cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaked Roadmap Shows Four New VR Headsets From Meta by 2024

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/meta-plots-ambitious-vr-release-schedule-of-four-headsets-by...

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-vr-headset-roadmap-quest-3-4-project-cambria-release-date/

Apparently we have (internal code names):

- Cambria around september

- Stinson (Quest) in 2023

- Funston (Cambria sequel) in 2024

- Cardiff (Quest) in 2024

No other details were provided, so no idea what these headsets will feature.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
5 REPLIES 5

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

More info. The leak said Cambria would be around $800us.

Meta has actually jumped in to correct that. A spokesman said Cambria will be "significantly" higher than $800.

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-project-cambria-price-significantly-higher-800

In Aus, that works out to $1125au. It costs $1899.95au here for an Index, so I'm guessing it might be approaching that.

If the features are good, I'd still get one. BUT... only if they get rid of the Facebook login garbage. For that price I should be getting a business headset that gives ME control.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Djmarkat07
Level 3

This is so cool and I totally agree about the "Facebook garbage" as you call it. Its stupid to make a Facebook account just to experience vr. 

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I was hoping they'd hit the £800 mark, so 'significantly more' is edging towards a bit of a harder decision for me but I'll probably bite. The AR/MR side has the potential to open up a new world of uses to go with stand-alone and PC VR so I can convince myself I'm buying 3 headsets in one.

The Facebook thing is probably a part of what they were talking about in that the headset won't be subsidised,... no subsidy means no account.

tbh I'd rather have the thing for maybe £200 less and it uses the account, I don't use FB so it has zero affect on me, but I understand some people are just against it. For a grand (plus) though, I too would expect it to be totally unsubsidised though FB.

You're going to need an account of some kind to buy apps and if like me you don't use FB, a non-FB Meta account ends up being pretty much the same deal as a regular FB account that just gets used for VR. Just more expensive hardware.

I'm wondering if the comment by some journalists that Cambria buyers will be subsidising Quest 3 headsets has a lot of merit. I wasn't really expecting the advanced headset line to sell in huge numbers.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H2 (19044.1706)

Zenbane
Level 15

Very exciting news for VR Hardware. Quest 2 has been the leading VR HMD on the market for quite some time now, so it is nice to see some upgrades coming soon.

I am most excited to see which, if any, AAA titles get released alongside each new hardware launch.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The consumer headset next year should keep VR in game devs line of sight. Cambria will get press attention but the consumer numbers will bring about software releases for sure. I wonder how many people are now holding off buying headsets though because of the upcoming stuff.

I have a feeling Meta and Microsoft will focus on extended reality titles to make use of these headsets, and VR games will come from regular games devs at a steady rate, not necessarily tying in with the hardware launches.

Titles like F1 coming in a couple months are a super big deal and I don't think it's too wild a hope that the next Fallout has VR built in whenever that is!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H2 (19044.1706)