cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jurassic Park: Trespasser

cristianfx
Explorer
I think this game has everything to be a good experience on the Rift. Plus the arm+aim!

what do you think??

CV1 and Touchs + 3 sensors From: Argentina
9 REPLIES 9

Silpher
Honored Guest
I freaking loved this game back in the day.

RiftXdev
Explorer
I agree, that's what I think.

the problem with VR is so many people want the experiences but so few are able to produce the content.

Supply doesn't meet demand = money to be made
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

cybereality
Grand Champion
I always wanted to play this game. For some reason I missed it (and it's hard to go back at this point).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cristianfx
Explorer
it was amazing and an slow experience, great for VR!
CV1 and Touchs + 3 sensors From: Argentina

kojack
MVP
MVP
The source code is available, but I can't find any info on how it was gained, it appears to be an illegal leak. But it does mean some pretty complete documentation on the file formats has been written. I like to reverse engineer game data formats (as a hobby and learning tool), but I wouldn't have guessed that the terrain heightmap in Trespasser was stored as a "zerotree" of wavelets. 🙂
(I don't have the source code, I've just read file format docs others have written)

Fabian Sanglard went through the leaked code and wrote a great article about how the engine works: http://fabiensanglard.net/trespasser/index.php
Really fascinating read for graphics programmers. Don't worry, he intentionally doesn't show any of the actual code or links to it, so you should be legally safe to read it.

The combat system seems perfectly suited to Stem or PrioVR, but at the time it was pretty horrible (something like 4+ degrees of freedom just to aim a gun using wrist and arm rotations, movement and physics affected aim, no ammo reloading (just throw a gun away when empty), only two items can be carried (if you wear a helmet, you can't carry a second gun, etc)).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

cybereality
Grand Champion
@kojack: Thanks, interesting article.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
It IS hard to go back.. a few months ago I popped in the original Unreal and played it for a while. It brought back a lot of memories, but the gap between how I felt about it then and how polygonal it looked now.... is enormous. But I guess it's only been 16 years or so. That in itself is a big gap. Playing Unreal on my new 3Dfx Voodoo 2 card was one of the biggest "wow" moments I've ever had.

Oddly enough, I have no recollection of Trespasser, despite playing most games of that era. Looks really cool though.

cybereality
Grand Champion
It was an "actual screenshot". LOL!

kojack
MVP
MVP
"cybereality" wrote:
It was an "actual screenshot". LOL!

As opposed to Trespasser, they were caught using faked renders on Silicon Graphics workstations as "screenshots". 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2