cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this forum's Community Dead now? - Probable Causes?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Serious question. This forum used to be buzzing during the Cybereality days, now it just seems to be an empty-shell of support questions and issues with a minute selection of worthy threads. Only a few posters now keeping the flame burning. I guess we're in a transitioning period, but that surely hasn't ended all discussion or has that been milked-to-death in light of no new hardware announcements from team Oculus? 

Question though, what would bring it all flooding back, Obviously discussions of rival brands isn't enough on its own.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
140 REPLIES 140

Anonymous
Not applicable
I spy Atmos :open_mouth: when looking at VR forums xD what a throw back... 

Digikid1
Consultant
Oh my.  He was quite the moron.  Good riddance to him.

Back on topic does anyone know what happened to @LZoltowski?  He seemed quite active as a mod then he just simply disappeared.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

...I sometimes wonder if users have gotten all the games and sims they ever wanted - and have stopped buying new software.
This is sort of the case for me--I'm buried deeper than ever in a gaming backlog, both VR and non-VR. Aside from HL:Alyx, I haven't finished any of the big titles released in the past year. I'm just not finding much time to fit gaming in with my family life at home these days, so I've pretty much stopped buying games, except for the few must-play games that come along.

The only gaming I'm doing lately is on the Quest--I bring it to work and get a half-hour in at lunchtime every day. I've been playing classic Doom with the excellent QuestZDoom port.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

OmegaM4N said:

I am actually quite suprised this forum is still here, i would have thought by now FB would have closed it and had the whole thing move to their FB social media site, which i assume will happen at some point anyway, i mean now that everyone has a mandatory FB account linked to their oculus hardware and software there will be no issues moving completely to FB......;)

You see what i did there. lol

I dont have a facebook account linked to my account/headset.
WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Morgrum said:

OmegaM4N said:

I am actually quite suprised this forum is still here, i would have thought by now FB would have closed it and had the whole thing move to their FB social media site, which i assume will happen at some point anyway, i mean now that everyone has a mandatory FB account linked to their oculus hardware and software there will be no issues moving completely to FB......;)

You see what i did there. lol

I dont have a facebook account linked to my account/headset.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
For me it's a strange situation really because until I know where Oculus is heading regarding PC -VR, I haven't really being purchasing much lately. I also have games I still need to finish like Lone Echo, but I just don't get a great deal of time lately.
The last I heard Oculus say anything about standalone PC -VR, was when Nate Mitchell was talking about Oculus keeping their VR Headsets at a certain price range and that the Rift S wasn't a big update to CV1. At that time he said there was no news on a more expensive PC -VR Headset with all the bells and whistles and that we would just have to wait and see. That was when Oculus Quest was launched, so if I've missed any talk about standalone PC -VR since then could someone link me to it please.
At this point in time I'm thinking Facebook are just going to run with Oculus Quests from now on. I say this because why would they produce a link cable for a PC, if they were also planning on producing another standalone PC -VR headset? This is only my opinion and other than that I really don't really have a clue what they plan to do. That's half of the problem for me though the not knowing what they are going to do next. I just hope if it is going to be Oculus Quests from now on that comfort will be improved and hooking it up to a computer will just be as good as standalone PC -VR. That would be great if they could get both PC-VR and mobile VR working together without any draw backs.

flibberflops
Expert Protege
Can anyone remember what VR stands for? When I invested in the Oculus Dev kits I was really excited at the new direction this technology was going. Unfortunately the genre has almost universally decided to mostly concentrate on creating something that looks like a back catalouge of 3D Nintendo switch games. The hardware has fallen on its arse too. After the big initial breakthroughs all we are getting now is a simular situation to mobile phones... new models that are a just bit better than the last.... and although some models have better features it seems impossible for someone to put all the good features into one headset.
 When i look at the reddit forum, I despare at the amount of people posting about their new headset sticker or wall mount holder. It just goes to state of the VR experience when the only thing inciting people to post is the possibility of someone being impressed by thier googly eye stickers . Lucky was aiming for ready player one... what we got was a bunch of rhythm games that you used to buy your little niece at Xmas!

Anonymous
Not applicable
These forums have got quieter since @vannagirl started posting less.

Come back to ussssss (meeeeeee)...pleeeeeaaassssseeee ???????

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

For me it's a strange situation really because until I know where Oculus is heading regarding PC -VR, I haven't really being purchasing much lately. I also have things I need to still finish like Lone Echo, but I just don't get a great deal of time lately.
The last I heard Oculus say anything about standalone PC -VR, was when Nate Mitchell was talking about Oculus keeping VR Headsets at a certain price range and that the Rift S wasn't a big update to CV1. At that time he said there was no news on a more expensive PC -VR Headset with all the bells and whistles and that we would just have to wait and see. That was when Oculus Quest was launched, so if I've missed any talk about standalone PC -VR since then could someone link me to it please.
At this point in time I'm thinking Facebook are going to just run with Oculus Quests from now on. I say this because why would they produce a link cable for a PC, if they were also going to make a standalone PC -VR headset? This is only my thoughts and I really don't have an idea what they planning to do. That's half of the problem for me though the not knowing what they are going to do. I just hope if it is going to be Oculus Quests from now on that comfort will be improved and hooking it up to a computer will just be as good as standalone PC -VR. That would be great if they could get both PC-VR and mobile VR working together without any draw backs.

Bingo! Some wise words I highlighted in bold there.
Plus the fact the last few updates seem to be centered on Quest, both in stand alone mode and in Link mode.

maxpare79
Trustee
As one of the old timers around (and former mods) I don't really post anymore, I was here at the very beginning when everything was new, no commercial headset were out, it was enthusiast talk discussing the tech itself. Now many options are out, and forums are now mostly going the way of the dodo. I am on a variety of forums going from, my model making hobby, my aquarium hobby, woodworking, etc. and most forum don't have the traffic they use to. Reddit took pretty much the first spot since there is now a reddit for everything and you can add all your topic of interest to a single feed. Sure there is ton of crappy post, but it's more convenient then a forum when you are on mobile.

As for the Oculus forum itself, well Oculus needs to take care of its customer and tell us whats in the works. Let's face it the Rift S was just a refresh of the Rift when questionnable design choices, and the Quest doesn't appeal the hardcore gamers. Quest 2 might, but the Quest itself no. And people who take time to post on forums are mostly the hardcore users, not the average joe. Oculus is now loosing on that department to the Index and pretty soon the G2. They need to get a new product out soon COVID or not, or at least make an official announcement of a new product. But since the S is always sold out, I don't think they see the need to. I sold my S during the Alyx frenzy for 90% of its original price. I don't want to pay the ridiculous amount they are asking for the Index for what it is, but the G2 seems like an interesting choice for the next step.

I love everything about the Oculus ecosystem, but they are close to becoming irrevelant to the hardcore gamers.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner