cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just got my rift.. Happy but no VR-Legs yet :)

Invoke
Level 2
Update:
After the help of other members my experience has improved greatly!
Now I just need to get my VR-legs and figure out why my rift motion sensor is being very choppy in Tuscany and VRCinema (head motion sensor works fine in other progams).

So about an hour ago the UPS man showed up with my devkit and i was really excited.
I hooked everything up, started the configuration utility, measured my ipd twice (switched to B cups because the A cups literally are for masochists as they tried to press my eyes into my skull) and fired up Tuscany.

Then I felt like crying, it looks like staring at a really low res almost flat image. I started walking around with my keyboard and looking with my mouse (because somehow moving my head made screen movement extremely laggy on my overpowered machine). And i'm still very dissapointed ๐Ÿ˜ž

Please tell me i'm doing something wrong..!

So far the experience on my active 3d-TV is a trillion times better :/.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
39 REPLIES 39

Invoke
Level 2
"DeepRifter" wrote:
Shot in dark but I don't recall seeing your specs. What graphics card? All the folks I demo to want to buy one and I keep telling them its going to cost them way more than 300 because they don't have the beefy rigs to support the rift.

Not the problem in my case, built my own workstation.. I do a lot of programming, virtualization, and gaming.
specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8320 Octacore @ 4.4Ghz overclocked (Watercooled)
GPU: MSI N670GTX PE 2GD5/OC 2GB @ 1.124Ghz can't remember what i clocked the VRAM to I believe 6.1Ghz (Watercooled)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz Corsair (Upgrading to 32GB soon)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB. And around 2TB of other harddrives~
Active monitors: 2x HP 23ix 1920x1080, 1x Rift

I don't have the motion sensor choppyness on Tuscany on my office pc here with integrated AMD graphics, just low framerate but that was to be expected.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

AnotherAtreyu
Level 4
"Invoke" wrote:

40 inch (102cm) Samsung D6200. The only downside to active shutter glasses is that they make the screen darker, but passive glasses are awful unless you sit exactly in the middle of your couch at the right distance, with active shutter glasses you can just lay down and such :).
I spent two years with a 47" Toshiba tl515u Passive 3dtv (ended up cracking the screen a few months ago) and I never had any problems with viewing it at a distance, or sitting farther or closer to the screen. We've had visitors over sitting and watching movies with us on our other couch which is at a near 45ยฐ angle from center, and they were amazed at how good the 3d was and not a single person complained. Also, the significantly reduced ghosting from crosstalk and the brighter colors and contrast made it a definite improvement over any Active shutter 3dtv I have ever tried.

Still can't be compared to the 3d in the Rift though! ๐Ÿ˜„
โ€œIf you are willing to look at another personโ€™s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.โ€ (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) โ€• Yogi Bhajan

snappahead
Level 5
My only beef with passive is the crumby resolution. Looks ok from a distance though.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Invoke
Level 2
"Snappahead" wrote:
My only beef with passive is the crumby resolution. Looks ok from a distance though.

and
"HappyHimitsu" wrote:
"Invoke" wrote:

40 inch (102cm) Samsung D6200. The only downside to active shutter glasses is that they make the screen darker, but passive glasses are awful unless you sit exactly in the middle of your couch at the right distance, with active shutter glasses you can just lay down and such :).
I spent two years with a 47" Toshiba tl515u Passive 3dtv (ended up cracking the screen a few months ago) and I never had any problems with viewing it at a distance, or sitting farther or closer to the screen. We've had visitors over sitting and watching movies with us on our other couch which is at a near 45ยฐ angle from center, and they were amazed at how good the 3d was and not a single person complained. Also, the significantly reduced ghosting from crosstalk and the brighter colors and contrast made it a definite improvement over any Active shutter 3dtv I tried

Let's agree to disagree then ๐Ÿ™‚ , to each his own.

Invoke
Level 2
"DauBe" wrote:
anyone find a cure to the motion sickness i get the spins super bad after literally 30 seconds =.= it sucks though cause i'm having alot of fun before i might puke =.=

You have to ease in to it which might take weeks or a month depending on the person, for me it's been getting better each day. try demos which are easier to do like VRCinema or slow movement in tuscany.
The key is to move slowly and take pauses (fake walking with my feet also works to some degree in riftocean)

DauBe
Level 2
"Invoke" wrote:
"DauBe" wrote:
anyone find a cure to the motion sickness i get the spins super bad after literally 30 seconds =.= it sucks though cause i'm having alot of fun before i might puke =.=

You have to ease in to it which might take weeks or a month depending on the person, for me it's been getting better each day. try demos which are easier to do like VRCinema or slow movement in tuscany.
The key is to move slowly and take pauses (fake walking with my feet also works to some degree in riftocean)

Awesome i'll give it a shot thank you ๐Ÿ˜„

Marculus
Level 2
"Invoke" wrote:

I've noticed moving the officechair in the same direction as the avatar in VR helps a bit, too.
But for me, it's still 5 VR-minutes vs. several hours feeling really sick.
oculus poculus sims.ala.bin

snappahead
Level 5
"Marculus" wrote:
"Invoke" wrote:

I've noticed moving the officechair in the same direction as the avatar in VR helps a bit, too.
But for me, it's still 5 VR-minutes vs. several hours feeling really sick.

Wow, what are you playing for those 5 minutes? I'm a little nervous about how I'll react.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Marculus
Level 2
"Snappahead" wrote:

Wow, what are you playing for those 5 minutes? I'm a little nervous about how I'll react.

Walking around in the tuscany-demo makes me feel dizzy. But don't worry, it seems like everybody has a different experience. It's just weird, because I'm used to play games with FOV=90 and I prefer swinging cameras to static cameras in racing-games. Also boats, cars,trains, etc. cause no problems at all. Maybe I'm a bit "rift-only-hypersensitive".
All I know, it's partly caused by the low Hz. I can still see small jerks on 150 Hz Displays.
oculus poculus sims.ala.bin

Invoke
Level 2
Also depends a lot on the lenses you pick and the IPD, if your ipd is a little off you'll get sick. I ordered an IPD ruler but until then i have to get by with the crappy measurements the oculus utility gives, already changed it from 64.2 to 65.3 manually which seems a bit better for my nausea.

I want to write about my 'day 3' experiences on my Diary thread today but I got really sick after trying out different IPD settings and then walking around in Malfunction for too long. ๐Ÿ˜ž I just recovered from it so i'm scared to put the rift on again.