the same level as PCs.

I have to agree with this. I’ve used a Mac at work for almost 20 years, and there is no comparison. My £1,000 2 year old PC at home massively outperforms my work Mac which is roughly the same age, but cost around three times as much. Macs always have been and always will be a niche market. I work for a DTP firm and (like many others) the main reason we use Macs are for the snob value, rather than for any actual advantage Macs give.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"onefang" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

You do know that plenty of other industries have plenty of experience creating complex three dimensional environments? You know, like all those people who have been using VR for non game purposes for the last couple of decades.

And you use a Mac??!?!??

onefang
Explorer
Tim, your answer to my question is "yes, coz games". Fine, we don't need to spend the rest of this thread discussing your wrong assumptions.

Anybody else got anything to say that's on topic?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"onefang" wrote:
Tim, your answer to my question is "yes, coz games". Fine, we don't need to spend the rest of this thread discussing your wrong assumptions.

Anybody else got anything to say that's on topic?

My assumptions are not wrong, as they are not assumptions.

Macs are not the tool you should be using for generating real-time complex graphical intensive three dimensional environments.. period...

Using a Mac over a PC to do that would be tantamount to using a track car in a cross country rally, they just aren't built with that in mind....

The only reason you seem resistant to the facts appears to be that you are a MAC user... and feel disgruntled that VR seems to be avoiding your platform of choice.

I'm just saying that it isn't that developers are biast against the MAC, it's just the MAC is not the best system to run VR on.