cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesser experience now with and after 1.31.0

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer
For me that use Oculus Home to start a game and then start the next game after exiting the first, and not really be in the Home environment and play around there (impossible with the XBox controller I use anyway? why?), this is definitely a step down. Mostly what I see is a white background with a dotted grid, and a much smaller menu/wall of interaction = less graphical. The Home environment should load and display immediately... Sometimes now it never displays and sometimes it comes lingering after 15 seconds. Unacceptable compared to before. Have a fast 1080ti system so performance should not be a cause for this.

Why is this, and why is it better then before? If not better, why not keep the old Home as an option?
4 REPLIES 4

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Same here - after using Home 2.0 for many days/hours I have not at all adapted and definitely think Classic Home was much better for many reasons that I'm not going to repeat here.

Furthermore I've had a few instances of severe stuttering I never experienced before - doesn't always happen though - I'm wondering if it's caused by Home 2.0 being a system hog and failing to shut down fast enough when starting an app. Never happens if I start the same app from the desktop - so Home 2.0 must somehow be involved. 2c. 
Classic Home could be a great center for Rift, Quest and Go - because neither Quest nor Go have the power to run Home 2.0. Personally I do feel that Home 2.0 has reduced my enjoyment of the Rift. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
Home 2.0 is loaded with the network: the long loading time is due to a slow network. It's definitely a flaw compared to Rift Core 1, but definitely not that "unacceptable". It's just a launcher, the appearance doesn't matter given that you stay in it only for a couple of secs.

That said I do agree Home 1 should have stayed as an option ^^. It's still there for the Go and probably will be there for the Quest, so who knows? Maybe you'll get it back.

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer
I don't believe my network is slow, what exactly is loaded before it can display?
After I exit a game and before I start another, what could it possibly want to load over the network to be able to display a static env that has not changed since last time?

Well, unacceptable was to take it too far, but since I only stay in Home a couple of sec, all the more reason to display it quickly, or else it's the white with dotted grid that is my impression... and that is no good - compared to old Home.

YoLolo69
Trustee
You can still use the Dash board during the loading, this is a parallel process which not slow down any ergonomic.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1