cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an app to display a live feed from a Camera?

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
One of my (many) other Hobbies is First Person Flying.. This is basically model planes, with a video camera, video transmitters and goggles, such as this:

http://www.fatshark.com/product/1759.html

The problem with these goggles is that they are expensive, and have a tiny Field of View. And I keep thinking how much better the OR is and what a great tool it could be this application (but only using it as 2D goggles, with no head tracking).

And I just wondered whether there is already an app to do what I am looking for.

Basically, the PC would take in a live video stream (from an analogue source).. Process it, splitting the image in 2 and adding the correction.. And allowing it to be viewed by the OR.

Obviously it would not be 3D.. But the FOV would be AWSOME compared to what I have.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Jon
11 REPLIES 11

Gygax
Explorer
"mrjazz" wrote:
"jweaver" wrote:
For the record, Lag or Framerate is not an issue for my application.. The OR would be exactly the same as my current goggles, but would have a much better FOV.

I know what you want, because I'm doing FPV flying by myself. I developed this app, because I realized how amazing it would be getting the FOV of a GoPro into the Rift, because their FOVs match almost perfectly. For getting the HD-signal through the air I'm using the DJI Lightbridge and a low-latency frame-grabber, and I can tell you, it's absolutely great. The bottleneck currently is the low resolution and picture quality of the DK1. But hopefully I'm holding the DK2 in my hands within the next two weeks. 8-)

i scratchbuild foamboard planes for AP. im very excited and interested in what you posted and what youre developing. theres a few of us RC fpv'rs here.

please keep us up to date on your software and let us know when you release 😉
I preordered a DK2 in April, from Australia.. ..and Im still completely sane!! ;P

mrjazz
Honored Guest
"Gygax" wrote:
please keep us up to date on your software and let us know when you release 😉

The software is realeased: 🙂
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001