cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Quest still worth it?

Magnus81
Explorer
I'm using the Oculus Go at the moment. Since the apps won't get any updates in December anymore I won't be able to use altspacevr anymore. I wonder if I should buy the Quest, wich got cheaper and maybe will get even cheaper before christmas or should I wai till next year and buy the oculus quest 2 instead? The thought behind this is that 1 year after the quest was released the support for the go stopps. I know, technicly it's till 2022 but lets face it. No updates for the apps means that you can't use the social apps anymore. I wonder if the Quest will have a similiar faith.
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure where you saw the Quest get cheaper, I have not seen that.
I am pretty sure Oculus is committed fully to Quest as that seems to be where all their attention is devoted these days.
No one knows when an updated Quest might arrive though. Maybe something will be divulged at Oculus Connect 7, no hard date yet on when that might be.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Magnus81 said:

I'm using the Oculus Go at the moment. Since the apps won't get any updates in December anymore I won't be able to use altspacevr anymore. I wonder if I should buy the Quest, wich got cheaper and maybe will get even cheaper before christmas or should I wai till next year and buy the oculus quest 2 instead? The thought behind this is that 1 year after the quest was released the support for the go stopps. I know, technicly it's till 2022 but lets face it. No updates for the apps means that you can't use the social apps anymore. I wonder if the Quest will have a similiar faith.

I would definitely wait until September at the very least, to see what Oculus announces as their next conference.

Oculus continues to release exclusives for their Rift, but Quest is definitely getting the updates it needs to make it as stable as the Rift, since it is a good 3 years behind. A Quest 2 could be announced, and considering some of the drawbacks of Quest CV1 (e.g. the Weight, Resolution, etc), it's definitely worth waiting 2 more months.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:
I am pretty sure Oculus is committed fully to Quest as that seems to be where all their attention is devoted these days.

Fake news. Aside from the Rift PCVR exclusives that Oculus has already released, there are at least 2 more coming soon:
  • Lone Echo 2
  • Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond
These are multi-million dollar PCVR Rift exclusives. This wouldn't be possible if "all their attention" was on the Quest.
B)

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
No updates for the apps means that you can't use the social apps anymore. I wonder if the Quest will have a similiar faith. [fait?]

The answer is that to achieve the domination of the medium goal of the parent company the platform is liable for any scenario. There is a strong possibility if FB decides to double down into MR that Quesr will have the same outcome as Go - the sudden departure of app developers from Oculus also means that support of Rift-S is going to be interesting 0 explaining the finger tracking apps may be delayed!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959