cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just To Confirm: DisplayPort and DVI Adapters DO Work!

cybereality
Level 15
So people keep asking about this so I did a test tonight.

I can confirm that passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters DO work without problem on the consumer Rift. In addition, regular DVI-to-HDMI adapters (like the one that came with the DK2) also work fine.

Keep in mind that I was using an Nvidia GTX 980 for this test, and your video card will still need to be compatible and capable of the bandwidth needed for VR.

Here are the ones I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B007NLEF3W

WARNING: Active adapters DO NOT seem to work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
139 REPLIES 139

Captain_Orso
Level 3
The above post fixed this for me 😄

I have a Sapphire R9 295x2 and of course the same issues as noted in this thread. Seeing the above post I looked for the same adapter, but with a Mini-DisplayPort plug instead of the normal DP and found this:

Cable Matters® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Male to Female Ad...

Just got it today, stuck it on and it works sofar without a hitch ❤️

Thanks SkateZilla!! See you in the DCS Forums 🙂

wd2x
Level 2
I can confirm that the Rift CV1 works with my Asus HD7970 (DC2T-3GD5) using the Cable Matters (SKU 102028) DisplayPort to HDMI 4K adapter.

This card does not have any HDMI port, only 4 DP and 2 DVI (one DL).

I tried DVI to HDMI adapter (24+1) and a none 4K DP to HDMI adapter which did not work. Always green in Oculus SW and white LED on in the headset but no screen on or only the right eye with this white blurry pattern mentioned also in the thread.

But with this adapter it finally works!

KrSTHiS
Level 3
I can confirm that StarTech.com DP2HD4KADAP works with the Rift on a GTX 1070.  It didn't help with the banding issue though.  

HDDVIFM8IN does work as well.  No correction in banding.

DP2HDMI2 does NOT work.

Disclaimer:  I do work for StarTech.com

rolldog
Level 2
I bought the Club DP to HDMI adapter and the Cable Matters DP to HDMI adapter to hook my LG C6 up to the DP, and the screen flickers and goes completely black every 10 seconds or so. I also get a pop up message telling me the PC is having difficulty communicating with the Oculus hardware. I've tried hooking this TV up to all 3 of the DP connectors on my GPU and they all do the same thing. I've actually had my LG C6 plugged in most of the day and never had any problems, but as soon as I start running something more graphics intensive, it all goes to hell. My only option now is to possibly using the Thunderbolt adapter, or keep switching my display and the Oculus out of the HDMI port.

rolldog
Level 2
Well, I got the Cable Matters and the Club3D DP to HDMI adapters in, and neither one will let me setup my Rift. If I plug my LG C6 into my PC when I power it on, nothing comes on the screen. If I switch it to HDMI, and remove the adapter, I get a picture. Once I'm in Windows and I switch back to the adapter, I get a picture.

The problems come when setting up my Rift. When I get to the part to setup the Touch, my screen flickers black, and when it stops, I have an error message telling me that it can't communicate with the Oculus hardware. I tried it with the adapter on the Rift, same thing.

My 980Ti are running SLI. Is all this compatible with SLI or should I remove the bridge and disable SLI? Also, if I do this, can I run each card independently so I can use the HDMI port on each card or will it only work hooked up to one GPU?  

Carnajo
Level 2
Hi everyone,

Bit new to this so apologies if this has been asked before but is the Oculus Rift hot plugable through the DP to HDMI adapter? What I mean is that can I plug it in while my PC is up and running as one would a USD device or must I shut down the PC and plug in the Oculus while the PC is off? I have a MSI GTX 980 Ti card (not sure if that matters).

Thanks!

Captain_Orso
Level 3
Yes, even if you've already started the Oculus software. In fact, it will tell you that it can't find the headset and ask you to plug it in :open_mouth: Works the same with the cameras, but the software will only request for one to be plugged in, even if you own to, like when you have the Touch Controllers.

Carnajo
Level 2
Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering if the same were true when using the adapter but another user said they'd lost monitors from hot-plugging so I'd rather be safe. Which is a pain because I can't keep the oculus in the whole time.

Captain_Orso
Level 3
I would suggest detaching the Headset, Camara(s), and Bluetooth Dongle for the Xbox Controller when not in use. It only uses power, and may prematurely burn some components out, if they are always attached and running. 

I can't recall ever having an issue with attaching them after the Oculus SW has already been started.

I can't say much about what "another user" has reported. Maybe he bought the wrong adapter; maybe his was simply defective. When somebody like Skatezilla, who I know knows what he's saying is correct, reports on something, if someone who I don't know from a whole in the ground contradicts what SZ stated, I'd need some pretty convincing evidence to believe it.

JamesG76
Level 2
This thread is great, but a little confusing. I hope someone can give me advice on my setup.
I have a GTX 1080 Ti (Gigabyte Gaming OC version), it has 3xDP, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI-D. Monitor is in DP, Rift is in HDMI right now. But I plan to get a 4K HDR TV, so how should I go about configuring that? I don't believe there are any DP to HDMI adapters that do 4k+HDR, right? So the rift is going to have to have an adapter, is there any option that gives no performance/quality loss?
i7-5960X @ 4Ghz - Asus X99A/USB 3.1 - 4x4GBs Corsair 3000mhz - CM Nepton 280L - GigaByte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC  - Samsung 850 Pro  (512GB), 850 Pro (256GB), 840 Pro (256GB) + 2x2TB HDDs + 2x4TBs HDDs - Corsair 1000 HXi - Corsair 730T case - Logitech G502 Proteus - Razer BlackWidow Keyboard - Acer XB270HA 27", 1080p, g-sync, 144Hz + 42" JVC HDTV 1080p - Windows 10 Pro x64.