Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's all about the glass!

lensmandave
Superstar
Sweviver does the XTAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPY_XNpn08
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
30 REPLIES 30

kojack said:

Mradr said:

Tried the XTAL a couple of times at the Hannover Messe - nice image but the hand tracking wasn't up to scratch.  And yes, it's huge!

@kevinw729 what is the EX?

Far as I knew - they don't have their own tracking - they use 3rd party tracking from Valve. Maybe this was 1st version of their XTAL headset? There has been at least 3 public versions.

It's also got built in Leap Motion 2 for hand tracking. @Hiro_Protag0nist  did you mean controller tracking or pure hand/finger tracking?

No controllers - just hand tracking using the Leap Motion.

There was a car demo where you could open the doors etc.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Dear Oculus, the Rift S isn't big enough and will look sensible(ish) when the thing is strapped to my face. Fuck you, I'm buying an XTAL or Pimax.

Don't bother messaging Oculus - just go direct to Facebook.

Unfortunately, for some strange reason known only to himself, Mr Zuckerberg has a restraining order in place preventing me from contacting him directly. 😞

snowdog said:

snowdog said:

Dear Oculus, the Rift S isn't big enough and will look sensible(ish) when the thing is strapped to my face. Fuck you, I'm buying an XTAL or Pimax.

Don't bother messaging Oculus - just go direct to Facebook.

Unfortunately, for some strange reason known only to himself, Mr Zuckerberg has a restraining order in place preventing me from contacting him directly. 😞

Isn't that 2 now?    😄

kojack
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Mradr said:

Tried the XTAL a couple of times at the Hannover Messe - nice image but the hand tracking wasn't up to scratch.  And yes, it's huge!

Far as I knew - they don't have their own tracking - they use 3rd party tracking from Valve. Maybe this was 1st version of their XTAL headset? There has been at least 3 public versions.

It's also got built in Leap Motion 2 for hand tracking. @Hiro_Protag0nist  did you mean controller tracking or pure hand/finger tracking?

Hmm, odd. I haven't tried Leap Motion 2, but I do have the original model and it works pretty well (except it doesn't quite get my thumbs in the right spot)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack said:

kojack said:

Mradr said:

Hmm, odd. I haven't tried Leap Motion 2, but I do have the original model and it works pretty well (except it doesn't quite get my thumbs in the right spot)

Well i've used the first in conjunction with other software and that too was an awful experience.  Of course, in both the instances i talk about, it might not be the Leap Motion or it's own software.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

Interesting - off topic - @kojack I am doing some research into consumer motion seat systems that have found their way into commercial entertainment application, do you know anything about those kind of systems - such as this:

[Edit: other than using Right-Click that is...]

hgdne9ph00vz.png

That looks like the dof reality seats I have one and its pretty sturdy.
The guy who makes them is a longtime member of the Xsimulator community. 

Only downside is while the function great its not exactly a commercial unit.
Many of its components are as you can see out in the open and unshielded.
That can lead to lawsuits when some idiot does something stupid while on one.
Or downtime if some idoit does something to break it.

They are easy to mantain though since they use wiper motors for directional movement.

I am in one of the videos in their promotion gallery because I altered mine abit to show that you could make a pretty kick ass flight unit out of one.
WAAAGH!

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

They are around 5000 dollars. For me it's like it doesn't exist

That firmly puts it in the nope category!
WAAAGH!

Luciferous
Consultant
Ok can we agree this is high end and not any headset Slightly better than the Rift S. ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to get MRTV to talk about anymore news on XTAL - but he is like "I am under the NDA so I can't say anything else about it" XD then the awkward silents:) I assume there will be more news from XTAL soon. Not sure what that really means - but sounds neat:)

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
VRgineers are in discussion with a number of parties towards their next iteration of their platform. However this will be an Enterprise approach for the time being and linked more to the CAD and Entertainment scene. As one that has links to the developers I am impressed with what they have achieved with limited resources, and when next in Prague hope to grab some more images of the latest design - but you will have to understand they will be keeping a lot of this under the radar to avoid the hyperbole that has impacted Pimax and StarVR.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959