cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is everyone going to just sit pretty about these black screen issues?

bp_michael
Honored Guest
I'm going through thread after thread looking for help to get my CV1 working again and just finding dead threads with the same questions and answers.

Anytime an Oculus member steps in they say to make a support ticket. I made one previously and they just ask you to do the same stuff that every one is mentioning in these threads. I am slowly losing hope in Oculus as time goes on with this. There's no progress on this issue and it seems as though oculus support has no need to even actually talk with any of us about it.

24 REPLIES 24

falken76
Expert Consultant

Rolz said:

so if it's dead do they ask u to send it back or not?

Yea they have asked to send it back and I held out for a bit because they wanted a CC on file and when I asked why the person I was talking to suddenly stopped responding but I just said screw it and added it so I can hopefully send it in tomorrow.

This also wouldn't be something I had to do if oculus didn't tell resellers like bestbuy that they can not accept returns on the rift. Seriously the worst thing possible considering they are barely doing anything to help fight the problems existing with the headsets right now. 

Best Buy won't let you return the rift?  Is that if it is outside their regular return window?  Is this recent, I thought people were opting to return some of their rifts to the retailer as opposed waiting on an RMA.  Is it the same with Amazon now?

@cybereality is this true?

falken76
Expert Consultant

I thought mine was a driver issue. It's actually the cable which over time has become twisted. This results in black screen and needs a little nudge to fix. The replacement cable cost is something I am not prepared to pay at the moment, but I fear I will have to soon enough or just buy a new rift/two sensors and touch for the same price as the replacement cable. 😛

Hey if you have a legit source on a complete Rift system for only $50 point it out to me, I'll buy their entire stock out.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

The black screen issue is Nvidia related in many cases, it is listed as a current issue on their official forums as well as community Reddit. It affects both VIVE and Rift. It doesn't affect all users.

I, for example, have no issues with the latest driver.

What is the black screen issue? 

My Rift sometimes disconnects and goes black. I have to reboot to get things working again. Is that the same issue? 

I started having issues a couple of weeks ago after I updated my drivers. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

cybereality
Grand Champion
The black screen requiring reboot is most likely the new Nvidia driver. Please use driver 388.59 specifically for best compatibility. In terms of returning the product to the store, that is usually the fastest way to get a replacement if you are within the return window (14 days for Best Buy, or 30 days on Amazon, etc.).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

danknugz
Superstar
never upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers until at least 3 months

i only update drivers if a game says to use a specific version, otherwise i eventually get around maybe 4 or 5 months down the road.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

LeroyJennnkins
Honored Guest
I  already AM running 388.59.   I rolled back to fix a bug a few weeks back and then the last oculus update caused me new problems:
If I take of the headset I have a better than 50% chance of coming back to a blank screen.  Shutting down whatever im doing and restarting the oculus software usually fixes it, but sometimes I have to reboot to get things going again.
I've noticed the "The Guardian System isnt working" errors again too.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

danknugz said:

never upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers until at least 3 months

i only update drivers if a game says to use a specific version, otherwise i eventually get around maybe 4 or 5 months down the road.

I usually never upgrade drivers unless I have a problem. I thought I was being paranoid but now I got burned again. 

I only upgraded because someone on the forum said the new drivers were awesome and boosted performance. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

bp_michael
Honored Guest
sdf

bp_michael
Honored Guest

The black screen requiring reboot is most likely the new Nvidia driver. Please use driver 388.59 specifically for best compatibility. In terms of returning the product to the store, that is usually the fastest way to get a replacement if you are within the return window (14 days for Best Buy, or 30 days on Amazon, etc.).

The driver rollback is only working for a select few and as far as the returns the best buy employee specifically said that oculus had instructed best buy not to accept returns and to go to them directly.

HiThere_
Superstar
Recently, after playing a few hours my CV1 sometime goes dark (only until I take it off and put it back on again, no PC reboot required)... but maybe I'm only noticing it because I've been playing a new game, and playing it a lot : Might be a game specific issue, or the return of last year's USB power saving bug, but for now I'm just hoping the incoming Dash 1.23 patch will fix it.