cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judder almost gone covering frontal LED

aragdun
Honored Guest
i have being trying to get rid of judder for a while, reading the forums i found a post telling to cover frontal LED. i just did that and the results where really good. Judder almost gone completely, and apparently the lateral LED still give me some positional tracking, but minimal judder.
don't know if there is any fix or work around for this. I'm considering covering with some tape the frontal LEDs till oculus fix the problem. the experience is much better.
I also notice that some demos like Ocean Rift have minimal if any judder.
does anybody have similar results?
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will try this! Thank you!

I really want to know if someone is working on this JUDDER stuff from Oculus?! I mean JUDDER destroys for me any immersion and I did not read any where if someone has fix this and it is in the newest SDK and the games/demos are not completly updated or if we have to live with judder as developers now?
Can someone say something about this fucking judder problem?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
"lumbabumba" wrote:

I really want to know if someone is working on this JUDDER stuff from Oculus?! I mean JUDDER destroys for me any immersion and I did not read any where if someone has fix this and it is in the newest SDK and the games/demos are not completly updated or if we have to live with judder as developers now?

I would also like to know if someone is working on a fix. Seems even when you have the product in your hands your left in the dark not knowing.

What exactly do you mean by covering the front leds? Do you mean covering the whole of the front Rift up with something? And covering it with what exactly? Why would you do that instead of just unplugging the camera?

aragdun
Honored Guest
"lovethis" wrote:
"lumbabumba" wrote:

I would also like to know if someone is working on a fix. Seems even when you have the product in your hands your left in the dark not knowing.

What exactly do you mean by covering the front leds? Do you mean covering the whole of the front Rift up with something? And covering it with what exactly? Why would you do that instead of just unplugging the camera?

i mean to cover just the middle of the oculus from. You can put your hand in the oculus front in the middle while looking around, and just try it out and you will see the difference with and without the hand. if you cover the whole oculus, or unplug the camera or turn the camera away. you get 0 positional tracking. but if you cover just the middle you get positional tracking with the judder almost gone. it looks to me that the software is not computing well when all LEDs are working, when you cover the front one, less chance for errors.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
I haven't kept up with the details, but the guys reverse engineering the tracking so they can build their own Linux SDK apparently found a bug in the way the firmware flashes the LEDs. I have no idea if that could be where the judder is coming from or not, but it could be judder gets much reduced or eliminated next firmware update.

In the mean time, it's whatever works.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Anonymous
Not applicable
"ThreeEyes" wrote:
I haven't kept up with the details, but the guys reverse engineering the tracking so they can build their own Linux SDK apparently found a bug in the way the firmware flashes the LEDs. I have no idea if that could be where the judder is coming from or not, but it could be judder gets much reduced or eliminated next firmware update.

In the mean time, it's whatever works.

Thx. Some hope.

AmebousPeter
Honored Guest
You're seriously asking if Oculus is officially working on the judder problem?

Yes. Yes they are.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
"wacko" wrote:
You're seriously asking if Oculus is officially working on the judder problem?

Yes. Yes they are.

Well I hoped they would be because it's worse then any blur we were getting with DevKit 1. But link to where it says they are and what progress they have made.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Everyone here is keenly aware of the judder issues, though I don't know how much progress has been made in terms of actually solving the problem. For sure, we are looking into it.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

twingo557
Honored Guest
I am assuming that "Judder" is the micro stutter when moving your head.
I have had The rift for a few weeks, plugged it all in and away I went no issue with anything, no judder, zilch.
However having unplugged everything from the computer to move it then plugging all my USB devices cables back in I now get what I assume everyone calls judder, only slightly and only really noticeable in Elite which has always been silky smooth.
So I can say its not a CPU or GPU or Ram Issue as everything is the same which leaves me to believe its the way I put my usb devices back in? any thoughts?