cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just hope your device does not die. It will take months to get the replacement! :(

Wicked88888
Honored Guest

My son received Oculus Quest2 for Christmas. This device was a fantastic gift for a single child stuck in the house due to the pandemic. It was so amazing that I immediately purchased three more devices for my extended family in Canada and the US.

A couple of weeks later (January 10th), his Oculus reported that the fan was not working correctly. The device was overheating and sounded very loud.

I used the standard (albeit slow, two weeks) process and received a shipping label to send the device back to Oculus. Due to the Covid outbreak at the local UPS office, I had to arrange for the device pickup in my office. Unfortunately, UPS refused the pickup. Apparently, devices with batteries cannot be sent via Air/Priority - they have to be sent via Ground/Standard shipping.

I reported this to Oculus support via email on February 23rd, and since then, I have only received the "we are working on it" emails. I attempted to reach out to Oculus via chat, but even there, all I received was - give us 2-3 more business days to look into this. And all I need is a new UPS label. Even more frustrating - apparently, there is no way to escalate or contact the Oculus supervisor or a manager to provide any feedback.

It should not take two months to get the replacement device, and it should not take two weeks to issue a new UPS label.

Just my five cents. Help if you can. One child stuck at home for a year now would be very grateful.

5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Visionary

its a luxury device during a silicon chip shortage and factory hold due to the pandemic.  I would refrain from venting on forums, as it generally doesn't help the situation.  There are over 2.9 monthly users of the quest so there reject rates are acceptable.

Wicked88888
Honored Guest

I agree, however, issue here is that it takes weeks and multiple emails just to issue a new UPS label. They should know that UPS does not accept devices with batteries with Air/Priority shipping. I have no objections with the hardware (I know that sometimes cooling fans fail), and I don't mind taking the time to replace it. However, it should not take 2 weeks (so far) to replace the label. 

It is against federal regulation to ship something with a lithium ion battery by air mail.  The elevation change can cause explosions in flight, as the cabin that ships product is not pressurized.

Yes, that is why UPS rejected it and I have no objections. My issue and reason for the feedback is that it should not take 2 weeks (so far) to issue a new UPS label. Also, Oculus should be aware of this limitation and not issue Priority Labels if they are going to be rejected. 

considering an installed base of 2.9 million users and thin technical support they are trying the best they can.  Also tech support has little to no visibility of forums,   Venting here on forum doesn't help the cause.