cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my rift.. Happy but no VR-Legs yet :)

Invoke
Honored Guest
Update:
After the help of other members my experience has improved greatly!
Now I just need to get my VR-legs and figure out why my rift motion sensor is being very choppy in Tuscany and VRCinema (head motion sensor works fine in other progams).

So about an hour ago the UPS man showed up with my devkit and i was really excited.
I hooked everything up, started the configuration utility, measured my ipd twice (switched to B cups because the A cups literally are for masochists as they tried to press my eyes into my skull) and fired up Tuscany.

Then I felt like crying, it looks like staring at a really low res almost flat image. I started walking around with my keyboard and looking with my mouse (because somehow moving my head made screen movement extremely laggy on my overpowered machine). And i'm still very dissapointed 😞

Please tell me i'm doing something wrong..!

So far the experience on my active 3d-TV is a trillion times better :/.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'd say put the A cups back in, and dial the front of the rift with a coin as far out as you can.

Invoke
Honored Guest
Will do!, just a minute
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

yibble
Expert Protege
Also, which resolution are you running in?

Invoke
Honored Guest
I set it to 1280x800, i just adjusted the assembly as instructed. Do i need to re-measure ipd too?

yibble
Expert Protege
I may be wrong, but I believe you do. What was your IPD if you don't mind me asking?

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
make sure your resolution is 1280 x 800 or 1900 x 1080 (better ) play half life 2 or download some other apps from the share center. Still though tuscany should not look flat at all. Yes download the oculus sdk and run the config for idp after you are finished that should look really good in 3d "ie the calibartion screen" Ceiss is really good 3d download that also half life 2 , helicopter demo , dreadhalls try some other things besides tuscany but sounds like you have a problem b/c again tuscany never looked flat to me. my idp is 62.75

HelloMeow
Explorer
Hmm. I didn't do anything special. I'm using the standard lenses, and they're almost touching my eyes. I think the rift is pretty impressive. It really felt like I was somewhere else when I first tried the Tuscany demo.

The resolution was exactly what I expected it to be, but I didn't anticipate the irrelevance of it. It turned out better than I expected.

The only downside is the motion sickness. I hope that goes away once I get used to it.
VRJam: Hexagon

Invoke
Honored Guest
I've just used a coin to set the screen further away, inserted a cups, remeasured ipd, and tried the settings viewer..
*breath of relief* .. I can see depth now! and i don't have much movement lag in the settings viewer thingy.

But things still look somewhat out of focus.. maybe I should have my IPD measured by a pro because I'm not really sure how far exactly i should move the green calibration lines, half-bar visible? , 80%? 1 pixel?.

I really appreciate the help guys 🙂 , i'll try fiddling some more and try the other demos.

would increasing the resolution to 1920x1080 really help, isn't it scaled down anyway?.

My IPD was measured as 63.1mm by the app.

@koningstoma strange, i don't have that experience yet. I don't really care about the motion sickness as i already have a cold at the moment it just adds to it, just pushing through it with mind-over-matter 🙂

I really enjoyed looking behind me in the settings viewer to see the red car , and the open door looks cool.

Elsig
Honored Guest
I'm wondering if this is a case of too high expectations?

It is indeed very low resolution and coupled with the screen door effect it makes it worse. But we knew that already. Try to forget about the resolution and it will help somewhat. This is the dev kit so don't expect high quality images.

I recommend trying some lower res demos. Dumpy the elephant, in my view. Is a great example of a game that works great on the dev kit. The graphics is blocky and low res so it matches the screen perfectly.