cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just To Confirm: DisplayPort and DVI Adapters DO Work!

cybereality
Grand Champion
So people keep asking about this so I did a test tonight.

I can confirm that passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters DO work without problem on the consumer Rift. In addition, regular DVI-to-HDMI adapters (like the one that came with the DK2) also work fine.

Keep in mind that I was using an Nvidia GTX 980 for this test, and your video card will still need to be compatible and capable of the bandwidth needed for VR.

Here are the ones I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B007NLEF3W

WARNING: Active adapters DO NOT seem to work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
139 REPLIES 139

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
if only there was a way to change the refresh rate from 90Hz to 75 or 60Hz... that would dump alot of overhead and likely fix the Active Adapter Issues...

Debug Tool?

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, I don't believe there is an option to run Rift other than 90Hz. Sorry.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SkateZilla
Expert Protege

No, I don't believe there is an option to run Rift other than 90Hz. Sorry.

No worries, gonna upgrade soon so it wont be a problem hopefully.

Jypson
Honored Guest

Just for whoever is having the same problem. My videocard is an MSI R9 295X2 and I needed a mini displayport to HDMI adapter. Tried 8 different models and I can confirm that I found 1 single model that worked so far. Here is a list of models i tested and DID NOT WORK AT ALL:

Mini DP Adapter, [4-in-1 Adapter DP 1.2 Version/4Kx2K], Rankie Mini DisplayPort (ThunderboltTM Port ...

CSL - 4K Ultra HD Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter with audio transmission | certified | for Apple /...

Sold by: Your IT Delivered (Combined with a displayport to mini display port)

Also tried the CAC-1170 that is an actual mini display port to HDMI from Club3d and did not work as well.

StarTech Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Audio - Black

Mini Displayport To HDMI Adapter Cable For Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, Imac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini L...

Mini DP to HDMI, Rankie® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (ThunderboltTM Port Compatible) MiniDP to HDMI...

So avoid all the adapters above non of them worked, some had strange pink/green lines on the image and the rest just did not turn on at all. The Club3d one was displaying and the image was going off every 1 or 2 seconds.

NOW GOING TO THE ONE THAT MATTERS AND DID WORK PERFECTLY:

Cable Matters® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Male to Female Ad...

This one is the only one I found here in the UK that does work perfectly at least with my R9 295X2.

Now I'm back to packing up 7 returns for the non working ones.

Good luck and enjoy the rift

R9 295X2 owner as well. I purchased the exact one you mentioned (and many more :angry: ) but no joy. The screen works but is VERY fuzzy and has red vertical lines (looks like laser fire). I have two of them, and they both do the same.

I tried plugging into a laptop (HDMI), and it looks great, but of course cant actually run anything. Any suggestions?    

UdoG
Explorer

Do I have any pros / cons if I use a DisplayPort Adapter for the CV1?

Or it's better to connect the 4K Screen to a DP and use HDMI fo CV1? If the CV1 is connected to my DP I got an HDCP error (Event Viewer). But maybe that's not a Problem... 

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
I would use the rift on the native HDMI Port, and a TV on the Dp.

The 4K TV's are less sensitive to the DisplayPORT Adapters.. 

YoLolo69
Trustee
Does you guys at Oculus or from the Great VR Community can confirm than using the video card output DisplayPort with a Passive DisplayPort  to HDMI adapter DP1.2 (so 4K compatible) can improve greatly Oculus image quality and colors output, versus the usual HDMI output from the video card?

There is a hot topic about this on the VR part of the Elite Dangerous forum where an user, "Y2K", have found this and other users confirm it work. The adapter need to be passive, DP1.2 (4K compatible).

It could be really interesting if it's right, and I know I will buy one of those small and cheap adapter (less than 15 Euros or 10$) if it's confirmed by the Oculus Team orby  more users.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
I'm Wondering if the MiniDP to Full DP adapter is causing Pin/Lane Issues.

Pretty much everyone on GCN1.0/1.1 have confirmed the CAC-1x70 Club3D Ones dont work,

But I have friends on 7970s and 280x GPUs saying the MiniDP->HDMI Cable Matters Adapter Works.

I Ordered the Full DP-HDMI Adapter as I had the MiniDP to Full DP Adapter already.

But to my surprised I got no signal through it at all, Zero Zilch, not even to a 1080p Monitor.

MSI never answered my Email as to whether the MiniDP's were Dualmode or not, but One can assume they are, it's not like it tells you anywhere within AMD's newer Drivers.

The Weird part is people on nVidia GPUs report the CAC-1170/1070 as working, but AMD cards dont like it,

It's listed as Supporting all GCN Cards..

I wonder what everyone's FW Versions are for the CAC-1x70 Adapters.

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
Updated Firmware on Club3d Adapter (CAC-1170, same, no signal at all, Windows Recognizes EDID and Res, but unit stays off)

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
Just thought I'd give a lil update.

The Cable Matters DP to HDMI Adapter Cables Works for me after Switching my MiniDP-DP Adapter.

Previously I was using a "Cabled Adapter", Basically MDP Male Connector, 4 Inches of cable and a Female DP Connector, Then Attaching Cable Matters DP2HDMI to that.

I'm not sure at the moment where I got the MiniDP2DP Cable Adapter, I'm 99% Sure it's a StarTech Adapter, But it doesnt show on any of my order history for sites I use, but I'll verify later tonight, could have also been an adapter that came with one of my old GPUs (AMD HD7950OC etc)

Edit: This is the cable I was using, Model # "1030T119-001 1121"
After looking at old unboxing pictures, this came from my Old Sapphire 7950OC
6jbnlae8hag5.jpg

After noticing some signal issues, I pretty much came to conclusion the combo of the MiniDP Adapter and the DP to HDMI Adapter was blocking the rift signal somehow, DP2DVI adapter worked fine, But the Cable Matters DP2HDMI sent no signal to any screens 2K, Rift or 4K.

However Time and Money stopped me from doing any more ordering of adapters, I have a nice collection of 3 or 4 now (StarTech MDP2HDMI, Club3d MDP2HDMI, Accell MDP to HDMI etc)

So, While I was moving and digging around a few weeks ago, I stumbled across the Block MiniDP to DP Adapter that came with my Sapphire HD7870XT, By Block I mean there's no cable between the male and female connectors.
712c2d15jetj.jpg

Out of shear curiosity I decided to Plug the Cable Matters Adapter into this, and plug into the MINIDP Slot of my Card, And Hook one of my extra Monitors (When I was Running my 7970 Lightnings, I ran 5 Monitors), 

To My surprise, the monitor signal went through perfectly fine, all the way up to 1440p.

So, unplugged the monitor, and moved the Rift from the HDMI Port, to the Cable matters Launched Oculus App,
noticed the screen was light, waited a few seconds and presto, picture on the rift!.

So I Shut down the system and took the old GPU out and Put my 7970 Lightning Back in,
Hooked 5 Screens back up (3 MiniDP+ 2DVI) and then Hooked the Rift to the 4th MiniDP Slot,

All 5 Screens Were On, Launched Oculus, Waited a few seconds, and Presto!, Picture was Great, and there was less MicroStutters due to weaker GPU.

So,
Basically the BLOCK adapter plus the Cable Matters Adapter Work fine on my GCN1.0 MSI R7970 Lightning

And this block is made by Sapphire and still available for Purchase for the cost of a Burger.

So For Early AMD GCN Cards with MiniDP This Combination has worked on a 7870XT, 7950 and a 7970 Lightning:

Sapphire Block Adapter, $5.99 :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812999800

+

Cable Matters DisplayPORT to HDMI 4K Ready, $13.99 : 
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM