cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn’t it high time for a CV2?

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
Untill recently I have been developing apps on the now redundant DK2, (since Oculus updated their SDK and leaving old fashioned DK2 users stranded). So I am now thinking of upgrading, getting a brand new iMac, top specced while holding on to my PC as well, And looking out for the next gen in VR.. With the Vive Pro and the Pimax 8k in production I wondered where does it leave Oculus, which has now been around for two years with no major announcement of a CV2 as far as I know. I can afford to wait six months or so and to jump from a DK2 to any next generation. When I contacted Pimax, they kindly wrote back informing me that their Pimax 8K, once released, will be fully compatible with Mac OS High Sierra, no Bootcamp needed. This company obviously looks ahead and my heart jumped at the prospect. So now I decided to wait, if necessary to the autumn and judging by the Pimax’s presentations it iseems worth waiting as it will delivers a massive field of view and real high definition. How come, I wonder, is Oculus not throwing down the gauntlet and is simply content on focusing on a low grade, mediocre “Oculus Go” which is not exactly a quantum leap in terms of VR experience.

Technology is moving fast, how come Oculus is being left behind?
http://www.lightandmagic.co.uk Fantasy becomes Reality
101 REPLIES 101

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer
I dont see it as left behind.
Current Gen Video cards, even ultra high end, are having difficulties running VR apps w/o frame loss, etc.
The tracking on the rift, and its touch controllers are fantastic. Much better than any other VR systems I've tried. 

Sure, they could dump in some higher res screens, call it a "pro" and shove it on market with no improvement in FOV, or, anywhere else. 

Instead, I'd rather they wait for the next gen of video card, figure out a good balance of resolution and system performance, work on slightly wider FOV, and better lenses, and put out a true "Next gen" vr.  

So far, all the "new" vr is what I could call gen 1.5, and I want 2.0

Digikid1
Consultant
oh here we go again....

If you would search the forums you will see that this has been talked to death and beyond.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Oculus are far from been left behind. They are selling more headsets because of the price drop and to introduce a new headset now would be ludicrous. The hardware is only just starting to catch up to run such a device like CV2, so another years wait is about right. Good luck with your Pimax. I'm waiting for CV2, because it will be worth the wait judging by Oculus Go and it's new optics..

I'm confused. At 6:27pm in your other thread, you had bought a new mac and was considering buying a Vive... now it's 9:07pm and you're considering buying a new mac and a Pimax. Maybe Itsinthemind.

To avoid confusing everyone and yourself, it may have been better to keep everything in one thread!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus will launch the CV2 next year with at least 2K resolution. We'll either see a teaser for it at the end of their F8 keynote or a full reveal at Oculus Connect 5 in October.

HTC will also launch their own Vive CV2 next year with at least a 2K resolution.

I wouldn't hold too much hope on the Pimax being any good tbh. They might surprise us all, this isn't their first rodeo after all, but I have more faith in Oculus and HTC releasing a better second generation headset.

You also have to remember that Oculus are in the best position to produce a cheaper high end headset because they can sell (and have been selling) their hardware at cost and unlike HTC there are no licencing fees to pay because Oculus are using their own technology.

And we've already seen with the display and optics of the Oculus Go that Oculus are still ahead of everyone else in terms of VR R&D in both time and money spent. They've been at it a couple of years longer than everyone else and have an almost bottomless pit of money to spend.

And why have you been sticking with a DK2 all this time..? You should have got a CV1 so that you can be sure that your game's visuals look okay with the CV1's optics and displays.

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege

I'm confused. At 6:27pm in your other thread, you had bought a new mac and was considering buying a Vive... now it's 9:07pm and you're considering buying a new mac and a Pimax. Maybe Itsinthemind.

To avoid confusing everyone and yourself, it may have been better to keep everything in one thread!

Haha, bought it - being delivered beginning of April. Still unsure about the headset  🙂

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
Thank you all, taken on board your comments. Haven’t posted here for a while.

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege

snowdog said: And why have you been sticking with a DK2 all this time..? You should have got a CV1 so that you can be sure that your game's visuals look okay with the CV1's optics and displays.

DK2 was absolutely fine for testing, still would be but sadly is no longer supported as the new SDK no longer works with it. I have been hanging on to it, waiting to jump a generation as money is always an Issue. I still carry on developing without it, but at some point I will need to jump in. I want to feel the difference though. As it’s been two years I would hate to buy it now and find a few months later to be superseded. If nothing happens this year I may try something like the Pimax. They seem to be positive regarding native Mac support.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You say it's fine for testing when the complete opposite is true. The displays are a different resolution, the optics are completely different and the refresh rate is different too. You have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what your game looks like on the Oculus Rift.

I'm trying to think of an analogy but it's nearly 2am here lol

With regards to the CV2 models from both HTC and Oculus we'll probably see them both in a year's time, but we'll also see the price of the Rift CV1 getting cut to $299/£299 before the end of the year most likely.

Have you at least had a friend check out your software on a Rift or Vive to get some sort of idea how it looks on high-end VR consumer headsets? This kind of stuff is pretty important to know tbh.