cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyone here that owns both a Gear VR and an Oculus Go?

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
For those that own a Gear VR and also an Oculus Go:

• What are your thoughts on Go so far?
  • Was it worth $200-$250 to buy it?
  • Are there any things that Gear VR does better than Oculus Go?
8 REPLIES 8

phillipbergman8
Honored Guest
I have both. I have Gear VR with the Galaxy S7. So my biggest complaint was that it was pretty glitchy at times and lagged a lot. So far the GO is super smooth, haven't used it very much yet but it seems pretty identical to the Gear VR for the most part. Can't quite tell yet if it was worth the $250 I paid for it! Gear VR does have the Samsung VR app which the GO doesn't have.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The Samsung S9 has a better screen resolution then the Go, so shouldn't a S9 in Gear VR look better then the GO? I can't believe Samsung still don't have a 4K screen for their mobile phones..

Remember there are several Gear VRs and phones that go in them.  I believe they say the spec in the Go is comparable to the S7 but should perform the same as an S8 due to the Go only providing VR, not the "phone stuff".

By rights, the spec of the S9 should be way above the Go.  An S9 in the latest Gear VR - not sure?  I don't know how much the lenses in the Gear VRs have changed over the years.  Will be interesting to see if Samsung bring another Gear VR out this year and if them and Oculus are sharing knowledge on these awesome lenses.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

LZoltowski
Champion

I have both. I have Gear VR with the Galaxy S7. So my biggest complaint was that it was pretty glitchy at times and lagged a lot. So far the GO is super smooth, haven't used it very much yet but it seems pretty identical to the Gear VR for the most part. Can't quite tell yet if it was worth the $250 I paid for it! Gear VR does have the Samsung VR app which the GO doesn't have.

Ah yes, that's why GO in my view has an advantage over gearVR ... it's a device designed to be used as a VR headset only without any of the phone stuff overhead, with a much better thermal design.  

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware". - Alan Kay

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Dilip
Rising Star
Gear VR may not do things better than go due to fact that its powered by phone, and phones are phone first rest all secondary, always something going on in background, always try to be in connection (radio), also GO has advantage of better optics, fixed fovated rendering and overall more vr app supporting OS. 

Dilip
Rising Star
Will there be Snapdragon 850 powered oculus go? Sure if current GO are sold in millions (Very likely .. Soon if they properly release in China and India), Since Google already developed positional controller tracking with 2 fish eye camera 

https://www.roadtovr.com/google-mobile-6dof-vr-controller-tracking-inside-out/ Sure it will be part of lenovo mirage solo very soon. 

Oculus Go 2.0 can benefit from this system.

I also assume at some point Santacruz and Oculus Go will merge in to a single economical platform.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah yes, that's why GO in my view has an advantage over gearVR ... it's a device designed to be used as a VR headset only without any of the phone stuff overhead, with a much better thermal design.  

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware". - Alan Kay

Thermal design is one of the BIG reasons that VR can scale a lot better on it's own hardware. Thermal design is also one of the reasons we are not seeing much scale from the smart phones anymore either with a gain about 10% time over time. They are hitting what the phone can actually do with their limited thermal design case. We're almost to the point that phones might start seeing "good enough" market that they will just start costing more than actually give anymore benefit to the user. I say another 5 years and that will be that. Shrinks are not going to help if they can't move the heat around fast enough.

The benefit OGO will have in the future is more space for transferring heat and the ability to have a larger battery in the future releases. This means stronger video soc designs that can take advantage of that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dilip said:

Will there be Snapdragon 850 powered oculus go? Sure if current GO are sold in millions (Very likely .. Soon if they properly release in China and India), Since Google already developed positional controller tracking with 2 fish eye camera 

https://www.roadtovr.com/google-mobile-6dof-vr-controller-tracking-inside-out/ Sure it will be part of lenovo mirage solo very soon. 

Oculus Go 2.0 can benefit from this system.

I also assume at some point Santacruz and Oculus Go will merge in to a single economical platform.

Probably not anytime soon. Oculus chose the hardware so that it would be binary compatible with the Gear VR so that developers could port the games from the Gear VR Store to the Oculus Go Store in literally minutes by just changing the game's splash screens.

Once the next version comes out in a year or (more likely) two I can see them opting for more power though.