cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to share games/apps with another account in your household?

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
I really want to buy another Rift since it's on sale and while it's currently in my cart, I had a quick thought... am I going to have to purchase all of the games/apps, especially multiplayer, again just to play with another member in my house? 

I really hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing I'd have to create another account, possibly before purchasing, and use that account to setup the Rift so I get the games/apps that come with the bundle. I guess I would have to change the account on my PC to the new account but afterwards have to purchase everything all over again even when the games are downloaded to that current PC under my original account? 

Some please tell me I'm wrong...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You can use your same account on more than one PC (and install your previously purchased games), but not at the same time (i.e. you can't buy one copy of a MP game and play against each other on both headsets on the same account). You also can't share your purchased games between multiple accounts.

You'll want to have a second account so the free Touch games aren't wasted when you activate the new Touch controllers. A second account means you can play MP games like D&B against each other, and some MP games are free to play (Echo Arena), so you could get some mileage out of the second Rift without repurchasing anything.

A second account would also mean that the second Rift could be used while the first in is in use (although, perhaps with a limited selection of games if you want to normally use it with your primary account).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think you can have two Rifts working on one PC at the same time. You'll need to have 2 separate PCs.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
They're hardly going to let you have 2 seperate PC's running the same account and games at the same time. This is pretty much unheard of; just imagine if you could do that with Steam, you could just log on as your friends and play all their games for free on your own computer. Yes of course you would need to buy a copy for each PC to play them at the same time.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@snowdog I have 2 PCs, so I'll be using one Rift per PC. Right now I have one Rift and alternate between the two PCs. Sometimes I use the one in the basement with the Virtunix Omni and have much more space. Sometimes I'll use the one in my upstairs office for convenience, development, etc.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You can use your same account on more than one PC (and install your previously purchased games), but not at the same time (i.e. you can't buy one copy of a MP game and play against each other on both headsets on the same account). You also can't share your purchased games between multiple accounts.

You'll want to have a second account so the free Touch games aren't wasted when you activate the new Touch controllers. A second account means you can play MP games like D&B against each other, and some MP games are free to play (Echo Arena), so you could get some mileage out of the second Rift without repurchasing anything.

A second account would also mean that the second Rift could be used while the first in is in use (although, perhaps with a limited selection of games if you want to normally use it with your primary account).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Chazmeister I've always been more of a console person even though I have a ton of games on Steam. On the PS4 I can log in from a friend/family member's PS4 and access all my digital titles. You can also setup a family member under your account that will have access to your games. I know it sounds unheard of to do this but most of the times people have more than one console or in this case, Rift, to play multiplayer games with family members in their household or friends that may only come over once in a while. It would be nice to have guest accounts for times like that or family accounts to add to your primary account for more permanent cases.

I'd even pay a small fee for multiplayer options or multiple profiles like I'm describing because the only time my family and friends are going to play those games are with me, which is rare, so I would prefer not to waste money on additional copies of my ever growing catalog. 

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer

nalex66 said:

Thanks @nalex66. I guess there's no choice but to do that. I'll have to go through my games to see which ones I have to pay for. Hopefully there will be another great deal on Oculus games.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Yes, you can do a similar thing with Steam that you can do with the PS4 and have family sharing setup so that they can access games from your account on other PC's in your house. It's a bit of a pain to do, but you can of course also set it up for friends on their remote PC's. But whilst one of the members of your sharing list is playing one of your games, you will not be able to access it yourself. Only one person can access a game at a time. I'm pretty sure that's the same on the PS4.

But what I can gather from what you are saying, is that you want to be able to buy one copy of a multiplayer game and use it on two separate machines at the same time. This is obviously not going to be possible and I think it's unreasonable to be able to expect that.

If it's not the same game, like you want to play The Climb, whilst they play Chrome from your account, then yes I can see where you're coming from and it would be a nice feature. However I think it's still a bit early days to be expecting that kind of feature from OH considering it still lacks a lot of other basic functionality.

If however you are just planning to set them up on two PC's for the sake of convenience as you have said in your other reply, and do not plan on using them concurrently. Then yes, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to setup your current account on both PC's with the games that account has.

As nalex66 has said, you'll want to setup a separate account for your new Rift, so that you get the free games that come with it when you first plug it in and register it. Even if you then go back to using it with your current account afterwards, make sure you register the new Rift with a new account to get the freebies.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Chazmeister so I guess my thoughts were coming from a PS4 shareplay point of view. As long as the developers enable it, you can share your game with a friend. My friends had Borderlands for PS4 and they shared it with me since I didn't have it to play a 4-player co-op with them. It's a great option because I'm glad that I was able to join them but at the same time I was never interested in buying Borderlands so it's basically just like going over a friend's house to play the game for a bit. 

orbankaroly
Explorer
You can share your Steam games with up to 10 Accounts officially (I don't remember whether you are counted in the limit of 10 Account or not).