cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased my Oculus today

Tranquil789
Explorer
I'm new to these forums and just saying hello to everyone! I hope you all are enjoying your VR experience! I can't wait to try this out, although my rift won't ship until August 😞 But I'm excited! What's it like watching a movie on this thing? I've seen lots of videos about game play and how immersive it is, but not much on the movie end. Is it better than watching on a traditional tv screen? Either way, I've been waiting to get me one of these for years! Can't wait! 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Watching movies is generally pretty poor given the significantly lower pixel density vs an HD TV.

mambo1888
Rising Star

I'm new to these forums and just saying hello to everyone! I hope you all are enjoying your VR experience! I can't wait to try this out, although my rift won't ship until August 😞 But I'm excited! What's it like watching a movie on this thing? I've seen lots of videos about game play and how immersive it is, but not much on the movie end. Is it better than watching on a traditional tv screen? Either way, I've been waiting to get me one of these for years! Can't wait! 🙂

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I think with regards to watching tv/movies its not something you would really use it for, its fun to try and you get some apps that make you feel like your sitting in a virtual cinema watching on an imax size screen is really cool but as TwoHedWlf says the resolution/pixel density is not that great for watching movies etc.

I do see there being times that I would enjoy watching a movie in VR though and that would be the likes of a long haul flight rather than watching on a pokey wee screen on the back of the chair in front or on an ipad etc you could slip on a gear vr or other portable vr headset and be watching movies in a virtual cinema with all the distractions around you taken away. 

Maxxgold
Rising Star

TwoHedWlf said:

Watching movies is generally pretty poor given the significantly lower pixel density vs an HD TV.

This is true, but watching 3D movies on a huge screen in Virtual Desktop is an awesome experience. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@  Maxxgold,watching in 3D ,the Picture from the Movie is better,than a 2D Movie,it is clearer ,sharper and
less SDE.

Tranquil789
Explorer

TwoHedWlf said:

mambo1888 said:

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I think with regards to watching tv/movies its not something you would really use it for, its fun to try and you get some apps that make you feel like your sitting in a virtual cinema watching on an imax size screen is really cool but as TwoHedWlf says the resolution/pixel density is not that great for watching movies etc.

I do see there being times that I would enjoy watching a movie in VR though and that would be the likes of a long haul flight rather than watching on a pokey wee screen on the back of the chair in front or on an ipad etc you could slip on a gear vr or other portable vr headset and be watching movies in a virtual cinema with all the distractions around you taken away. 

Bummer, so I guess it's more of a novelity than anything else, hopefully in a few years they come out with an oculus 4k or maybe even 8k? 😛 And that might help with the pixel density

xi11ix
Adventurer
Welcome to the community @Tranquil789

I'm in the same boat as you. My Rift won't be here until Aug.

Tranquil789
Explorer

xi11ix said:

Welcome to the community @Tranquil789

I'm in the same boat as you. My Rift won't be here until Aug.

Thanks xi11ix!

Yea, sucks having to wait, but in just a few short months we will have this beast!

god_alom
Adventurer

VR is amazing.