cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just purchased my Oculus today

Tranquil789
Level 3
I'm new to these forums and just saying hello to everyone! I hope you all are enjoying your VR experience! I can't wait to try this out, although my rift won't ship until August ๐Ÿ˜ž But I'm excited! What's it like watching a movie on this thing? I've seen lots of videos about game play and how immersive it is, but not much on the movie end. Is it better than watching on a traditional tv screen? Either way, I've been waiting to get me one of these for years! Can't wait! ๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

TwoHedWlf
Level 11
Watching movies is generally pretty poor given the significantly lower pixel density vs an HD TV.

mambo1888
Level 8

I'm new to these forums and just saying hello to everyone! I hope you all are enjoying your VR experience! I can't wait to try this out, although my rift won't ship until August ๐Ÿ˜ž But I'm excited! What's it like watching a movie on this thing? I've seen lots of videos about game play and how immersive it is, but not much on the movie end. Is it better than watching on a traditional tv screen? Either way, I've been waiting to get me one of these for years! Can't wait! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I think with regards to watching tv/movies its not something you would really use it for, its fun to try and you get some apps that make you feel like your sitting in a virtual cinema watching on an imax size screen is really cool but as TwoHedWlf says the resolution/pixel density is not that great for watching movies etc.

I do see there being times that I would enjoy watching a movie in VR though and that would be the likes of a long haul flight rather than watching on a pokey wee screen on the back of the chair in front or on an ipad etc you could slip on a gear vr or other portable vr headset and be watching movies in a virtual cinema with all the distractions around you taken away. 

Maxxgold
Level 8

TwoHedWlf said:

Watching movies is generally pretty poor given the significantly lower pixel density vs an HD TV.

This is true, but watching 3D movies on a huge screen in Virtual Desktop is an awesome experience. 
Inateck USB 3.0 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Valve Index Frunk Fan 3D Mod!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4012790

KMX
Level 4
@  Maxxgold,watching in 3D ,the Picture from the Movie is better,than a 2D Movie,it is clearer ,sharper and
less SDE.

Tranquil789
Level 3

TwoHedWlf said:

mambo1888 said:

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I think with regards to watching tv/movies its not something you would really use it for, its fun to try and you get some apps that make you feel like your sitting in a virtual cinema watching on an imax size screen is really cool but as TwoHedWlf says the resolution/pixel density is not that great for watching movies etc.

I do see there being times that I would enjoy watching a movie in VR though and that would be the likes of a long haul flight rather than watching on a pokey wee screen on the back of the chair in front or on an ipad etc you could slip on a gear vr or other portable vr headset and be watching movies in a virtual cinema with all the distractions around you taken away. 

Bummer, so I guess it's more of a novelity than anything else, hopefully in a few years they come out with an oculus 4k or maybe even 8k? ๐Ÿ˜› And that might help with the pixel density

xi11ix
Level 5
Welcome to the community @Tranquil789

I'm in the same boat as you. My Rift won't be here until Aug.

Tranquil789
Level 3

xi11ix said:

Welcome to the community @Tranquil789

I'm in the same boat as you. My Rift won't be here until Aug.

Thanks xi11ix!

Yea, sucks having to wait, but in just a few short months we will have this beast!

god_alom
Level 5

VR is amazing.