cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptops w/ switchable graphics not compatible with dk2?

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer
Can someone from oculus validate these claims as this is the first I've heard of such an issue?

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2ae65d/living_off_grid_best_current_laptop_for_oculus/ciu5r1...
210 REPLIES 210

danknugz
Superstar
I think most of the intel integrated graphics are now on-die too, chances of disabling the "card" are low.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

ThreeEyes
Explorer
The title is misleading, though. What is being discussed is not that it won't work. Just some frame rates aren't available.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

hellary
Protege
"ThreeEyes" wrote:
The title is misleading, though. What is being discussed is not that it won't work. Just some frame rates aren't available.

If there's no way around it then it'll be pretty awful for DK2 owners with affected laptops though. No low persistence. 60 Hz instead of 75 Hz. It's kind of like downgrading a DK2 to a DK1 with RiftUp + positional tracking.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
But it's not like it won't even light up. It will still work just with limitations. Granted, for some those could be significant.

I know lots love their laptops and that's all they have, but for the best graphics, desktops have always had the edge in versatility and horsepower.

The laptop problem, if this is real, is probably simply because all laptops frequently get hooked up to are projectors and standard monitors. Bet it only takes a design cycle or so for laptop makers to fix this. That doesn't help laptop owners now though.

I'm really curious how widespread the issue really is though. Could be a mountain out of a molehill. We'll know much more soon.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

nobylspoon
Protege
I just picked up an Asus G750JZ specifically for VR development. It has the best mobile GPU currently available (GTX 880M). I really hope this isn't going to be an issue...

Does anyone know if the same limitation is encountered when using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter?
Meerkat Gaming Dev Klepto - Burglary Simulator Oculus WIP Thread || Steam Greenlight Page TightropeVR - 2015 VRJam Finalist Steam Greenlight || [DK2 DEMO] || [GearVR pending UE4 update]

danknugz
Superstar
According to the posts, only the intel HD graphics is directly connected to the display port, and not the card, which is the reason for the issue, so anything coming out of the displayport has to go through the intel HD graphics and comes out at 60Hz
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

CountBorgula
Protege
Hmm, I was not aware of this either, been a long time since I have a laptop with an Nvidia GPU. I just got a new 14incher with GTX 850M, for general gaming but with also a mind to DK2. I do have a Desktop with a GTX 760, which I presume will be just fine. The laptop is really just for demoing the Oculus to friends and family, as I really can't be lugging a Desktop + paraphenalia around with me.

I did think it was odd when I did "dxdiag" with my new laptop that the display adapter showed up as Intel, when it id definitely an GTX 850M. Gaming does work fine though, can run Planetside2 and Skyrim at Ultra settings with no trouble. we shall see...

hellary
Protege
I saw in that reddit thread that some people have had 120 hz monitors running by using active display port adapters. No idea if that's actually true or not. There was a link to a guide which shows you how to disable mantle support entirely (on some laptops) in the BIOS, hopefully that will work. Obviously battery life will suffer but if you're buying a 'gaming laptop' then that's not an issue. :lol:

I'm sure all of this will get worked out in a few months. There's another issue that I remember seeing whereby some people using DK1s and mantle equipped laptops had quite a bit of added latency due to the whole nVidia GPU rendering stuff to the Intel's frame buffer before being rendered on screen. If it's possible to entirely disable Mantle then that shouldn't be an issue though.

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
I didn't realize low-persistence mode required 75 Hz - is that right?
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2