cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a good reason why Oculus won’t support latest iMac?

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
I just bought a top specced out iMac. My previous development was on a PC and DK2. Since Oculus’s new SDK rendered my DK2 redundant I bought a new iMac because I like it a lot. I was thinking of buying a new Oculus to match. I can’t find much reference regarding any Oculus-Apple link-up, despite the fact that the Mac seems to tick all the VR requirement boxes. Question to Oculus: do I drop Oculus now for good and go for the HTC Vive or are they planning to support Apple users after all? If I hear positive sounds I may hang in there otherwise I will get a Vive.
http://www.lightandmagic.co.uk Fantasy becomes Reality
91 REPLIES 91

RattyUK
Trustee

What do you call the Intel Inside logo?  The warning label...  (Meltdown/Spectre and the POOR handling of their issue there that they KNEW about for YEARS...  You'd have thought they'd have learned about this sort of stuff with the Floating Point fails...but, nooo....)   There's also a "sh*te inside" logo floating about as well.  Kind of fitting too.

I thought the Sh*te Inside' logo wasn't destined for PC Compatibles but the copycat fashion statements...

Maybe I shouldn't recall when I was invited to Apple UK's HO by their Head of Technical Support to hack a PC they had hired for an upcoming Macfest event as the humble Dell was outperforming their latest dual processor PowerMac (being nearly twice as fast) on every graphical operation sent to it.

I ended up switching out the cache on the PC, it then lost out by a few seconds...

Never could understand the fanatical attitude of Mac owners, I spent too many years having to carry a copy of Norton with me to fix the self-corrupting DOS (ahh, those B-tree leaves) and directory structure, granted the Motorola CPU's were brilliant RISC devices but Intel just out-paced the best they could produce.  That is why todays fashion statements are just pretty PC's with a massive price tag and a glossed over Unix-like operating system.  (read the technical description of all Apple OS's from System 7 onward, I don't believe it has changed over much with OS X and its variants)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best Intel Inside sticker I've seen was one that said 'Intel Inside, Idiot Outside' back in the 90s when AMD CPUs were pissing all over Intel CPUs in terms of performance lol 😄 😄 😄